Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #6541
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Not that I would choose it over other newer options like a T2 09 or a Photon. But I would like to see more about this BMI TC3 I never knew Jason did an upgrade for those.
Uh...what would you think if I told you Jason's handle here on RC Tech is "proTC3"?

If you've seen a FT TC4 you're looking at Associated's version of the BMI conversion only not quite done as nicely as Jason's piece. My first TC was one of Jason's cars and it is EXCELLENT. I've still got it and could probably not be convinced to sell it.

A similar TC3 conversion to double-deck carbon fibre was the Warpspeed in T1 and T2 specs (T2 has a shorter wheelbase by about a centimeter). I've got one of each. They were very nice but are a$$ backward compared to the Associated or BMI as they carry the motor on the left side of the chassis and the battery on the right. Also had to remove the upper plate to change the motor/pinion out.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #6542
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ919 View Post
Drivers heads seem like more of personal cosmetic liking over that of really trying to "spec" the class.
Simple BASIC moves for Vintage TA like enforcing the No Timing Boost rule to keep the V-TA cars around the same speed should be good enough. Same Motors, Same Batteries, Hell, if you still feel a need for a hint of anal atmosphere, types of chassis should come into play. A V-TA body on an XRay or Cyclone, vs a V-TA body on a Sprint 2? C'mon, do the math, and please don't bring in any individual "My Sprint 2 beats Xrays" success stories, I'm talking on a full scale here...The fast guys are always -going -to -be the fast guys, that's in all racing, so none of this will hurt them. Just run everything the same with the V-TA body options... I always get this look when asking why can't everything go full spec for "SPEC" classes?...Just my 2 pennies and personal opinon on it all. RCGT will always be on the move due to the fact that it grabs the attention of the tour car racers. It's more open to their preference. RCGT will have a nice mix of the two types of racers (casual and competitive) ...Vintage TA can do the same.
Well said. VTA at my local track isnt that big. If we get 5-6 cars total, that's a big class. They aren't so anal about some of the USVTA rules either, no one checks to see if you're running dynamic timing, your FDR, and no driver figure required (IMO, that's a silly rule anyway, it adds nothing to the racing or keeping the field level). Also, I'm not sure ppl around here even know that RCGT class even exists. Hard enough to get a 'real' rubber tire TC class together, let alone something out of the norm. So there's no options for the few really fast VTA drivers to move up to. The field of 6 VTA cars is usually spread out over 7-8 laps for the mains. Some of the drivers are just slow and wreck alot. No way to level that kind of playing field, no matter what rules are developed.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #6543
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Well said. VTA at my local track isnt that big. If we get 5-6 cars total, that's a big class. >>>>>They aren't so anal about some of the USVTA rules either, no one checks to see if you're running dynamic timing, your FDR,<<<<< and no driver figure required (IMO, that's a silly rule anyway, it adds nothing to the racing or keeping the field level).
It may be a silly rule, but since nobody checks anything else, it works out fine if you don't want to run the driver.

Also, there is no rule on dynamic timing. It's just a suggestion if you feel that things are getting out of hand at your track, you have something to try.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 10-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #6544
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

We have a name for "classes" where nothing is checked...we call it "open practice". The "fast guys" keep getting faster and faster as they figure out where they can fudge and the "slow guys" keep wondering why they're getting beat and give up. Actually they don't wonder, when they get blown past on the straight they KNOW (in their own minds) and figure it's a horsepower war, so they start looking for more power which does nothing but exagerate their shortcomings in the driving skills department. Ad infinitum.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 10-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #6545
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Not that I would choose it over other newer options like a T2 09 or a Photon. But I would like to see more about this BMI TC3 I never knew Jason did an upgrade for those.
it was one of Jason's first (if not THE first one) ones he did

probably the think that started his career
Old 10-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #6546
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats a neat thing for me to discover. I was completely off the onroad racing scene when the TC3 was introduced. I always thought of the TC3 as the first touring car, but I have since heard that Tamiya gets credit for that.

