Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Professor
just wondering what fdr is working best with 21.5 & 2 cell lipo & are u running to a fixed or restricted fdr

thanx graham
from what I've found at my track this summer, is its dependent on the driver and speedo

I ran 4.7 (in my cyclone) with my tekin RS and felt just as quick if not quicker then a buddy who was running closer to the 4.2 limit...

if your track doesn't worry about speedos with boost, then the higher FDR seem to work better
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by k_bojar
from what I've found at my track this summer, is its dependent on the driver and speedo

I ran 4.7 (in my cyclone) with my tekin RS and felt just as quick if not quicker then a buddy who was running closer to the 4.2 limit...

if your track doesn't worry about speedos with boost, then the higher FDR seem to work better
Exactly. If your car can carry corner speed well and the layout supports it, 5.0 can be very fast. But if its a relatively tight track and/or you are scrubbing off speed in the corner I've seen as low as 6.0 yield comparable track times.
4.2 - mainly a big outdoor track / non timing advance thing. Our track went to a 5.0 limit and most people that were at 4.2 got quite a bit faster at 5.0.
Just because something is a "limit" doesn't always mean that's the fastest!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

Here we go again....

Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That is beautiful and looks like a late 60s paint scheme! Very nice.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thank you.......
Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You guys suck! Making me look bad!

Seriously though... nice job!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default fdr

thanx k bojar & jason56 for your input & comments im now in the testing process to see what works best

graham
Old 10-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Vintage Trans-Am Race Fort Wayne, IN

November 15 is the 3rd leg of the Midwest Great Lakes USVTA series at Summit R/C Raceway in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Doors open at 8 AM and racing begins at Noon.
The Vintage Trans-AM class is the main event, but other classes will be offered with at least 4 racers present for the class.
Check www.summitrcraceway.com for information on the track, maps and other info. Information specific to this event will be up soon. Check out our results page for the recent results and results from last years Midwest Series race. Hope to see you all there!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xevias
A few pages back there are sugestions on where to get driver figures. The problem is that they are very modern NASCAR molds. The only figure I've seen that comes close to vintage might be the Tamiya stuff from the 80's. Not easy to find if you don't know what to look for. Plus all the drivers look the same.

Until real vintage stuff is made like the following, I'm not going to pollute my 1969 Cuda with a 2006 driver. Anyone know where I can find this driver helmet?

Close to this???????

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-Porsche-9...item3a5277ce78

Don't know if you could just buy the heads seperately. I just bought a set (different set) from him. Quick postage to Australia, Excellent service!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I think SOME folks are trying to overcomplicate things as a rationalization not to do them.

This class is called "Vintage Trans Am", the reason for this is it is a MODERN recreation of the pony car wars of the late sixties and early seventies. If you've ever been to a real vintage race, certainly one of the vintage Trans Am events, you will see MANY drivers wearing modern safety gear including helmets. In fact several drivers have been wearing HANS devices as well and now some of the bigger vintage racing sactioning bodies are requiring HANS devices.

If, as the person who MUST have an open face helmet for fear of "polluting" his car, we were trying to pretend it was 1969 again we wouldn't be calling it "Vintage" anything...if it was 1969 we'd just call it TransAm.

FURTHER...as the cars are careening around the track a casual observer CAN see that there is a driver representation in the car. Easily seen. You cannot, however, tell whether the helmet is full-face or open-face. Hell, I can't tell what color the helmet is unless it's REALLY bright.

In short, give it a rest.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I think SOME folks are trying to overcomplicate things as a rationalization not to do them.

This class is called "Vintage Trans Am", the reason for this is it is a MODERN recreation of the pony car wars of the late sixties and early seventies. If you've ever been to a real vintage race, certainly one of the vintage Trans Am events, you will see MANY drivers wearing modern safety gear including helmets. In fact several drivers have been wearing HANS devices as well and now some of the bigger vintage racing sactioning bodies are requiring HANS devices.

If, as the person who MUST have an open face helmet for fear of "polluting" his car, we were trying to pretend it was 1969 again we wouldn't be calling it "Vintage" anything...if it was 1969 we'd just call it TransAm.

FURTHER...as the cars are careening around the track a casual observer CAN see that there is a driver representation in the car. Easily seen. You cannot, however, tell whether the helmet is full-face or open-face. Hell, I can't tell what color the helmet is unless it's REALLY bright.

In short, give it a rest.
Pretty much my thoughts, the reason I have bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tamiya-Skylin...item3a5277cd3d

Modern drivers driving cool vintage cars. Here in Aus, I'm just doing it for the look. I don't mean to put others down, but a drivers head with no body or a head/body combo with a screw through the roof does NOT make the car look realistic at all. If you do get close enough to see the helmet you'll see the gaps and/or the rest of the chassis anyway. It takes away from the overall look. Do it properly or don't do it at all.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
Pretty much my thoughts, the reason I have bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tamiya-Skylin...item3a5277cd3d

Modern drivers driving cool vintage cars. Here in Aus, I'm just doing it for the look. I don't mean to put others down, but a drivers head with no body or a head/body combo with a screw through the roof does NOT make the car look realistic at all. If you do get close enough to see the helmet you'll see the gaps and/or the rest of the chassis anyway. It takes away from the overall look. Do it properly or don't do it at all.
I was actually referring to the person you quoted--it sounds like you're going above and beyond, not so much "complicating" as doing a thorough job of it. That tray you link to will work perfectly...for an Aussie Touring Car (nee Trans Am car) with the right-hand driver. Now you need to pick up one of the Pegasus '69 Mustang bodies and do Alan Moffat's car, or a Pegasus '70 Camaro to do one of Frank Gardner's cars (a worthy tribute to the recently departed racing great).

I'm in FULL agreement that a screw through the roof and into the driver's head is a non-starter (in my book, anyway). I'm not sure how much I worry about the "no body" (there ARE practical considerations after all) but a full tray wouldn't be difficult at all, would enhance the look of the car immeasurably, and make everything easier to mount as well. Plus a properly done tray can be changed from body to body so you only really do it once.

Back in the day (not even 20 years ago) a full tray was required--windows HAD to be clear and you couldn't see electronics through those windows. It was the rule, everybody complied with it, no one was at any advantage or disadvantage.

Congrats on your effort!! I'll spend some time this year figuring an interior out that can be done inexpensively and fairly easily (if it requires some resin casting I'm well-equipped and reasonably skilled, but my vac-former is too small for 1/10 interiors) so we can incorporate the rule for next year. It came too late for us to incorporate this year.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Isn't that driver on the wrong side?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Three
Isn't that driver on the wrong side?
Not if yer an Aussie TA... Note where Sith Lord is located
Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They race in the land down under. Where women glow and then plunder. Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.