Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
  #5791  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
xevias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, PRC
Posts: 386
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I applaud your effort to reccommend something new, but I dont think you are going to get clubs to go for it. Plus Im not sure all of the shaft drive cars can be converted. I think its more difficult to implement than you think.
Popping out the dogbones from the CVD joint would probably be a better description. That would take care of shaft and belt drive cars.

I also doubt anyone would go for it. Just seems like an elegant solution instead of spending loads of time testing multiple equiptment combos and rule changes to accomplish the goal of slowing the cars down.

Still wondering if anyone has tried it and how it affected lap times...
xevias is offline  
Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 PM
  #5792  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
hound_dogs_01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,091
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

ok guys just som I'm clear on gearing i run the 2cell/21.5 novak combo...

it says i have to gear my car between 4.2 and 4.6...

4.2 is more top end and 4.6 is more bottom end correct?

Alex
hound_dogs_01 is offline  
Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 PM
  #5793  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 8,202
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
ok guys just som I'm clear on gearing i run the 2cell/21.5 novak combo...

it says i have to gear my car between 4.2 and 4.6...

4.2 is more top end and 4.6 is more bottom end correct?

Alex
4.2 is the lower limit (larger size pinion). You can run any ratio that is *numerically* higher than 4.2.

4.2 would have more top speed in your example.
robk is offline  
Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 PM
  #5794  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
hound_dogs_01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,091
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Correct... The lower the numerical number the more top end you'll have and the higher the numerical number the more bottom end you'll have....

thans robk

Alex
hound_dogs_01 is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 06:45 AM
  #5795  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xevias
I also doubt anyone would go for it. Just seems like an elegant solution instead of spending loads of time testing multiple equiptment combos and rule changes to accomplish the goal of slowing the cars down.
I understand and I have wondered myself how a field of 2WD cars would look running the VTA style gear.

The problem with all of the powertrain combos is that we wanted to implement the technology that is more convenient and reliable without forcing everyone to go out and buy new gear. If nimh and brushed motors were still the pinnacle of technology, then we wouldnt be worried about all of the differrent powertrains being compatible. Frankly Im glad I can step up with just the purchase of a 21.5, even though Im running 4/27 in my VTA setup.
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 AM
  #5796  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I understand and I have wondered myself how a field of 2WD cars would look running the VTA style gear.

The problem with all of the powertrain combos is that we wanted to implement the technology that is more convenient and reliable without forcing everyone to go out and buy new gear. If nimh and brushed motors were still the pinnacle of technology, then we wouldnt be worried about all of the differrent powertrains being compatible. Frankly Im glad I can step up with just the purchase of a 21.5, even though Im running 4/27 in my VTA setup.
World GT 200mm pan cars with Vintage bodies would look pretty sweet. We'd need rims to mount the current tires to or switch to spec foams like WGT. It would probably be fast enough with a 17.5 1S setup. But again, it requires a new chassis.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 AM
  #5797  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
World GT 200mm pan cars with Vintage bodies would look pretty sweet. We'd need rims to mount the current tires to or switch to spec foams like WGT. It would probably be fast enough with a 17.5 1S setup. But again, it requires a new chassis.
HPI or someone like that could answer that for us. They could make Wheel/tire combos that would fit the WGT chassis and have the Vintage look. Its just that it cost so much to develop that and theres no guarantee of a return on the investment. MLP has adapters to run the VTA tires and wheels on the 200mm pan chassis.
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
  #5798  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
HPI or someone like that could answer that for us. They could make Wheel/tire combos that would fit the WGT chassis and have the Vintage look. Its just that it cost so much to develop that and theres no guarantee of a return on the investment. MLP has adapters to run the VTA tires and wheels on the 200mm pan chassis.
I should order a set from Marty just to play around. It wouldn't be a bad idea just to get some rear wheel drive rubber tire racing gear to play with just to see how it performs.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 AM
  #5799  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
pejota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I was looking on the MLP website for the pan car wheel adapters and couldn't find them... is the link broken, non-existant, etc? I'd like to try some vintage rubber on a pan car to see what happens...
pejota is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
  #5800  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

You may want to look into the axles that are used on the Tamiya F103GT. They are designed for touring car tires.
MD is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 AM
  #5801  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (261)
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,380
Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)
Default

I thought the way he'd gone at it was to make a pan car that mounted TC suspension components, that's how he got the HPI Vintage tires and wheels to mount up. I don't believe I've seen any sort of "adapter" for fitting the TC wheels to pan car hubs (rear) and axles (front).
Scottrik is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
  #5802  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (73)
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,755
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Most vintage races have enough chaos, they don't need to be rwd too!
MikeXray is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 PM
  #5803  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Sohlman113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 673
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I think someone asked this question already but I will ask it again. I want to know if the USVTA rules will allow the Novak Ballistic 21.5 along with the original 21.5. I am only asking because I am going to buy a 21.5 and I want to buy the ballistic.
Sohlman113 is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
  #5804  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 9,619
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Sohlman113
I think someone asked this question already but I will ask it again. I want to know if the USVTA rules will allow the Novak Ballistic 21.5 along with the original 21.5. I am only asking because I am going to buy a 21.5 and I want to buy the ballistic.
Welcome to VTA...you can use the Ballistic..n/p
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM
  #5805  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Sohlman113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 673
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thats great news. I will definitely be buying a Novak Ballistic 21.5 than.
Sohlman113 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.