R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #6991
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Those rules as you have posted from what I recall were changes themselves as USVTA, going from memory here, initially didn't have a lipo and 21.5 rule set.

If they are wanting to slow things down in VTA, change will be needed there too.

But you will always be fighting against the common racer mentality that within the context of the rules being used, people will try to go as fast as they can.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #6992
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Why is it legal to run a $400 chassis? Everything that has happened is within the rules anyway and you can absolutely still put a tub car on the track and still be competitive.
The idea was that with the speeds down lower there was no particular advantage to having an advanced chassis and no need to regulate it out.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #6993
Tech Legend

Amain looks to have more of the 21.5 ballistics in stock, so if you are in need (I just ordered one), theres an option for ya.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #6994
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
I
What about allowing 17.5 with a 1c lipo as well as 21.5 with a 2c lipo and controllong the MAHs of the batteries? My reasoning is this....I tighten up my vintage-style wheels and tires, throw a 1c batt in my 17.5 car, pin down my 68 Camaro body and race VTA. Now I unpin the Camaro, change my wheel/tire combos, pull the 1c, slide in the freshly charged 2c, pin down my Porsche body, and race the RCGT race. Same car, same motor, 2 wheel/tire set ups, 2 batts, 2 bodies, 2 classes.

Am I way off base here?
That's is almost exactly my plan for my car, except with 4 cell nimh/17.5 and jump to 2 cell lipo/17.5 for stock sedan style racing.

I've done it with 4 cell/27t VTA and switched to 2 cell lipo/27t for our local "mod" class with sedan rubber and HPI NSX body, it worked great. The 4 cell and 2 cell were within 10 grams so rebalancing was not an issue.

Time to do the switching was the hardest part.

Thankfully we have an awesome club (Capital Dirt Burners, Boise, Id) that just set up the heats so that racers would not be back to back. We have slash racers and onroad racers that race multiple classes with the same vehicle. That way marshalling and pit time were accommodated.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #6995
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

From what I've gathered we're getting close to an official ruling on slowing the cars down. Our options appear to be...
1.) single cell, ? motor, any esc/software?
2.) 2 cell, 25.5 motor, spec esc
3.) 2 cell, 21.5 motor, spec esc

Is this what other people is seeing?

www.summitrcraceway.com
Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #6996
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
From what I've gathered we're getting close to an official ruling on slowing the cars down. Our options appear to be...
1.) single cell, ? motor, any esc/software?
2.) 2 cell, 25.5 motor, spec esc
3.) 2 cell, 21.5 motor, spec esc

Is this what other people is seeing?
I know I am only one person but if it goes to spec esc I will be quiting the class. I don't like the idea of being forced to run one companies electronics, especially when I don't care much for that companies electronics. It's bad enough that I have to run their motor.

Personally I say leave the class alone and let everyone worry more about going out there and having fun and less about constantly trying to find something to complain about. That's just my opinion of course and I am aware that it means nothing.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #6997
Tech Legend

I guess it would also depend on what kind of rules your local track wants to run too. It may be something you want to address with the track director and other racers.

Out here, we allow any motor, but have other VTA limits like the mah size on battery packs. Other places are strict USVTA rules, so guys who plan to attend those events are either using ballistics or have one on had to use when the rules require.

I guess to me the options I am seeing for slowing things down are as follows:

- 25.5T motor with 2S lipo
- 21.5T motor with 1S lipo

I could even see a 25.5T motor with a 1S lipo setup as well. And the only reason I am seeing 1S lipo as an option is that its becoming very common to use 1S lipo in other onroad classes.

I guess it depends on how slow do you want to go, and where is it most cost effective to have people put the money. Its true, you want to play, you pay, but, if you can have more people stay and play one way versus another, you probably go with that way.

I would think since the USVTA limits to novak motors, if they have some sort of a swap program for older SS motors (as I think as already been stated), its a relatively cheap option to just get the motor configured to 25.5 versus having to buy new battery packs, especially if you use more than one pack.

i picked up the ballistic just for this reason alone, even though we out here run any motor, who knows, the 21.5 could be switched to 25.5, and its easier and cheaper to just replace the stator than for me to purchase more lipos to equip 2 vehicles, or, now have a motor that is not good for any other class.

My only concern, what happens when 25.5 then becomes too fast? Before 21.5 was good enough, now its too fast. At what point is what we have considered good enough, regardless of the changes in ESC tech?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #6998
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

I could even see a 25.5T motor with a 1S lipo setup as well. And the only reason I am seeing 1S lipo as an option is that its becoming very common to use 1S lipo in other onroad classes.
In 1/12th pan car, the drive trains on TC car aren't nearly efficient enough for 1s /25.5 to ever be an option for VTA, not to mention the weight of the cars. It would be Radio Shack slow. Don't really think that's the direction the class need to go.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #6999
Tech Legend

I am happy with 21.5 and 2S lipo right now myself.

I guess what I should have said was that it wouldn't shock me with the way people keep finding ways to make stuff go faster in faster, things keep going down to make it slower and slower.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #7000
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I am happy with 21.5 and 2S lipo right now myself.

I guess what I should have said was that it wouldn't shock me with the way people keep finding ways to make stuff go faster in faster, things keep going down to make it slower and slower.
Lol funny isn't it? Say it it's even funnier, "slow racing" Now there's an oxymoron for ya... Anyway I am also happy with the 21.5 and 2s lipo and the rules as they are.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #7001
Tech Legend

you got that right.

I am just glad I no longer have to do motor voodoo anymore. At least I feel I have more of a fighting chance this way.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #7002
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well whatever happens I would like to know ASAP I have my car and my 14yr old sons car to foot the bill on.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #7003
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default entire reason for cars getting faster

The biggest reason why the 21.5 cars are faster are the advanced timing esc. If you don't allow the turbo or advanced timing mode, the entire problem is solved. Every turbo esc allows you to turn off the turbo, making it the same as every other non-turbo esc.

What is so complicated about this? Going to yet another motor is IDIOTIC. Everyone is already running 21.5's that you can't run in anything else (except oval.)
Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #7004
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
The biggest reason why the 21.5 cars are faster are the advanced timing esc. If you don't allow the turbo or advanced timing mode, the entire problem is solved. Every turbo esc allows you to turn off the turbo, making it the same as every other non-turbo esc.

What is so complicated about this? Going to yet another motor is IDIOTIC. Everyone is already running 21.5's that you can't run in anything else (except oval.)
+1
RCP Customs-RC Juice
Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #7005
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

EXCELLENT!!!

We've got the VTA Johnny come Latelies preaching to the VTA newbies.

Our work is complete.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Closed Thread