Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 AM   #5761
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance8813 View Post
Do u guys allow the hpi corvette stingray body?
ask at your local track if its allowed..For any USVTA-sponsored events, its not legal...but your local track may allow it..

Last edited by k_bojar; 08-20-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #5762
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
ask at your local track if its allowed..For any USVTA-sponsored events, its not legal...but your local track may allow it..
+1....

but I will say that it has sold out at our track twice...I have 2...

also for the Enduro at least 3 teams are running it..cant wait to see 9 plus Vettes on the track....

I have never whined about bodies, cause the Mustangs work for me..but if I had to bid on one..its this Vette by HPI...its so noticable to anyone watching a race or just walking by...and that attracts new racers or intrest..my thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-darkside-racing-006.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-darkside-racing-016.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-darkside-racing-017.jpg  
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #5763
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
For anybody considering buying any battery over 30c....I ran my SMC 40c and 50c in my VTA car for 10 min...then ran my 28c packs for 10 min...with the weight the same between them...the 40 and 50c are a waste of money..I ran better lap time with my SMC 4000 28c battery than my "BIG BOY " packs.. my 2 year old Orion 3600 25c pack is still my best pack..it only lacks the "PUNCH" of the SMC 28c....

IMO the battery rule works fine the way it is...capping money wont work cause somebody can "claim" it was this or that or even free...lol

limit "C" ratings arent going to make a difference either cause the 21.5 isnt a big puller to even use the 50c...waste

and if you cant find a 5000 battery under $70 bucks...you are looking in the wrong place...my lhs sales the SMC 4100 24c for $69.99...and it awesome for VTA...tested it for a new guy about a week ago and loved it...

nice to see all the talk on the thread....good honest discussions are great for the class
I hate to dredge up yesterday's topic, but the opposite happened to be true for me. I was running an IP 4200 30C (saddle pack) in my new car for several weeks... Well, I found a new IP 5000 40C for $77 shipped (check ebay folks!) and ran that for the first time last night. Without batting an eye, I took .3 off my lap times and had to tighten my rear diff because it started slipping when I started using that battery.

Recharging confirmed my seat-of-the-pants feel and the time difference - the amount of mah being put back in after each heat increased by about 10% from 1025mah to 1130mah - that's on 5 min heats with 3 laps warmup.

The VTA Photon! (Inactive - back to the Kawada!)
http://vtaphoton.blogspot.com/
Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #5764
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtybird View Post
I hate to dredge up yesterday's topic, but the opposite happened to be true for me. I was running an IP 4200 30C (saddle pack) in my new car for several weeks... Well, I found a new IP 5000 40C for $77 shipped (check ebay folks!) and ran that for the first time last night. Without batting an eye, I took .3 off my lap times and had to tighten my rear diff because it started slipping when I started using that battery.

Recharging confirmed my seat-of-the-pants feel and the time difference - the amount of mah being put back in after each heat increased by about 10% from 1025mah to 1130mah - that's on 5 min heats with 3 laps warmup.
my results have been simlar to Darkside's... my lower C rated packs are faster w/ my 21.5/spx combo.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
Old 08-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #5765
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I really think that it comes down to personal driving style. Like I said earlier, I run aggressive throttle profiles on my car, and having a punchy battery helps that. If your throttle is smoother, be it the ESC or finger-control, a somewhat lower-rated battery may make the car easier for you to drive, and if the car is easy to drive for you, it will translate directly into faster lap times.

Just my theory
Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #5766
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I really think that it comes down to personal driving style. Like I said earlier, I run aggressive throttle profiles on my car, and having a punchy battery helps that. If your throttle is smoother, be it the ESC or finger-control, a somewhat lower-rated battery may make the car easier for you to drive, and if the car is easy to drive for you, it will translate directly into faster lap times.

Just my theory
MIDWEST SWING?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #5767
Tech Champion

Default Music City Championship 2009

here is some early info for those needing it....more to come next week...

Okay, here are the classes for the MCC '09"

1) Expert T/A (Pure USVTA Rules)

2) Sportsman T/A (Local TMPLR Rules)

3) Junior T/A (Local TMPLR Rules)

4) 17.5 Touring Car (BYO Jaco Blues)

Trophies in all divisions.

Best T/A paint job (Two Divisions: Junior and Adult)

Entry Fee = $20/adult and $10/junior (50% discount for 2nd class)

Note: drivers running in Expert T/A cannot enter the Sportsman class.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #5768
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd love to make it down DARKSIDE but that weekend is already booked for me
Old 08-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #5769
Tech Champion

Aug or Sept? if we are talking the Sept MCC 09'...I know Brian would like to take a shot at the title...again...

EXPERT Trans-Am

Finish Diver Laps Time Qualified Best Qualifier
1st Myron Kinnard 38 8:09 2 24/5:03
2nd Brian Smith 38 8:11 3 24/5:10
Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #5770
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
here is some early info for those needing it....more to come next week...

