Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #5671
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
if you look at our local VTA rules...you can see our solution in keeping our VTA's from looking like touring car rubber...but for the USVTA...I think that technology is going to play its part..4cell/27/17.5 will fade out..only cause of technology...its up to the racers to say.."hey guys we are just as fast as the TCR guys...we should slow it down"...and if someone has a porblem with it, they are depending on pure speed, not setup and driving....trust me Ive tried it both ways..and the slower speeds is what makes VTA different driving experience....

the USVTA has done the best they can do to keep the class from getting turned into another TC class...like keeping the Novak 21.5, as well as changing any of the rules to meet anyones personal needs...lol...but with all the new tech always coming out, its gets harder and harder to keep it at normal VTA speeds...it comes down to the racers and race directors to come up with temparary solutions for their home tracks...until Rob and the USVTA come up with a national solution.

here are some ideas for your local track.....

1.run a mph limit...cheap radar guns....even the toys work well for this...
2.run a higher fdr...some tracks have had success with this..say 5.0 fdr
3.make a break-out class...run a 12 second lap max...11.6 and you loose a lap
4.use a dyno for the advanced timing esc...set it at 19,000 rpm
5.with adv time esc...set it to normal..say the SPX on profile 6 max..7 & 8 are advance timing profiles...
6.and of course ask the other racers to work together

hope this helps cya
I am confused. My local track said that you can use ANY 21.5 motor. Here you guys are saying the NOVAK 21.5 is still the spec motor.

Which is it? I currently have a Speed Passion 21.5 motor. Also, concerning VTA rules, are there any more bodies allowed? I might have missed the memo, but I am ready to see some more VTA bodies come into the fold. Tired of seeing nothing but Camaro and the Cuda.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #5672
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
I am confused. My local track said that you can use ANY 21.5 motor. Here you guys are saying the NOVAK 21.5 is still the spec motor.

Which is it? I currently have a Speed Passion 21.5 motor. Also, concerning VTA rules, are there any more bodies allowed? I might have missed the memo, but I am ready to see some more VTA bodies come into the fold. Tired of seeing nothing but Camaro and the Cuda.
The following bodies are allowed:

Bolink part numbers:
BL2262 '68 Chevrolet Camaro
BL2263 '65 Ford Mustang

HPI part numbers:
17510 - 1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda
17519 - 1966 Ford Mustang GT
17508 - 1965 Ford Shelby GT-350
7494 - 1968 Chevrolet Camaro

Parma part numbers:
10143 - 1969 Z28 Camaro
10141 - 1970 Boss Mustang
10113 - 1970 'Cuda

Pegasus Hobbies part numbers:
PGH4001 - 1970 Camaro SS
PGH4002 - 1970 'Cuda
PGH4003 - 1970 Mustang

As for motors Novak 21.5 is the motors for sanctioned events. Your local track can state any motor they want.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #5673
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post

for your club racing..do whatever keeps your turn-out up..but just remember that when you are attending USVTA events, you must go by the book..

same applies with bodies...we run some of everything old school at our local track...but when I goto Memphis or ATL or Chi-town its USVTA all the way..

I dont see any body changes anytime soon...but I will let ppl know that we picked up 2 new racers cause of the HPI Vette body...as well as 3 teams for our CASHVILLE 24HR SCALE TRANS-AM ENDURO are running it also....adding bodies will come nationally, but only the USVTA will decide which ones...

ps...they did add 2 bodies early this year...
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #5674
Tech Regular

It will be interesting if the USVTA allows the Novak Ballistic 21.5 as well as the original SS21.5.

Different motor.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #5675
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondor View Post
It will be interesting if the USVTA allows the Novak Ballistic 21.5 as well as the original SS21.5.

Different motor.
Only on the outside. Same rotor, same field coil, same inductance. Already accepted as the SS series is being phased out.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #5676
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

DARKSIDE - Thanks for the ideas. As a person who was considering racing TA. I watched the cars from the first couple of years running 4 cell stock and it was close interesting racing. It was less expensive because one of the ways they were promoting it was to use an older chassis you might have sitting around. So, except for the tires and wheels it was a budget class. Now, I watch guys running the 21.5 with lipos flying around at TC speeds and with high end chassis. So, as an outside observer I see it just like a TC class with certain tires and bodies. That's great if that's what the majority wants. And in our area I think most people are happy. As for me I'm on a tight budget and I'll running in less expensive classes.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #5677
Tech Regular

same winding as other companies 21.5s as well.

its a different motor.

i can replace the stator to a different wind if i choose.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #5678
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You don't need an expensive or new chassis to have fun in VTA. As a number of racers will attest, older cars can still win. I am more than competitive locally with my TC3 and do well even at larger events. Other than an initial investment on a brushless speed control/motor, the only other costs have been on minimal parts replacement, normal tire wear, and new bodies. Speaking of tires and bodies, you can get months of racing out of the tires and bodies.

----------

Speaking of having fun with older cars. Top 2 cars in our parking lot asphalt VTA racing on Sunday were TC3's followed by a TC5 in 3rd. I was even running a Orion 2400 in qualifying (our local rules allow it) and was just as fast as "better" batteries.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #5679
Tech Champion

Quote:
same winding as other companies 21.5s as well.

its a different motor.

i can replace the stator to a different wind if i choose.
Good point. It is all just a perception of advantage. Having a control motor just makes teching easier.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #5680
Tech Regular

that is true.

but vta is becoming just a secondary tc class.

battman has good ideas with the way they are treating speed controllers.

instead of the motor or battery of the month, there is the speedo of the month now.

dont get me wrong. i have a novak 21.5 and a tekin jacked up all the way it can go.. and still get my rear handed to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #5681
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
that is true.

but vta is becoming just a secondary tc class.

battman has good ideas with the way they are treating speed controllers.

instead of the motor or battery of the month, there is the speedo of the month now.

dont get me wrong. i have a novak 21.5 and a tekin jacked up all the way it can go.. and still get my rear handed to me.

i had the tekin running vintage and it sucked.... for whatever reason I was as slow as the LRP TC spec guys with my timing boost... but i sold it and baught the KO BMC and its incredible...

Alex
Old 08-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #5682
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01 View Post
i had the tekin running vintage and it sucked.... for whatever reason I was as slow as the LRP TC spec guys with my timing boost... but i sold it and baught the KO BMC and its incredible...

Alex
I run the Speed Passion LPF 1.1 and its more than I need. I can hang with the big dogs. No use having the fastest car and being inconsistent though.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #5683
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

mabe your driving is phenominal.... but in a speed race i garuntee the 1.1 wont out run the top speedos on the market....

Alex
Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #5684
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01 View Post
mabe your driving is phenominal.... but in a speed race i garuntee the 1.1 wont out run the top speedos on the market....

Alex
No, I really do stink, but the car is fast.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #5685
Tech Regular

I'm building up a VTA. My particular chassis is limited to 27t brushed because of gearing limitations. From what I've been reading in this thread it is turning into a 21.5/lipo only to be "competitive". If this is the case, might I suggest changing the FDR limit on 21.5 to something "lower"-ie 5 to 1. Also for consideration-putting ball bearings in 27t brushed motors. After all the 17.5 and 21.5 motors come with ball bearings. I have no illusions about my driving abilities-but knowing that a good driver might be able to take my car and hang with the group would go a long way toward making the VTA experience a good one. Don
Closed Thread