Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
for the Novak race or period from this point on?
From about 4 or 5 hours ago
Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

An interior is available from McAllister-#423 Stock Interior and Driver, along with a smaller driver figure #419 SPRINT CAR DRIVER

The interior picture is actually from a copy of Car Action from 1989 I happened to be looking at today. It is the exact same one as he has for sale. You will need to cut it down a bit for the TA bodies

I also need to confirm it but the driver from the original RC10 kits is still an active part number from what I have been told.

Thanks to Eric Whiteside and Bob Oaks for this info.

EDIT #6810 is shown on the Associated website!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-mcinterior.jpg  
Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

VTA racing video!

http://vid610.photobucket.com/albums...11-29-2009.flv
Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gacjr0
Bitchin' avatar!

Rob, thank you for providing a sensible solution to the issues currently facing USVTA. The rules provide good racing at all the tracks fortunate enough to have this class gracing their drivers stand. The rules are flexible where they can be, and strict enough to avoid some of the nonsense other classes are suffering with.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

I don't know why people are so uptight about jumping their 12th scales, you just have to land on the wheels! I almost took my vta off the jumps we set up for the slashes, just for giggles. I have a Tamiya Hotshot that has 12mm hexes and gave a moments thought to putting those on for a car body on a truck frame (http://media.photobucket.com/image/c...9/slingray.jpg) redneck feel.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Is there much of a difference between the SS21.5 and the Ballistic 21.5 motors performance wise?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowcel
Is there much of a difference between the SS21.5 and the Ballistic 21.5 motors performance wise?
Nope....none....zippo.

From what I was told the Stator on both is built with the same material and the same way so the end results are the same. I have tested and seen both motors run back to back and there is ZERO performance increase or decrease between the two.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Nope....none....zippo.

From what I was told the Stator on both is built with the same material and the same way so the end results are the same. I have tested and seen both motors run back to back and there is ZERO performance increase or decrease between the two.
Thanks, you just saved me some money. I just wish the Duo2 was approved.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A quick recap of my VTA racing over the weekend...

A new indoor carpet track opened up in Indianapolis at the Marion County Fairgrounds. Check here for more info (http://rcarassociation.org/index.html). They had their 1st Annual Cold Turkey Classic on Saturday. Overall turn-out for the event was decent with 17 VTA entries along with other classes (1/12 scales, RCGT, HPI & Tamiya F1).

I finally got around to buying a Checkpoint 5000 mah Lipo. I've been using an Orion 3600 for a year and I felt it was time to upgrade. However, I've resisted the urge to buy a new chassis or speed control for VTA. I'm still using a TC3 with an LRP Comp TC (on profile 7). My stubborness was rewarded on Sunday. While other drivers with newer cars were struggling with traction rolls, I found a setup that I could drive hard into every corner. I was TQ after 2 rounds and ended up 2nd in qualifying. In the main I got off to a decent start, but hit a plow disc and ended on my lid on the first lap. I fell towards the back of the 10 car A-main, but was able to drive my way back to 2nd at the 5 minute mark. I needed help to catch the leader who had a 1/2 track lead. At 6 minutes the leader got tangled up with some traffic and I caught up to his bumper. Unfortunately he drove better and I wasn't able to pull out a win. Still I was very pleased with racing.

The track was teching ride height and battery voltage before each heat. They were not enforcing any speed control profile settings. I felt that at least on Sunday that my car was just as competitive as any chassis and any of the cars running Tekin speed controls. The winner in VTA had a newer X-Ray and a Tekin controller.

I'm not trying to spark any more debate on speed controls. However, I am trying to point out that I got more out of my car by working on a better setup for my TC3 and paying more attention to traction levels this weekend than worrying about someone with better stuff. Regardless of my overall finish, I had fun knowing that a 10 year old design was competitive.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
The winner in VTA had a newer X-Ray and a Tekin controller.

I'm not trying to spark any more debate on speed controls. However, I am trying to point out that I got more out of my car by working on a better setup for my TC3 and paying more attention to traction levels this weekend than worrying about someone with better stuff. Regardless of my overall finish, I had fun knowing that a 10 year old design was competitive.
Mark runs an 009 Xray with an SPX esc on profile 8 (I think) I'm sure of the chassis and the esc anyway.

Your car looked great all day without a doubt, not that it ever really looks bad
Old 11-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I watched the VTA class at the Champs this past weekend and got to see an awesome driving clinic put on by Jim Peirsol (hope I spelled that right, lol). He was running a JRXS-R and LRP speedo. Even though the tech was a joke and they checked nothing as far was timing/turbo/gearing/etc., It was very clear to me that Jim was NOT using the superboost functions of the LRP. Actually, I don't know which LRP he was using, if it was even an SPX or Sphere. He wasn't even the fastest car down the straight, but he ruled through the infield with mad corner speed. The car was DIALED and he drove like it was a darn 1/12th scale car. He also didn't tag and boards and didn't force any passes and get tangled up with traffic. That's the reason he was TQ by a lap over the field, not because he was playing any games with the latest and greatest speedos. Mad props to ya Jim!

Also, the bodies used by the top three were an HPI Camaro, HPI GT350 Stang, and a Pegasus Stang. There was also a HPI Cuda in the top 10. Seemed like most ppl were using the Camaro, but I don't know if that was an actual handling issue or just because its more durable than most other bodies.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
A quick recap of my VTA racing over the weekend...

A new indoor carpet track opened up in Indianapolis at the Marion County Fairgrounds. Check here for more info (http://rcarassociation.org/index.html). They had their 1st Annual Cold Turkey Classic on Saturday. Overall turn-out for the event was decent with 17 VTA entries along with other classes (1/12 scales, RCGT, HPI & Tamiya F1).

I finally got around to buying a Checkpoint 5000 mah Lipo. I've been using an Orion 3600 for a year and I felt it was time to upgrade. However, I've resisted the urge to buy a new chassis or speed control for VTA. I'm still using a TC3 with an LRP Comp TC (on profile 7). My stubborness was rewarded on Sunday. While other drivers with newer cars were struggling with traction rolls, I found a setup that I could drive hard into every corner. I was TQ after 2 rounds and ended up 2nd in qualifying. In the main I got off to a decent start, but hit a plow disc and ended on my lid on the first lap. I fell towards the back of the 10 car A-main, but was able to drive my way back to 2nd at the 5 minute mark. I needed help to catch the leader who had a 1/2 track lead. At 6 minutes the leader got tangled up with some traffic and I caught up to his bumper. Unfortunately he drove better and I wasn't able to pull out a win. Still I was very pleased with racing.

The track was teching ride height and battery voltage before each heat. They were not enforcing any speed control profile settings. I felt that at least on Sunday that my car was just as competitive as any chassis and any of the cars running Tekin speed controls. The winner in VTA had a newer X-Ray and a Tekin controller.

sweet....really good to know that Brian....cant wait to put my TC3 up against yours again....
Old 11-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default timing

just turned up the timing on my ss21.5 My buddy running the same exact setup can't figure out why he can't keep up
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrxsMike03
just turned up the timing on my ss21.5 My buddy running the same exact setup can't figure out why he can't keep up
As with all racing, it's more about YOUR driving, car setup, etc. rather than what the other guy is has or is doing.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All I have to say is , at least R.O.A.R hasn't adopted these silly rules...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.