R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #46
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
I will let you guys know what I think, I also have a 17.5, but I think that is too slow, plus a lot of people have the 13.5 already, so if you just couple it with 4 cell, it gives the guys who are killing thier cars in 1/12th scale something to jump into for minimal money.

The intent of this class is not speed. It's close, fun racing that everyone can identify with. There are plenty of other classes to "get speed" in, which most of us run anyway.

Frankly, the slower the better in this class.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So we here at MCRC use the weight minium and penalties to keep the TC3s, JRXSs and 007s equal.

So you guys at Trackside have close racing between old and new chassis with drivers that are equal with no weight restrictions?

The weight difference between the TC3 and 007 is not something to forget.

I watched the video and a couple of guys pulled away from the rest and only came back when mistakes happened.

I run a very good handling TC3 and as we add weight it seems that the cars are actually sticking to the track better. JP ( 007 ) is the heaviest, but he is coming back to the pack. The 1/6 race could have been the best for the lead so far, but racing luck happens.
CRC WTF-1
Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to trx1

what about these, there GREAT cars!!
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-pic013.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-pic014.jpg  
Old 01-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

associated needs to come out with a new version of that. My brother had the team kit brand new, and it was a blast.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:26 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx1 View Post
what about these, there GREAT cars!!
While neat RC10s, they are not legal for Trans Am racing. It's a 4wd touring car class.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Apex,
We've run a CS-27, 10.5/19T, GT bodied class at Summit in Fort Wayne for a few years now. We experimented with some HPI Advans in the early days, but they wore out in like 3 runs. So, what sort of wear are you getting from those HPI tires? I realize you're not going be as hard on them with 4 cell stock, but I'm curious about how long they last. thx

-Sean
Old 01-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is a great idea, with the Tc class all but dead on our small indoor track surface this could revitalize the class. There are some who went brushless that may want the 17.5 option put in. 4-cell will keep the speeds down, and the bodies will definately get the painters active.

Nice work guys !!!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Apex,
We've run a CS-27, 10.5/19T, GT bodied class at Summit in Fort Wayne for a few years now. We experimented with some HPI Advans in the early days, but they wore out in like 3 runs. So, what sort of wear are you getting from those HPI tires? I realize you're not going be as hard on them with 4 cell stock, but I'm curious about how long they last. thx

-Sean
Honestly, I haven't heard of anyone needing to buy another set of the D-compound treaded HPI tires... other than putting together a second car. Zero wear on carpet so far. Hmmmm... remove power, remove traction, and the fun and competition increases—what a concept! It really works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O'Brien View Post
This is a great idea, with the Tc class all but dead on our small indoor track surface this could revitalize the class. There are some who went brushless that may want the 17.5 option put in. 4-cell will keep the speeds down, and the bodies will definately get the painters active.

Nice work guys !!!
Trust me when I say that most of us that have our hands on this want brushless. It's just a matter of making the right choice for the class structure. Patience is a virtue.

doug
Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The whole basis for this class is to bring back the fun to R/C racing.

Cool looking cars, close door to door racing and bring the old hardware out of hybernation. Most of the T-A racers at Trackside are either new to racing, returning racers, or run T-A as a second, no stress, fun class where you can actually watch the suspension working and run door to door rubbing without causing an expensive wreck.

I understand everyone wants to go faster. Anyone who has been around any form of R/C for more than a decade has seen how higher speed only leads to smaller fields. There are many reasons for this I won't discuss here, but suffice to say, SPEED KILLS R/C class size.

Doug and I have discussed the future at length. The common consenses is faster cars will be fun for a short bit, but will only make this like all other current sedan classes. We need to differentiate this class from the typical 6 cell stock (27turn/ 13,5B/L) format.

The NO maintence and same performance of Brushless is extreamely atractive, but the $200 plus for a B/L system does not seem to fit the format well today. We are trying to bring in new racers, not just convert current racers to this as their focus NEW CLASS.

Please visit the Trackside Presents Trans-AM forum in the Wisconsin section http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=188641 to see just how we managed to revive the fun factor.

Marty
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #55
Tech Master

we have seen extremely close performance from bushed 27 turn or brushless 17.5, so why not allow either, until the guys get tired of turning comms and decide to buy brushless.

It almost doesn't make sense to go out and buy brushed stuff anymore, that is like buying a new TV an not getting HD
Old 01-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've done some testing at Trackside over the last week with a 17.5 BL/6 cell vs. 27t/4 cell and had nearly idenical lap times. If any thing the 17.5 brushless was a tick slower, I belive mainly because of the lower power to weight ratio. Also, using 6 cell packs with a "sport" 17.5 system(the XBR w/17.5 motor is around $170 at Trackside) would keep the cost down for a newcomer ($25 Venom stick vs. $50 unassembled 4 cell) if they had to have a brushless. I really don't think there's a need to debate, both could run together right now. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Odd we run 17.5 and 27 brushed 4-cell together in oval with identical results.

I say stay with the 4-cell battery rule. It gets to convoluted if you start down the path of different number of cells, for different motors.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #58
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X79 View Post
I've done some testing at Trackside over the last week with a 17.5 BL/6 cell vs. 27t/4 cell and had nearly idenical lap times. If any thing the 17.5 brushless was a tick slower, I belive mainly because of the lower power to weight ratio. Also, using 6 cell packs with a "sport" 17.5 system(the XBR w/17.5 motor is around $170 at Trackside) would keep the cost down for a newcomer ($25 Venom stick vs. $50 unassembled 4 cell) if they had to have a brushless. I really don't think there's a need to debate, both could run together right now. Just my 2 cents.
you are way out of the ball park on your gearing. 17.5 is as fast as 27turn stock. We have tested it thoroughly by multiple drivers here in cincinnati in touring and pan cars. You need a really tall rollout about 2.15-2.25 inches per rotation of the motor. Then you will feel the 17.5 come to life. these brushless motors have a very small window where they are the most powerful. It is all about torque with them.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O'Brien View Post
Odd we run 17.5 and 27 brushed 4-cell together in oval with identical results.

I say stay with the 4-cell battery rule. It gets to convoluted if you start down the path of different number of cells, for different motors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
you are way out of the ball park on your gearing. 17.5 is as fast as 27turn stock. We have tested it thoroughly by multiple drivers here in cincinnati in touring and pan cars. You need a really tall rollout about 2.15-2.25 inches per rotation of the motor. Then you will feel the 17.5 come to life. these brushless motors have a very small window where they are the most powerful. It is all about torque with them.
Your absoultly right, but I think your talking about oval, which is a completely different animal. You can gear the snot out of it because you don't have to worry about low end pull out of cornerers. We geared it to the point of thermal shut down within 4 minutes(190 deg. +) and the lap times got slower anyway because it was a slug on the infield. Don't forget, you've gotta make it last for 8 minutes in the main--with the current motors and speedo's if your geared on the edge your not going to make it. That is what makes the class so fun, it dosen't take the fastest all out car, it takes good driving and chassis set up--and you actually have to have a game plan for the 8 minute main. All I know is from what I've actually driven and then watched at the Novak race(sportsman ran 17.5 motors), I think the 17.5/6 cell can work(for road course anyway).
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

I hate to say it but the guys who think brushed motors should stay in this class are going to be the odd guys out when its all done, cause there is way more intrest in running trans am with brushless motors in them. Especially after today when about 4 to 6 guys will be trying all different motor and cell combinations to figure out which brushless and cell count will be equal or even dare i say a touch slower.

You guys up there are always about teaching the guys to learn about chassis setup and not motor setup. This is the ultimate in that thought process. You will never have to take out the motor..... EVER.
Closed Thread