Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #6016
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one false start and 500 laps later

results from the Cashville 24hour VTA race

http://results.rc50.com/Thunder_RC_N...le/08-29-2009/
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #6017
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
How much of a problem is getting the weight on the cars for you guys? A lot of people complain when they have to put a lot of lead on their car.
You may or may not recall that in our club's first season of VTA racing we instituted a "success ballast" program where the top three drivers in a given race were assigned a weight penalty equivalent to (iir) a battery cell (as the first two "penalties" would, thus, be easy to install in any TC chassis).

What we found was that up to UNBELIEVEABLE amounts of weight (I believe JP was up to over a pound of additional weight!!) the cars kept going faster and faster. The additional downforce on the tires increased traction and raised the corner speeds enough that it offset the decreased acceleration. PLUS the cars that were substantially heavier became tanks. If they brushed against someone in a turn (or someone brushed against them) the lighter car just carromed off the track while the ballasted car stayed planted.

We gave the program up 2/3 of the way through our racing year. Great idea, just didn't work as intended.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #6018
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post

That is single handedly the most awesome thing I have seen in a long time! For an enduro, it looks like it was surprisingly close.

If it was even half as cool as it is in my head, you guys must have had a blast!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #6019
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Enduro race! was by far the best time i had in 1 single day of rc racing! alot of laughing and cutting up with everyone! having the tech, pit lane, turn marhsal, and driver rules was well thought about and placed.

Man cant wait for the next one! we need to do this again very soon!
this race gives alot of drive time to everyone that is racing!

Well done to Battman and Thunder for this race!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #6020
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I want the thank all involved in the Cashville 500 Trans Am Enduro. It was lots of fun and very exciting. First and second were never more than 5 laps apart and finishing 1 lap apart after 500 is just cool as heck.

I was impressed at how level headed and sportsman like most everyone was, especially considering the $500 prize money. I personally got a little wound up a couple times, oops.

Hats off to T.O.P. and Josh Cyrul for giving us such a great car to work with. 500 laps and not one part failed to make the finish!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #6021
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit

Quote:

We had similar run about 3 mos ago locally. We did 2 hrs and 24 min, one car 3 drivers

Pos. Car Driver's Name Total Laps Total Time Fastest Lap On Lap Avg. Lap Time Status
1 4 Team Express 690 02:24:13.972 00:11.285 138 12.541 Done!
2 1 Team Rad Racing Concepts 667 02:24:05.750 00:11.401 468 12.962 Done!
3 2 Team Darryl 660 02:24:04.145 00:11.384 527 13.097 Done!
4 3 Team Abide 619 02:24:10.088 00:11.972 293 13.974 Done!

The team that won did 690 laps, I think it was about 25 miles total
Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #6022
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yep was a fun race. Came down to the very end.
After the 25 miles my bearings were not happy.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #6023
Tech Addict

Quote:

Definitely one of the best, most fun, most excited races I've been to! Wether you were driving, pitting or marshalling... you didn't stop for 3hours/500 laps. If we hadn't have had the mechincal issues it would have been a closer battle for 1st but still super close for suck a long race. The normal race format will seem so boring now! If you guys get a chance to race or put one of these enduros on...Do it!

Battman and Dirla did a great job thinkin it all out/planning! thanks to mark for the 3 hours of announcing & jrs/henslo for the techn...and all the rest. Great job.

I have some pics but need to resize them some...stay tuned.
Here's one pic not too big to post: concourse
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #6024
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I enjoyed meeting everybody at the Thunder RC Nashville Enduro 500. I have never met you guys from Memphis or a lot of you from the Nashville local area. If you had a chance to check out the thicker HPI Cuda shell, be sure to let Andyh know what you think about it.

Battman it was great to meet you in person.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtadsc_0003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtadsc_0008.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtadsc_0011.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtadsc_0014.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtadsc_0018.jpg  

Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #6025
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I enjoyed meeting everybody at the Thunder RC Nashville Enduro 500. I have never met you guys from Memphis or a lot of you from the Nashville local area. If you had a chance to check out the thicker HPI Cuda shell, be sure to let Andyh know what you think about it.

Battman it was great to meet you in person.
ah, were you the 'only' GA guy that showed up that I meet? who ever that was, thanks for helping with the show!

Donald
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #6026
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

just wanna clear one thing up. We are not from memphis. Jason Lutz was the only Memphis guy there and he was not in the race.

