Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To figure out the FDR on a TC3/TC4, take the spur gear divided by the pinion and muliply by gearbox ratio of 2.5. The easiest way to get the max legal VTA FDR on the TC3/TC4 is 84/50*2.5 = 4.2 FDR. I run anywhere between 44-48 pinions normally depending on track layout and handling of my car.

----------

I do just fine with my "obsolete" TC3 in VTA. I also do just fine with my "outdated" LRP Sphere Competition TC. I even do fine with my "under-powered" Orion 3600 lipo batteries. In fact on Sunday I beat 3 good drivers using TC5's even though 2 were using the Tekin RS speed controls, 1 was using the LRP SPX and all were using newer/better batteries with higher C rating & bigger capacity/mah. I even ran an HPI 'Cuda body vs their 2 Pegasus Mustangs and HPI Camaro.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Rookie

we have a little vintage class here where i run, but its a funky one, stock tt-01's with the hpi vintage rims and bodies, lots of fun, but not fast paced! :P
Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
As an outside observer, i was considering joining the vintage scene. When it all started a few years ago, I think it was class where guys could run 4 cell nimh packs and 27t motors and use cars that were on the shelf like TC3's. Now it's evolved into more expensive chassis, lipos, 17.5 brushless motors, 21.5 motors with larger batteries. I watched the cars run and I have friend who runs the 27t with four cells and he really can't keep up at the higher levels. He is an excellent, very experienced driver. All that's ok and if that's what the majority wants then that's the way it should be. But, I think as in some areas I have read on this forum they run a sportsman's class. I'd like to see that. If a lot of drivers want to run a vintage Corvette body why not expand it? Other rules have changed.
At this point, nimh and 27t are going the way of the dinosaur. 1S lipo is going to be in the ROAR rules for 1/12, IIC is 1S for pan cars, etc. At this point, I can't imagine that racers would have continued to embrace TA racing they way they have if they were restricted to nimh and brush motors.

In the last 6 months, with the new lipos and SPX, Tekin RS, and others, 21.5 has become faster. There is no doubt. Before, I did not feel that way, but now you can't deny it. At the same time, I will not try to equalize all the parts of the drive system. Number one, a well sorted car will win 99% of the time anyway, and number two, i don't want tech to become a huge burden.

If anything I'd like to slow the cars down across the board. The slower the cars, the tighter the racing, super esc or no super esc. I'm not sure of the best way to do this yet. If I had my way, I'd just say everything will be on 3.7v lipo and a 17.5 or 21.5. However, the amount of people complaining about having to buy new stuff would be incredible. I don't want to burden anyone either, especially if they can race on what they have. I'd like to do it the most cost effective way for everyone. Maybe that is a gear limit change.
Maybe we just leave everything alone, since the devil you know is better than the one you don't. I know we WILL be testing stuff out to see what can be done.

As far as the bodies, as I have said in the past, feel free to run stuff like Corvettes or Novas if your track will allow it. That's fun stuff for club racing, and it keeps things fresh. For the national rules/big events, I want to keep it limited to the current body list.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Also, I have gotten some messages about the 21.5 Ballistic motor. I emailed Novak, and this was their response:
"The Ballistic Spec motors will spec out the same as our current line of SS Pro motors. They use the same windings, rotors, etc. The main changes with the motor are cosmetic and with the addition of the new sensor assembly which allows for easier timing adjustment and the replacement of the sensor harness itself."

I'm hoping that as the SS motors are phased out, the Ballistic motor will be able to slot right in without problems. I'm going to try to find one when they are generally available, for testing.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

For any of you TA racers looking to race up against Chicago's best Trans Am talent the 2009 Asphalt Assault begins this weekend with the first of three races to be held between July, August and September 2009.

Find the details here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...lt-2009-a.html
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
The HPI Sprint 2 is a fairly durable car. The car itself is a bit flexible, but that might not be a bad thing for a newer racer. I've seen a number of local racers use those cars in VTA and I don't recall them ever breaking anything. If I recall the car comes with .6 metric gears, so you may want to swap that out for 48 pitch or 64 pitch gears. It also comes with gear diffs, which require less maintenance.
I've been running a Sprint 2 and it is fairly durable. The only thing that I have broken on it is a steering knuckle. Also, that car comes with 48 pitch gears out of the box.

