R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #5491
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,942
Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)
Default

TC3's are good cars, but not as durable as some others.
MD is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #5492
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
TC3's are good cars, but not as durable as some others.
Any suggestions?
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #5493
Tech Fanatic
 
redmike76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 939
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

I'm sure this could be debated all day long, but if you can find more affordable TC5s I'd just go that route. Mine has taken some serious beating as I've learned to race it and has held up with no real breakage at all. I've heard others at the track say the same thing about their ruggedness. Also, if you're all running the same car it will make setup and spare parts that much easier to handle. If you look around you can even find the standard TC5 team car still for $250 new. Just my 2 cents.
redmike76 is offline  
Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #5494
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike76 View Post
I'm sure this could be debated all day long, but if you can find more affordable TC5s I'd just go that route. Mine has taken some serious beating as I've learned to race it and has held up with no real breakage at all. I've heard others at the track say the same thing about their ruggedness. Also, if you're all running the same car it will make setup and spare parts that much easier to handle. If you look around you can even find the standard TC5 team car still for $250 new. Just my 2 cents.
I would prefer 2 more TC5's, but funding to get 3 cars total going is the limiting factor.

I plan on the 2 additional cars to likely run a 27T Brushed setup on 4 Cell NiMH's, as I have a bunch of stick packs I can break up into 3 packs per car. This also lets me still use the 2 MRC chargers I have for NiMH's.

This is for a 5yr old, and a 16yr old. I think my main concern is that the car should go straight when you let go of the wheel.
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #5495
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,942
Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)
Default

The Tamiya TA05 is a good car and the Losi XXXS.
MD is offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #5496
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ashland city tn
Posts: 2,646
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

ran the havok 21.5 last night w/ smc 24c 4100mah lipo .......LOVED IT
__________________
Rick Hess
Yokomo-Amain-Protek RC
R&C Hobby shop Clarksville TN
RCP Customs-RC Juice
rkhess is offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #5497
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 106
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

What about a TC4? Mine has been working great for me. I have also been running VTA and learning to race. Had several had hits and its just the body that is showing wear. Parts are still readily available too.
One other thing I like is that there's almost always somebody at the track who raced one to help if your stumped.
Tiger72 is offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #5498
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

TC3's and TC4's are PLENTY durable, especially at the reduced speeds (lighter impacts) of VTA. Best part is you can get two of either (nice examples) and a PILE of parts and still have money left over compared to the price of a single TC5. Plus if you need more the parts for either are CHEAP and PLENTIFUL.

They're also plenty competitive in the class as the speeds are lower so the chassis of any TC really aren't being pushed to their limit. I would argue that the shaft drive is an advantage in this power-limited class too and that the dreaded "torque steer" of song and story (not that I'd ever noticed in higher power classes) just doesn't exist at VTA power levels.

Where the TC3-4 comes up short:

a) ease of adjustability. They're just plain a pita compared to more modern cars to adjust things like rear toe, anti-squat or dive, etc. That said, once you find a good setup that works who really changes these things anyway (other than folks with WAY too much time for practicing and futzing with cars)

b) for running the LiPo / 21.5 option you need to create pinion clearance for the larger pinions you'll need to run. This isn't rocket science, but it is an extra step. This is not necessary at all running the 4-cell / 27T you indicate the kids will start out with, but if you upgrade to LiPo / 21.5 you'll need to play with this. By then you'll be familiar with the cars and will be able to see EXACTLY what needs doing to accomplish this.

I raced TC3's for a long time (when I bothered racing TC) and have raced a TC4 in VTA for two years now. The only Achilles heel I've found on the TC4 is that the steering racks seem subject to breakage right in the center where they're notched for the "servo saver" capability. If I was going to run a kid with a TC4 I'd give some thought to using a servo saver on the servo too as an attempt to take a bit of pressure off the steering rack.

OH...if you're "shopping" for TC3-4's I'd advise against the RTR cars. Ask rather than assume, but the aluminum drive axles are worthy upgrades for "learning drivers" and the threaded aluminum shocks are pretty much "must-haves" for racing. Don't assume either of these are on a car even if it's advertised as "FT". If you can't clearly see the parts ask the question.

Good luck in your family VTA adventure. You'll have a lot of fun together.
__________________
Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #5499
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
TC3's and TC4's are PLENTY durable, especially at the reduced speeds (lighter impacts) of VTA. Best part is you can get two of either (nice examples) and a PILE of parts and still have money left over compared to the price of a single TC5. Plus if you need more the parts for either are CHEAP and PLENTIFUL.

They're also plenty competitive in the class as the speeds are lower so the chassis of any TC really aren't being pushed to their limit. I would argue that the shaft drive is an advantage in this power-limited class too and that the dreaded "torque steer" of song and story (not that I'd ever noticed in higher power classes) just doesn't exist at VTA power levels.

