Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #6061
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGaryK View Post
Haven't posted in the thread for awhile but just curious if/when we could expect some rules updates. Thinking mostly if there will be more motors approved for this upcoming '09/10 season.
No rules changes yet. Nationally its still Novak 21.5 (Ballistic or SS)
Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #6062
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Anyone else wish VTA and RCGT could all run together? it'd be great to see the new vs old.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #6063
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
Anyone else wish VTA and RCGT could all run together? it'd be great to see the new vs old.
I've always wanted to run mixed classes like LeMans, but I was thinking RCGT vs. WGT/LMP or VTA V8s vs. VTA 2Ls.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #6064
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that any of the VTA bodies would be perfectly legal in RCGT if you wanted to go that route. However, it seems like the bigger VTA shells would be at a disadvantage against the more traditional RCGT bodies, which seem to be more aerodynamic and have better wings/spoilers included for downforce.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #6065
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike76 View Post
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that any of the VTA bodies would be perfectly legal in RCGT if you wanted to go that route. However, it seems like the bigger VTA shells would be at a disadvantage against the more traditional RCGT bodies, which seem to be more aerodynamic and have better wings/spoilers included for downforce.
Without testing, I could only speculate, but I would propose some type of power hit for an rcgt car, say 21.5 in rcgt with 17.5 in vta. I know this wouldn't be the best solution since the classes are reversed in that rule, but it would fit the "big power low traction muscle car vs small engine agile import" as is in real life
Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #6066
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have seen someone on here say that a club in Florida runs RCGT with VTA powerplant rules. If you did that you could just throw a VTA legal car in there and run it without any problems.

RCGT has the wing and all but the VTA cars have a bigger contact patch, wider tires. Plus if you slow them all down the wing doesnt help that much.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #6067
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike76 View Post
However, it seems like the bigger VTA shells would be at a disadvantage against the more traditional RCGT bodies, which seem to be more aerodynamic and have better wings/spoilers included for downforce.
I guess they wouldn't really be competing against the other class, just racing together. I don't know how that would work, exactly, but I agree that they really couldn't compete fairly.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #6068
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I guess they wouldn't really be competing against the other class, just racing together. I don't know how that would work, exactly, but I agree that they really couldn't compete fairly.
I dont think it would be worse than running a 21.5 lipo car against a 4/27t. If you made RCGT run no wings and the same powerplant you could score it as one class.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #6069
Tech Champion

hey Snoop thats the plan for the Cannonball Run race next...a true Lemans type race..that will incl. 2-3 classes on the track at once..maxed out at 12 teams...Im loving the idea of my lambo and 65 mustang on the track at once..should be nice....

as far as the WINGS go on the back of T.O.P. team in the enduro...I posted about it and when Dirla saw them in person, he decided they were ok...I dont think they gave much,if any advantage..and if the wing did ...to late now..lol..but they ran a really good race and Q is a great driver and coach.. and I opened the floor to any complaints from anybody and got none...

but I will say the wing WILL NOT BE ALLOLLED AT.....

THE MUSIC CITY CHAMPIONSHIP ON SEPTEMBER 27TH....
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #6070
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
hey Snoop thats the plan for the Cannonball Run race next...a true Lemans type race..that will incl. 2-3 classes on the track at once..maxed out at 12 teams...Im loving the idea of my lambo and 65 mustang on the track at once..should be nice....

as far as the WINGS go on the back of T.O.P. team in the enduro...I posted about it and when Dirla saw them in person, he decided they were ok...I dont think they gave much,if any advantage..and if the wing did ...to late now..lol..but they ran a really good race and Q is a great driver and coach.. and I opened the floor to any complaints from anybody and got none...

but I will say the wing WILL NOT BE ALLOLLED AT.....

THE MUSIC CITY CHAMPIONSHIP ON SEPTEMBER 27TH....

Fair enough. I personally dont like the idea of allowing the wings. Had it been voted on I would have voted against it. I do feel they have an impact on the car which is why I stuck it on there just after finding out that there may be others with wings. (such as Camaro's)
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #6071
Tech Champion

Novak is coming out with 25.5 windings. Check the Ballistic goes spec thread and see the lastest comments. We may get what we are asking for, more side by side racing.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #6072
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
when Dirla saw them in person
Isn't Dirla the one who insists on neon paint on VTA bodies?

HE'S the guy I'd listen to as "arbiter of things vintage"

NO WINGS IN VTA!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #6073
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Isn't Dirla the one who insists on neon paint on VTA bodies?

HE'S the guy I'd listen to as "arbiter of things vintage"

NO WINGS IN VTA!!!
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #6074
Tech Champion

Where's that video of Scoobie's hot pink Camaro?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #6075
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

www.bearrc.com

We're the track in Florida runnning RCGT with the VTA powerplant rules.

We also conducted an interesting experiment this past weekend. We ran RCGT bodies and tires with the following powerplants-- 17.5/lipo against 21.5/lipo against 27turn/6-cell against 27turn/lipo.

Results---
Due to our track being incredibly tight and technical, it all comes down to setup. The fastest car on the track was the 21.5 because Evoracer nailed the setup. The 17.5 and 27 turn cars were almost identical in speed but our setups weren't any where as good as the 21.5 so we were dropping off the pace in the turns. The 27turn/6-cell lost power at the end of 5 minutes but the 27turn/lipo could hang the entire run. What we determined is that our club is perfect for a run what ya brung atmosphere until you can get the stuff you really want or need to comply with the rules. This is good for people getting back into the hobby or newcomers.

Long story short, if you want to even the playing field a bit, look at your track setup and see if you can tighten it up a bit and force people to drive instead of hitting the throttle and holding on.
Closed Thread