Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I also have been thinking about this for a while, and I'm going to add it to the rules-"All cars must have a driver figure consisting of at least the head and shoulders".

I want to keep promoting the scale looks of the cars, and I want to keep the excitement factor up there, as it has been in the past. Guys like Rick Vessel, who added sound and a Firebird nose to his car, or Chip from Al's hobbies who built a convertible for last years nats are examples of realism and race readiness.
Dont get me wrong. This is a great direction and something that should be encouraged. I just dont know about it being a hardcore rule, yet. Maybe with some type of period of tolerance for noobs. Say by your fourth or maybe sixth week racing, you should have your driver figure ready.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redmike76
I would definitely recommend this guy. He was responsive, we went back and forth on the order to make sure it was okay and he sent me 1/2 extra sheet because he wasn't happy with some of the small sponsor decals. For what I paid I was fine with them. Not sure if you can tell from my avitar, but the car turned out great. He made me several number 43s in different sizes, STP stickers, and several other sponsor stickers.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Default Music City Championship 2009

hey Snoop...you ready for Sunday...got a couple of pm's this morning..looking better everyday....

are you going to do some video as well?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's really not hard to put a driver in there. I made a piece of lexan that attached to the top deck, and stuck the driver to it. You could take the body on and off, or change bodies. I ran the car like this most of last winter until I got lazy after rebuilding my car. Kevin Kane ran a full interior for most of last winter...

I'm putting it in the rules, since 1/2 the people ignore the appearance rules anyway.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've got an old HPI Pro 3 laying around that I ran as a 4-cell/27t VTA car. I'd love to run it as a Lipo VTA car, but I don't know of any 2-cell lipo that will fit in this car. Anyone know of a ROAR legal lipo that will fit in a HPI Pro 3?

Was the reason 6-cell NIHM/Brushless wasn't an option due to extra weight being an advantage?

Maybe I'll set the HPI Pro 3 up for RCGT as I think they have a 6-cell option.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I'm putting it in the rules, since 1/2 the people ignore the appearance rules anyway.
So what happens when 90% of the people don't run an interior/driver? DQ? Refund of the race fee? I REALLY don't think it's a good idea to make it a rule. If the bodies would come with interior sets it would be diffrent, but I know alot of people that will shy away from the class because it's just one more thing to spend money on (I know they're cheap...but by time you add paint, mask, etc...you can easily spend $30). It is what it is. If you want driver figures, they'll have to run driver figures.

Will this be enforced at the Hurricane race on Oct. 3rd ?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

go on and add to the rules that the lettering of the tires must be painted since it was in the original series.

also, you must disable front wheel drive since the original cars were rear wheel drive only.

you have to cut the side windows out of the car and add a handmade net over it.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

This is not worth getting upset over. Im sure there will be some tolerance for everyone to have time to get prepared.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
This is not worth getting upset over. Im sure there will be some tolerance for everyone to have time to get prepared.
+1
Two of the clubs I run VTA with have extremely high exposure tracks where the general public HAS to see the races, and both of these clubs would benefit from the realism a driver figure provides because newbies dig realism (and speed, unnatural amounts of speed). I figure the general public isn't going to care about the inexpensive cost of a driver figure since it's a small drop in the bucket to get into r/c. Established VTA racers at tracks like these should consider increasing their car's realism to help bring the newbies into the class, because after all, without newbies the entire hobby will remain low-key.

However, some tracks modify the national rule set to fit their local needs. Cool! Whatever needs to be done to keep the class alive and warrant having bigger regional and national VTA races is, in fact, for the good of the class. The other track I race VTA at is in the middle of nowhere, and realism isn't as important there.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X79
John.....nope....we can encourage it but you wont be turned away because of it...just like the rule to paint the cars like real cars....if someone wants a flame job or what ever so be it for the Hurricane series.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X79
So what happens when 90% of the people don't run an interior/driver? DQ? Refund of the race fee? I REALLY don't think it's a good idea to make it a rule. If the bodies would come with interior sets it would be diffrent, but I know alot of people that will shy away from the class because it's just one more thing to spend money on (I know they're cheap...but by time you add paint, mask, etc...you can easily spend $30). It is what it is. If you want driver figures, they'll have to run driver figures.

I don't run any tracks. You'd have to ask Scotty about getting Dq'd.

In the end it's up to your race director to enforce or not enforce these rules. I see a lot of cars without 1 number let alone 4, or Corvettes, or neon orange paint jobs. I also have yet to see anyone turned away from a race.

I realize a lot of people will ignore this rule, but I also don't want this to go the route of every other class where speed is king and everything else is subjugated to that. Have you ever seen the old 1/12 cars that all had separate drivers sitting in the TOJ bodies? All of that cool stuff goes away over time if you let it.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, the driver figure issue is two fold....For those who love VTA and race them on a club level, it really won't be a big deal to race with them or not.

Those of us who use VTA to promote R/C to the masses, driver figures help with getting new people interested in the hobby, just from a visual point of view.

I think we can all agree that the figures look way cooler to the spectators watching.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, you only need one driver figure. They will last forever, and you can just move them from body to body, or just mount them to the chassis, and just change bodies.

I don't think the intention is to mandate "full" interiors, just the head and shoulders....

If anyone has any part numbers, or links to driver figures, please post....
Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well this is just my opion! I am new to this class just getting started in this, along with the realistic of the class, I was drawn to it for the ease and inexpessive the class is set up for. I personally dont want to run a Driver or interior in the car, that is just another step i have to do in getting a car ready to race which more then likely i dont have time for or want to mess with it. so if it is going to be put in the rules i think it should be as a option. This way if i travel to one of the races that willl be inforcing these rules i dont have to run out and buy what ever it is to be with in the rule.

Dont get me wrong the cars look cool with driver but i know there are plenty of people out there like me that like running them with out. If u want new people more intrested in this class get some extra cars, put a remote in that persons hands and let the drive and race with u guys, that get a person more excited about the class then just watching them go around a track. Thats what got me into this class and i run 1/8 nitro offroad,
Here in the nashville area we have a person that will lone sevral VTA cars out to newbies to race for the first time to get them intrested in the class and it works very well!

Oh also that in my opinion should be a concoures contest with the driver/interior not race rules

just my .02 i know its not even worth that!

Last edited by Brandon Black; 09-23-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I raced all last winter and the nationals with a full driver interior and it didn’t hurt performance once. But the amount of people that geeked out when they saw it was huge. Many times new people came to the track and saw the car racing they were like wow there is little people in there. It does add something to the realism of the class. Really once you get a driver or interior it will last for as long as you run the class and its relatively cheap to do and it adds so much more to an already fun class. The cost shouldn’t be a factor it’s really a drop in the bucket IMO.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Default Music City Championship 2009

I see how this can help..but I also see how it should be a "option"...what I like is being rewarded for such items in concourse....drivers, painted rims, raised letters on tires ect.....we are the most realistic class in all of R/C (incl RCGT)...we need to keep that going, but I think that if we make it a rule it will hurt more than help...

Ive run a driver since day 1...and I now have 3 of them and they are very cool...but I dont always run them...

for the MCC 09' I will be running them all day long...YEAH BABY! CANT WAIT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.