Anyway in my head I always had Jason down as an ace of 1/10 pan and for really nice 1/12 scale cars. Kind of like a Calandra.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #6547
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
It may be a silly rule, but since nobody checks anything else, it works out fine if you don't want to run the driver.

Also, there is no rule on dynamic timing. It's just a suggestion if you feel that things are getting out of hand at your track, you have something to try.
Well, its not a USVTA rule, but it is at the Indoor Champs. I'm personally not using it anyway, the track is a bit small, and the car is too fast already, in the infield.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Old 10-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #6548
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thats a neat thing for me to discover. I was completely off the onroad racing scene when the TC3 was introduced. I always thought of the TC3 as the first touring car, but I have since heard that Tamiya gets credit for that.

Anyway in my head I always had Jason down as an ace of 1/10 pan and for really nice 1/12 scale cars. Kind of like a Calandra.
here you go...ive had 2 of them
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-mvc-014s.jpg  
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 10-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #6549
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

At our track we usually have at least 10 VTA cars my PC-3 being 3rd fastest and probably the slowest of ALL with the orginal LRP NEO 1 B/L no lipo spd cntrl w/added lipo cutoff, The fastest is also a PC-3 [Penguin TC-3] but w/LRP SXX, you definately can tell the diff in the back stretch, the 2nd fastest is a xray t-2 w/XBR, I'll get some pics up tomorrow nite after the races, we also do not require the drivers head but mine WILL have one next race day I assure you

Speedy
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
Old 10-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #6550
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
yep, the Tamiya Skyline TA02 was the 'first' competitve touring car - followed by the TA03, then HPI came along and release the first RS4 (yokomo had something out around the same time)...the TC3 wasn't the first, but it had a huge impact when it finally came out
Old 10-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #6551
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My car came in the mail this week and I barely got it ready to race this saturday morning. After not doing much onroad racing in the last 20 years I must say I had alot of fun. Even after a rear arm broke in the 3rd qualy and the belt stripped on my xxx-s in the main. Going to have to go through the whole thing after getting it used but I am diggin this class so far !
Old 10-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #6552
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenman73 View Post
My car came in the mail this week and I barely got it ready to race this saturday morning. After not doing much onroad racing in the last 20 years I must say I had alot of fun. Even after a rear arm broke in the 3rd qualy and the belt stripped on my xxx-s in the main. Going to have to go through the whole thing after getting it used but I am diggin this class so far !
its a fun new class that people just enjoy to do
Old 10-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #6553
Tech Champion

Default THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

Hope everyone had a wonderful racing weekend running TA...just like to remind everyone that....

THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES PRESENTS...ROUND 1
SUNDAY OCT [email protected] THUNDER RC RACEWAY

HALLOWEEN CASH FOR DASH

Race Specification:
- 5 minute qualifiers(3 each)
- 8 minute mains(3 each)
- Mains to be added up to determine winner
- Classes will include TA and Jr TA
- Sportsman and rookie classes if enough show(5 or more)
- for each paid entry, $5 will go into the pot per class (example 20 entries=$100)
- 50% for 1st
- 35% for 2nd
- 15% for 3rd
- RULES for the event
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html
or
http://coolspringsracing.com/Rules.html

Touring Car and 12th Scale are welcome to run on this day as well....

SPONSORED BY KRC
Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #6554
Tech Champion

thanks Collin and HPI again...

http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2009090301/
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #6555
Tech Champion

I thought I lost you..whew!

also dont forget the Round 1 of the Thunder Trans-am Series ...Halloween Cash 4 Dash is this Sunday as well...looking forward to the race...and Im told of some outta towners coming as well...

remember its $5 out of my pocket for every paid entry in TA...that money will go into a pot and paid out 1st-3rd...this keeps the entry fee low and money going into the track to keep the doors open....

cya Sunday
Closed Thread