Team T.O.P. was clif dodd and Justin Lyons from jackson TN, and Quinton Robbins from Jonesboro AR. wee looked pretty rough after all that racing or maybe i'm just that fugly

OH it was an awsome exerience. Everything was well planned and executed. The only thing it lacked was Hot chicks taking around water to all the marshels. Yea Thunder really dropped the ball on that one. Guess that gives us something to look forward to for next year. It was a very close race all the way through. In our planning meeting the night before we had mentioned that there was going to be some close races, but WOW that was really close. everyone did a great job from the host venue to all the racers that put down. You really had to be there to see how smooth everything really went. Tech was awsome. The process was really smooth and well executed. The man on the mic was great also. I bet he didn't say a word the next day.

THANK YOU BATMAN AND NASH AND EVERYONE WHO DID THIS RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team T.O.P. can not wait to come back next year to defend out three CROWNS!!!! wink wink

Part of the tripod
Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #6027
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

OK, I put my Team Magic E4JS back together. Its an odd bird, but it was my first VTA chassis last year and I thought I'd give it some love now that my driving has improved dramatically. I've figured out some issues and got it rolling properly again after replacing some bound bearings. Its sporting a GTB and SS21.5. I'm having some serious issues with trying to get any speed out it though, its really laggy and lazy on acceleration. So, I'm looking for some help. Its currently geared at 4.71 (94/41), but doesn't seem like its done accelerating at the end of the straight and generally lacks punch. I'm thinking of advancing the timing a little and gearing it at around 5.0. (110/42, internal 2.056). This is a fresh GTB and SS21.5 that I pulled from my WGT pan car. Any thoughts (other than park it)?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #6028
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
OK, I put my Team Magic E4JS back together. Its an odd bird, but it was my first VTA chassis last year and I thought I'd give it some love now that my driving has improved dramatically. I've figured out some issues and got it rolling properly again after replacing some bound bearings. Its sporting a GTB and SS21.5. I'm having some serious issues with trying to get any speed out it though, its really laggy and lazy on acceleration. So, I'm looking for some help. Its currently geared at 4.71 (94/41), but doesn't seem like its done accelerating at the end of the straight and generally lacks punch. I'm thinking of advancing the timing a little and gearing it at around 5.0. (110/42, internal 2.056). This is a fresh GTB and SS21.5 that I pulled from my WGT pan car. Any thoughts (other than park it)?
I experimented w/ my gtb... Kinda depends on what you need but I wanted more punch/acceration. I had the motor timing up/maxxed but for better punch have put it back to 0* and up the Min. Drive % setting at 5 or what ever is the highest/max setting. you definitely want to top out the gear before the end of the straight, maybe 3/4ths of the straight if the rest of the infield is tight. I'd start w/ 0* on timing, max out the min drive setting then work on finding the optimal gearing. More timing will get you more rpms but could cost you some low end rip. the min. drive will help some, it's noticable but nothing major. hope that helps you.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #6029
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
I experimented w/ my gtb... Kinda depends on what you need but I wanted more punch/acceration. I had the motor timing up/maxxed but for better punch have put it back to 0* and up the Min. Drive % setting at 5 or what ever is the highest/max setting. you definitely want to top out the gear before the end of the straight, maybe 3/4ths of the straight if the rest of the infield is tight. I'd start w/ 0* on timing, max out the min drive setting then work on finding the optimal gearing. More timing will get you more rpms but could cost you some low end rip. the min. drive will help some, it's noticable but nothing major. hope that helps you.

Thanks, That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. I'll take the gearing lighter and try those settings. I might have to order some spurs in the 102 to 104 range if I can't get it to max out with a 100 in place.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #6030
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Something I found while testing out the 1s / 13.5 combo (using a GTB) was that when I geared for best lap time and monitored the temps that my best lap times came at a gear ratio that had significantly compromised the "punch". The higher top speed offset the loss in punch down to about 4.0 or so (at 3.5 it was slower and temp jumped up quickly) BUT to get the times I had to make my lines much more sweeping. Not only was I driving further but if I had been in the cut-and-thrust of a race I'd have been leaving the inside WAY open and been passed (at best) and/or drilled in the door at the apex (at worst, but very likely). I'm certain this holds true with the "standard" 2s / 21.5 combo as well. That's where the compromise comes in...how much ultimate lap time am I willing to give up to be able to drive a tighter line and protect the inside in actual race conditions.
Closed Thread