Okay, here are the classes for the MCC '09"

1) Expert T/A (Pure USVTA Rules)

2) Sportsman T/A (Local TMPLR Rules)

3) Junior T/A (Local TMPLR Rules)

4) 17.5 Touring Car (BYO Jaco Blues)

Trophies in all divisions.

Best T/A paint job (Two Divisions: Junior and Adult)

Entry Fee = $20/adult and $10/junior (50% discount for 2nd class)

Note: drivers running in Expert T/A cannot enter the Sportsman class.

Uh,,,, am I overlooking the date?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #5771
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
Uh,,,, am I overlooking the date?
Sept 27th...and its also in my signature
Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #5772
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance8813 View Post
Do u guys allow the hpi corvette stingray body?
the other thing about the HPI Corvette...You can only buy it clear directly from HPI RAcing - from what I've been told by 2 hobby shops is they can only get the pre-painted versions..

Its a nice looking body - but, personally, i perfer the camero or 'cuda

I've seen a couple of guys in NJ run it on their nitro VTA cars, and it don't seem to offer the same handling like the 'less rounder' bodies do (like the mustang, cuda, camero)
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #5773
Tech Champion

I dont order anything on-line(support your LHS)....both the lhs here have/had them in stock, and all were clear...Ive seen the Vette Flux in black here at the lhs...and it went in a day.....

and most ppl that race TA, dont care to much about handeling as they do about looks...I mean its important...but we all like cool looking old school muscle...I havent ran mine yet, but we will see..lol...hope it dosent handel like that Superbird..YUCK!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #5774
Tech Champion

Default CASHVILLE 24HR SCALE TRANS-AM ENDURO

here are the concourse trophies for this Saturdays 2.4 Enduro...yes that is the Vette on top...lol...each member of the winning concourse team will get one....enjoy and cya Saturday Aug 29th...
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-darkside-racing-022.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-darkside-racing-021.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #5775
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Thought I'd share the results of some VTA testing we did this afternoon/evening.

First some background--our club has been racing VTA since, quite literally, BEFORE the beginning. We run the class as originally designed allowing only the 4-cell / 27T brushed combo. We do, however, realize that the days of being able to buy round cells are finite and almost certainly number in the hundreds. We'd like to incorporate LiPo batteries and will take brushless along for the ride if we can come up with a compatible spec to run with the 4-cell / 27T cars.

Regardless what any of the naysayers trumpet, the 2s LiPo / 21.5 combo is faster than the 4-cell / 27T combo on a medium indoor layout. I believe the initial testing for the 2s / 21.5 combo was done on a fairly large outdoor track and I can see that if a track has a LONG straightaway or two that the FDR restriction would probably even things out. Our track has a 65' straight and it is OBVIOUS that the 2s / 21.5's run faster, as it was when we had our club 2-day event last spring on a track with a 100' straight.

Today we ran three different VTA cars with three different combos. These three cars placed 1-3 in the last two VTA races and run very similar times on the same combo. Shawn runs a Xray T2-007 and ran a 2s / 21.5 combo. Bryan runs a TC5 and ran a 4-cell / 27T brushed combo. I run a tubby TC4 and ran a 1s / 13.5 combo. Throughout the testing session the 2s / 21.5 combo laps right at 1/2 second faster than the 4-cell / 27T combo, 10.2-10.3 second laps vs. 10.7-10.8 second laps. These give us a baseline for our 1s comparo.

We had NO clue where to gear a combo like this, and when in doubt I'm a believer in being conservative. I started out with a 6.5FDR and it was way slow...didn't even turn on the AMB system. I worked my way down the FDR range by .5 increments and found that at 5.0 that this 1s / 13.5 combo is right at as fast as the 4-cell / 27T combo. Unfortunately, I can keep going down in FDR as the lap times keep improving and the motor is only up to 110* after ten minutes of running (and only taking 16-1700mah on recharge!!). I'd say that if FDR were limited to right around 5.0 this would work in the same class as the 4-cell / 27T cars.

To get down to a 4.5 FDR I was going to need a 48t pinion to go with the 88t spur I'd installed. The 48 won't fit without a bit of grinding on the chassis webbing but a 46t will. I had an extra 78t spur and found that I can get down to a 4.2 FDR with that 46t pinion and no grinding.

My guess is that somewhere between 4.5 and 4.0 on the FDR that this 1s / 13.5 combo will be lapping as fast as the 2s / 21.5 combo and (again, my guess) at a lower temp. The 2s / 21.5 motor is running about a 4.5 FDR and is temping in the 150-160* range.

Once I "prove" this tomorrow morning I might try dropping a 17.5 in the car, leaving the 1s in there, and seeing if they match up a bit better w/o creating an FDR "patrol". I'm guessing, though, that I'll need to go to larger pinions yet so I'll have to grind away the chassis webbing under the pinions.

More info later,

Scottrik
Closed Thread