Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #7066
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSeils View Post
Can't we all get along?

Any way, instead of buying a lot off new equipment, have the following ever been considered?

1) Raise the FDR (maybe 5.0 - 5.2)
2) Absolutely NO TURBO
3) 21.5 motors - Everyone has them now anyway.
4) 2S Lipos - many people already have for other classes.
5) Setup your car accordingly.

With all of the "discussion" that I have been reading lately, I think the intended nature of this class has turned into the same problem TC is today. For those who don't know me, I use a ten year old car with a Havoc system, I work on my set up and try to drive a tight line. I don't always do great but sometimes I make the right moves and put up a good fight. Most of all I have FUN. So far all of the suggestions will be costing me a couple of pennies I don't have. I love racing the bodies but I'm not sure if I want to keep racing this class if it changes to much.

Let the flaming continue.
Oh you drive dirty and you know it. Excpet when you got that fancy body on it cand scratch that one up I been fealing the same way with the rules but is probly just gonna be wishfull thinking.I don't know about the 5.2 raito we tested it at RCP and you could take a nap going down the stretch. defenatly woulden't work at trackside 5.0 is not too bad I bet (maby) 4.6-4.8 is a good all around track gear
Old 12-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #7067
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Cain,

Goto : http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...am-decals.html
--- USVTA National Points Series Member #122 ---

[email protected] - http://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/279695-usvta-trans-am-decals.html
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #7068
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

thanks!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #7069
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Cheap Solution

Silver Can. There. I said it.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
Old 12-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #7070
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSign View Post
Silver Can. There. I said it.
Ach...yer thinkin' wi yer dipstick laddie!!

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 12-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #7071
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Ach...yer thinkin' wi yer dipstick laddie!!
Was that a compliment?
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #7072
Tech Addict

I like Mabuchi but:
Some ESC's can handle it and some can't:
Kinetic: yes
GTB: yes
Havoc sport: yes
Havoc Pro: no
SPX: yes
SXX: no
RS: yes
RSPro: yes
AE: ?

1:Guess who'll scream the loudest if they have one that won't run brushed?
2:It'll make the Red Dot guy happy, and will bring on the FEAR of being outgunned by $40-50 Mabuchis, or the guy that bought 10, trashed 5, sold 2 so-so's, and has 3 unbeatable motors that you can't get unless you have a dyno, $$, or source one out.
3:I bet while I was typing this some one posted "that we've covered this and we're sick of it."
Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #7073
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

Last year me and my 2 boys all ran 1/12 stock pan, and this year when that class switched to 1s lipo/brushless I found myself stuck with thirteen high-end matched 4-cell 4200, 4600 packs. Having hundreds of dollars of suddenly obsolete equipment isn't a good feeling.

Then I discovered VTA. Perfect, a cheap class to use those packs in along with my still good brushed electronics. Nope, 27T brushed wasn't even close to competetive so I went brushless 17.5. So much for cheap. Speed is OK now but still not nearly as fast as 21.5 guys. Why can't it just stay a stock freakin' class?

Screw it, I'm going to keep running my 17.5 on 4-cell and going slow until someone bans my round cells in this class too.

Last edited by RC Dad; 12-23-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #7074
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacjr0 View Post
I like Mabuchi but:
Some ESC's can handle it and some can't:
Kinetic: yes
GTB: yes
Havoc sport: yes
Havoc Pro: no
SPX: yes
SXX: no
RS: yes
RSPro: yes
AE: ?

1:Guess who'll scream the loudest if they have one that won't run brushed?
2:It'll make the Red Dot guy happy, and will bring on the FEAR of being outgunned by $40-50 Mabuchis, or the guy that bought 10, trashed 5, sold 2 so-so's, and has 3 unbeatable motors that you can't get unless you have a dyno, $$, or source one out.
3:I bet while I was typing this some one posted "that we've covered this and we're sick of it."
1. Buy a cheap brushed only ESC. If you can throw down $150 for an RS you can do it.
2. That guy is a %&$#@!?&% and everyone knows it. The world is full of them. Just race and don't talk to him.
3. I'm sick of it. This is a great class (along with RCGT) and still cheaper than foam or rubber.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #7075
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default badsign

In your last post about the red dot guy. So, you think it's bad when someone figures out how to tune a motor? What about all the motor "tuners" both now and in the brushed days, are they $&*@&$* also? Get a clue. Silver can is a terrible solution, because then you will have to buy a $40 silver can just to keep from getting blown off the straight.

It seems that the point of many posts is: you already made rules, stop changing them!!!

I agree, just ban turbo.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #7076
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Silver can is definitly NOT the answer!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #7077
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My .02 if there is a change I'd much rather it be one that's NOT gonna cost me more money. I feel like many that a change in FDR,profile changes and no turbo is the most common sense way to go about this. News flash for some of you not all of us have the extra coin laying around to buy more stuff many of us this is the only class we race.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #7078
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Silver Can with a buy out clause. After any heat you can buy anyone's motor for the current Tower Hobbies price.

Or just ban Red Dot motors.

Or just do random hand-out motors. You can't get the same motor two meets running.

Or just spec the speed with a radar gun... wait a sec... doesn't a VTA program already do that? I'm suprised those people haven't chimed in yet.

Run whatever the heck you want, you just can't exceed XXmph at the end of the longest straight. You can tech that while people are checking in with the timing system.

And if you don't have a radar gun, use a stopwatch. Mark a start line, finish line and get a running start. You can't be under XX seconds.

Now, if someone is really willing to sandbag a speed or time check, play a game of RoShamBo... everyone else gets to go first.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #7079
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406
Default slow down VTA

LOL it's sad like confessing to an addiction but

"Yes I have a GTB" is a sad tone of voice.

I think the most logical solution is limit FRD to 5.0 and not allow timing boost. Just turn off the boost and slow down the speeds on the straights.

I have ran at a few events that have limited the gearing to 5.0 FDR and it's still fast enough and the racing was close. The advantage was that the timing advance speedos were going into the 5.7 to 6.0 ratio to beat you in the infield and the boost function to motor you on the straights too.

I'm out till I get a new speedo or the rules get changed to stop boost. I like many others are not interested in buying 1s lipos and new motors after running VTA for a year with this equipment.

Best case is

limit gearing and turbo IMO
Old 12-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #7080
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

My motor is already silver, with a pretty purple stripe

I think the logical solution would be to divide the class into 2 groups, the ones that wanna go fast and the ones that dont. Seems logical to me from what I gather the fast guys dont really wanna go slow and the slow guys dont really wanna go fast and neither group wants to buy new equipment so...What to do??