Jim
Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

whoops....I really meant FDR....And I've got a 72 spur not an 88.... Sorry!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks Rob for the info on the Novak 21.5....just hate to see that orange against my pretty blue..lol...

also the idea of running older chassis and equipment in VTA is still very possible...you have to talk to your local club members and race director and come up with a good solution...its very possible to get all the cars fairly "SPEED" even...setup is on the drivers...just remember that what works on a club level doesnt alsways work on the National scene or at USVTA events...

here are some ideas that have worked for us...

limit your speeds to 20-25mph...this seems outta bounds, but a cheap toy radar gun at random times on the straight works wonders...

another thing is using a dyno to pre-set everyones car thats using high/advanced timing esc's...

set some higher fdr's....4.2 is great on big tracks...but Ive seen some tracks start at 5.0..and they are big as well...

and the easiest way is for the drivers to all set the cars so it looks like spec racing...at the beginning of the day when your track is open to practice, talk to each other when one car looks like its TC rubber tire going down the straight...lol..if it looks to fast, ask the driver to turn it down...this can also be done by the race director, in a down low manner without making it a big deal....

also...sportsman classes are great as well...we have one as well...and those are the guys that are working outta of the B-main...

but just keep in mind that this class got so many ppl into it because of the bodies and slower speeds....if we lose them we are just back to square one with touring cars...
Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the post Robk. I have been wondering about the 1s lipo and the Ballistic motors.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Default CASHVILLE 24HR SCALE TRANS-AM ENDURO

just a couple of notes about the race...

1. its at Thunder RC in Nashville,TN
2. all entries goto the track
3. the payout is from the sponsors
4. you must have visible tire thread on tires to start
5. sign ups are due around the 15th, it doesnt have to be paid, but this way we can judge the crowd
6. a Team Concoures contest will be judged, trophy to the team members
7. yes you can run the new hpi Vette....but be warned...3 teams have picked that body as well...
8.doors open at 9am for practice
9.qualifiers at 12 noon
10.race at 2pm
11.done by 6pm
12.any vintage American Muscle car..Vettes,Novas,Chevelles,Chargers..ect
13.all drivers will be required to race for at least 40 mins...thats roughly 4x's at 10 min a turn..
14.personal transponders are required
15.6-10 teams are expected...

if you have any questions please pm me or post here as I check this thread daily

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 07-21-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by pejota
Typically no, the 67 Vette didn't race in Trans Am during the years this class is modeling.

Now, if your local group allows it, have fun.

HOWEVER, if you decide to go to a large, USVTA sanctioned race, be prepared to run one of the legal bodies.

That list of bodies can be found on the main website-
www.usvintagetransam.com

Hopefully that answer staves off the countless, "READ ALL THE POSTS FIRST BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN ANSWERED A MILLION TIMES ALREADY" posts.

There is a VTA/FAQ thread that should answer any other questions you have.

thanks for answering my question and sorry if i'm one of many that ask that question but i'm not willing to spend hours reading the 5500+ post in this thread
Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NegaDuck
thanks for answering my question and sorry if i'm one of many that ask that question but i'm not willing to spend hours reading the 5500+ post in this thread
Its cool I have done far worse. If you dont believe me just have a search through here. Anyway dont look back. Welcome to VTA. Its a blast.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

+1...ask away.....love having new racers....its the POOH!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Initiate

it looks like a fun class to get into and maybe my elec. 4-tec might be a good racer for this
Old 07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

After close to 10 years I am starting again. Thanks to this website and the owners and racers at Nexus who took the time to update me on the latest information on todays chassis, motors, and electronics. I will be starting again running the VTA class. I already acquired used equipment and am all set up minus body and tires. Choosing a body is turning out to the the hard thing to do. They all look soo cool. I am kinda settling on a cuda body, but the camaro is also pretty sick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.