Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #5506
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamB&B View Post
We allowed the VTA HPI Challenge spec nitro cars to run with the electric. In the end, the electric 21.5 and LiPo have better handling and don't require the 5 minute fuel stop.
Cool.....never heard of that class, but makes sense that there would be one.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #5507
Tech Elite

Just curious....how bad is the HPI Sprint 2 Chassis? I keep digging around for a couple TC3 FT's kid vehicles, and all I seem to find is RTR ones asking for 100-150$. I still would have to get a 30$ set of tires\rims and a 25$ body for it.

I was thinking of a couple of these, and selling off the Brushless setup & radio system to get the roller cost down to about 140-150$ a piece. Maybe less.

I would then run 4 cell\27T brushed.

Again, this is for a 5yr old, and a 16yr old that have never raced before. They likely will be in a novice class to start anyways, but I wanted a vehicle
that would be class legal for the future.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #5508
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamB&B View Post
2 minutes into the race, Scooby Horton (Red Cuda) and Mike Haynes (Yellow Camaro) started to trade paint non-stop for 6 minutes. These guys were having way too much fun while they entertained everyone and ran the track backwards.

HD option available.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Thanks for sharing manG!!!! Wish I could have been there!

Loved hearing all the on stand "antics" Way too funny!!!!!!!!

It really was a GREAT race though....I hope Mike was able to compound out all the red paint off his rear quarterpanel....Hahaha
Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #5509
Tech Initiate

when and where is the next race i'd like to check it out
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #5510
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The HPI Sprint 2 is a fairly durable car. The car itself is a bit flexible, but that might not be a bad thing for a newer racer. I've seen a number of local racers use those cars in VTA and I don't recall them ever breaking anything. If I recall the car comes with .6 metric gears, so you may want to swap that out for 48 pitch or 64 pitch gears. It also comes with gear diffs, which require less maintenance.

The RTR kit is probably a good deal since it comes with mounted VTA tires ($40) and a painted body ($50 on Towerhobbies). Don't forget that the Sprint 2 does have a number of hop-up options that can be found here - http://www.hpiracing.com/kitoptions/100422/

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 07-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #5511
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How was your VTA racing this past weekend?

Friday night carpet on-road racing at Indy Slots in Indy/Beech Grove saw 9 racers. Personally I had waaaay to much oversteer and had a bad night. However, the top 3 cars were qualified within a couple of seconds of each other. In the A-main there were multiple lead changes. 1st & 2nd finished within a few seconds of each other.

Sunday parking lot on-road racing at Hobbytown North Indy saw their best turn-out with 12 racers. I made up for poor performances lately by beating out 3 good TC5's with my trusy TC3. The top 4 cars were all very close in performance/lap times, but it came down to who could setup their car best for a bumpy section in the sweeper. Overall a great day of racing outside.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #5512
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
when and where is the next race i'd like to check it out
August 2nd at Nifty Fiftys in Turnersville....Sorry to hear about Pennsauken closing....

Use our thread in the "racing forum" for the latest info....
Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #5513
Tech Initiate

would i be able to use the hpi (#100473) 1967 CHEVROLET CORVETTE body in this class???
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #5514
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaDuck View Post
would i be able to use the hpi (#100473) 1967 CHEVROLET CORVETTE body in this class???
Typically no, the 67 Vette didn't race in Trans Am during the years this class is modeling.

Now, if your local group allows it, have fun.

HOWEVER, if you decide to go to a large, USVTA sanctioned race, be prepared to run one of the legal bodies.

That list of bodies can be found on the main website-
www.usvintagetransam.com

Hopefully that answer staves off the countless, "READ ALL THE POSTS FIRST BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN ANSWERED A MILLION TIMES ALREADY" posts.

There is a VTA/FAQ thread that should answer any other questions you have.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #5515
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Hopefully that answer staves off the countless, "READ ALL THE POSTS FIRST BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN ANSWERED A MILLION TIMES ALREADY" posts.
Why did you take the fun out of it.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #5516
Tech Elite

Just got a VTA car I bought in the mail today.....I got such a good deal on this I almost feel ashamed....almost

Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #5517
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidebt2 View Post
Why did you take the fun out of it.
I could smell everyone warming up their keyboards. Especially since this question was asked about 2 pages back.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #5518
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

As an outside observer, i was considering joining the vintage scene. When it all started a few years ago, I think it was class where guys could run 4 cell nimh packs and 27t motors and use cars that were on the shelf like TC3's. Now it's evolved into more expensive chassis, lipos, 17.5 brushless motors, 21.5 motors with larger batteries. I watched the cars run and I have friend who runs the 27t with four cells and he really can't keep up at the higher levels. He is an excellent, very experienced driver. All that's ok and if that's what the majority wants then that's the way it should be. But, I think as in some areas I have read on this forum they run a sportsman's class. I'd like to see that. If a lot of drivers want to run a vintage Corvette body why not expand it? Other rules have changed.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #5519
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just purchased a TC3 that I plan on using for this class. I've got a 21.5 motor coming so I can use a lipo setup. Where can I find a roll out for this car? I've got a 88 spur in it right now. Thanks.....
Old 07-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #5520
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDog32 View Post
I just purchased a TC3 that I plan on using for this class. I've got a 21.5 motor coming so I can use a lipo setup. Where can I find a roll out for this car? I've got a 88 spur in it right now. Thanks.....
I don't know that you'll be looking for rollout so much as you will your final drive ratio as everyone is running the same tires. Your interal gear ratio is 2.5 and the lowest FDR you can run in the class with that battery/motor combination is 4.2. Depending on the track you run on you may want to start somewhere around 4.5 and adjust from there. (lower number/faster for big outdoor asphalt track/higher number/slower for tight indoor carpet track)

4.5 FDR / 2.5 (internal ratio) = 1.8
88T spur / 1.8 = 48.8888 pinion

try a 48 or 49 pinion to start with the 21.5/lipo combination.

The VTA Photon! (Inactive - back to the Kawada!)
http://vtaphoton.blogspot.com/
Closed Thread