Where the TC3-4 comes up short:

a) ease of adjustability. They're just plain a pita compared to more modern cars to adjust things like rear toe, anti-squat or dive, etc. That said, once you find a good setup that works who really changes these things anyway (other than folks with WAY too much time for practicing and futzing with cars)

b) for running the LiPo / 21.5 option you need to create pinion clearance for the larger pinions you'll need to run. This isn't rocket science, but it is an extra step. This is not necessary at all running the 4-cell / 27T you indicate the kids will start out with, but if you upgrade to LiPo / 21.5 you'll need to play with this. By then you'll be familiar with the cars and will be able to see EXACTLY what needs doing to accomplish this.

I raced TC3's for a long time (when I bothered racing TC) and have raced a TC4 in VTA for two years now. The only Achilles heel I've found on the TC4 is that the steering racks seem subject to breakage right in the center where they're notched for the "servo saver" capability. If I was going to run a kid with a TC4 I'd give some thought to using a servo saver on the servo too as an attempt to take a bit of pressure off the steering rack.

OH...if you're "shopping" for TC3-4's I'd advise against the RTR cars. Ask rather than assume, but the aluminum drive axles are worthy upgrades for "learning drivers" and the threaded aluminum shocks are pretty much "must-haves" for racing. Don't assume either of these are on a car even if it's advertised as "FT". If you can't clearly see the parts ask the question.

Good luck in your family VTA adventure. You'll have a lot of fun together.
Thanks for the information. I plan on staying away from the RTR stuff, but will see what I can find a deal on. The trouble will be trying to find 2 used near identical cars.

If I find a good deal for a couple TC4 RTR's, I might go that route, but only if the deal is really good. I still would have to get a motor & rims\tires\body for the class.....

Will keep the kids in NiMH for a while. Keeps me from having to buy 2 more chargers (I have 2 LiPo and 2 MRC 960's already) and I can just get some battery bars and make six 4 cell packs from 4 six cell stick packs. They are all 3000Mah+ so should be fine for starting out.
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #5500
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,156
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I also HIGHLY recommend the TC3 or TC4 as a VTA vehicle, especially for starters. Like what's already been said, parts are still plentiful and they are very durable. I only broke 1 part the entire 9 months that I had my TC4, and that was a caster block because I hit a cement-reinforced apex going about 20 MPH. I've never used aluminum parts on the vehicle, either.

If you want a cheap LiPo charger, you can't go wrong with the Onyx. I don't own one, but I've used them and many of my friends have them.
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline  
Old 07-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #5501
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,578
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Bump on the TC3s. I have 3 of them. 1 started as a FT car and needed a cleaning and diff rebuild. The second was a team car with FT shocks. I upgraded it to full FT spec for about $60 and my son runs this one because its more durable. The last is my first Touring Car I bought new in 98 or so. It now has an IRS chassis, but hasn't been tested since getting the upgrade. Both have run well and I can TQ with mine on a good day. I paid $100 for that one and have spent less than $25.00 for spare parts. I'm going to try the third car soon. Its ready to go anyway.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #5502
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 272
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

My only suggestion to the TC3/4 cars are to invest in RPM front bumpers they protect the front sooo much better. My son and I both run TC3's in VTA and are VERY happy with them.
__________________
J. Barton
Associated B5M
Associated RC8B3E
smokefan is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #5503
Tech Master
 
TeamB&B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,177
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

2 minutes into the race, Scooby Horton (Red Cuda) and Mike Haynes (Yellow Camaro) started to trade paint non-stop for 6 minutes. These guys were having way too much fun while they entertained everyone and ran the track backwards.

HD option available.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
RCAmerica / Sweep
TeamB&B is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #5504
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamB&B View Post
2 minutes into the race, Scooby Horton (Red Cuda) and Mike Haynes (Yellow Camaro) started to trade paint non-stop for 6 minutes. These guys were having way too much fun while they entertained everyone and ran the track backwards.
That was cool. why did it sound like a little nitro car was in there somewhere?
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline  
Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #5505
Tech Master
 
TeamB&B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,177
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
That was cool. why did it sound like a little nitro car was in there somewhere?
We allowed the VTA HPI Challenge spec nitro cars to run with the electric. In the end, the electric 21.5 and LiPo have better handling and don't require the 5 minute fuel stop.
__________________
RCAmerica / Sweep
TeamB&B is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia Vintage Trans Am Racing shadow102 Georgia Racing 725 02-24-2012 09:56 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Thursday Vintage Trans Am racing at Victory in Green Bay Brian F Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 13 05-10-2008 08:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net