Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #5431
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
We will allow 27t/ 2s Lipo use at our club races.
A FDR or FDR range will be suggested for those racers.
That sucks. Now I wish I had bought the 17.5 instead of the slow 21BL that I can only use for VTA and is not legal by the standard RCGT rules. While I do not agree with the decision, I will not argue any further on it.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #5432
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
If they had a '70 nose piece, I'd definitely look at it. I just don't want to go down the path of cars that are kinda like something that ran. Then everyone has an argument for anything they'd like to see legalized.
Instead of asking well how about this one or that one. What would be the list of real cars that ran in the real 1:1 VTA series, that if they were reproduced in lexan, would be considered for the legal list. Its my assumption and only that, all we are missing is a couple year models on the Javelin, then the Falcon, a Challenger, a 70TA then what, a notchback 66Mustang?

Edit: Wait we need someone else to make the Mustang and Camaro that Pegasus is selling. Those things are sad.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #5433
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
nashrcracer;6015616]BATTBOY DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN TO TA CLASS AND SHOW YOU WHAT I CAN DO.

but like you have said to me a 1000's times..this is what really matters... (LOUIS)..lol

Music City Championship...40 TA cars
Expert TransAm A Main Round# 5, Race# 4

Kinnard, Myron #2 38 8:09.441 12.016
Smith_Brian #3 38 8:11.032 12.063 1.591
Bean_Matt #1 37 8:00.980 11.619
Cornbread #4 37 8:10.135 12.096 9.155
Martin_Donald #6 37 8:12.944 12.363 11.964
Davis, Neal #11 34 8:07.803 12.279
Hillis, Will #7 34 8:11.036 12.707 3.233
Dirla, Robert #8 31 8:17.638 12.522

Thunder Jam Championship...25+ TA cars....
Pro Trans AM A Main Round# 4, Race# 4

Myron Kinnard #1 32 8:02.247 14.142
Robert Dirla #2 32 8:10.804 14.318 8.557
Justin Lyons #6 32 8:12.621 14.106 10.374
Donald Martin #3 31 8:09.189 14.221
Darryl Bingner #4 31 8:10.466 14.746 1.277
Danny D #5 30 8:11.950 14.655
Mike Holt #8 21 5:59.032 15.118

and current Points leader for both points series..indoor and outdoor

and I know you wanted one of these....REALLY BAD...
thunder jam I'll give ya that was a rough main. you got lucky I was near last at one time. but let's see ran 12th scale TA and was the race director for one of the biggest onroad races at thunder. I was a bit preoccupied... plus it was only 15 TA at the Jam. as for music city that one and I don't care what you say is tainted. you should be ashamed of that one. there was only 10 pro class drivers for that race the rest was sportmen 10beginner 10 and kids 10 so don't make me bring out my snowbirds trophy!

ps anybody reading this take anything we say with a grain of salt!

pss and stuff it in battboy's knife wound I just put in his back
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.

Last edited by nashrcracer; 07-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #5434
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spngr311 View Post
That sucks. Now I wish I had bought the 17.5 instead of the slow 21BL that I can only use for VTA and is not legal by the standard RCGT rules. While I do not agree with the decision, I will not argue any further on it.
Little confused. Whats the 17.5.got to do with anything? We use the VTA rules as a standard. We don't follow the RCGT rules so that racers CAN race in both OUR programs with the same car. 17.5 BL IS allowed in VTA but by all accounts, it hasn't proven to be as good as the 21.5. Little surprised by the "slow" description. Again, by most accounts on this forum and from personal experience, it's all about setup and driving. What decision are you against? As stated, the "allowance" of 27t/Lipo is meant to encourage people who have that combo currently ( and I don't expect there to be many) to have an entry option. All racers will be encouraged to "get legal" as soon as is feasible.

Last edited by Evoracer; 07-03-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #5435
Tech Adept

Simple enough: My comparison is based on the equivalency of the 17.5 brushless on lipo to the 27T brushed on lipo. Since I had to buy gear just to run VTA, it would have made sense for me to just by the 17.5 and gear it down as you are now allowing an equivalent brushed motor. You might as well run the RCGT rules then if you want to make it easy for the existing R/C community to just jump in with their lipo gear and stock 27T motors. I can't use the 21.5 motors for anything else, it's too slow for any other class or style of racing, so now I feel as it is a waste of money. It is a slow motor as I can't use the 21.5 for drifting or in an offroad buggy. We should just stick to the rules - let these new people borrow some four cell packs if you want them to run. You made such a big deal to Joe and his family about how cheap it is to get into VTA, why not apply this to the new people and have them run four cell packs with their existing 27T motors? All I'm saying is it is better to just stick to the rules.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #5436
Tech Elite

Quote:
Simple enough: My comparison is based on the equivalency of the 17.5 brushless on lipo to the 27T brushed on lipo. Since I had to buy gear just to run VTA, it would have made sense for me to just by the 17.5 and gear it down as you are now allowing an equivalent brushed motor. You might as well run the RCGT rules then if you want to make it easy for the existing R/C community to just jump in with their lipo gear and stock 27T motors. I can't use the 21.5 motors for anything else, it's too slow for any other class or style of racing, so now I feel as it is a waste of money. It is a slow motor as I can't use the 21.5 for drifting or in an offroad buggy. We should just stick to the rules - let these new people borrow some four cell packs if you want them to run. You made such a big deal to Joe and his family about how cheap it is to get into VTA, why not apply this to the new people and have them run four cell packs with their existing 27T motors? All I'm saying is it is better to just stick to the rules.
Agreed. But remember the primary point. These ALLOWANCES are only meant to be short term. Had anyone asked for that allowance earlier we would have dealt with it the same way but that wasnt even discussed. I wasnt even aware Joe was running a 27t. My impression was that he and most of the drift crew were running lower turn BL motors. Remember also that we are not making allowances for proper batteries. Any Lipo must fall within VTA guidelines.Mute point though. If ANYONE wants to run a 27t or a 17.5 with Lipo AND an adjusted FDR TEMPORARILY until they can conform to official rules...it will be allowed. We're not changing the rules but simply trying to stay with the original philosophy. Make it fun, Make it as inexpensive as is reasonable, show the benefits of the VTA rules and make people part of a really good program..which includes compliance with the rules. At best, the allowances are meant to allow someone the opportunity to TRY this style of racing and then decide if they want to get involved. We have compliant loaner cars but if there's more people than cars, they can use their own with the allowance. Hope that helps clear things up.

BTW Rob, why didn't you just buy the 17.5 and get some inexpensive 4 cell packs to run?? That seems like it would have solved the whole problem. 2 decent 6 cell packs converted to 3 4cell packs would have been your best bet.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #5437
Tech Adept

Then I'm stuck with batteries I can't use for anything else! Joe went and bought some used 27T motors (because they were cheap) but he (and I) don't have NiMh batteries laying around and don't want to buy a bunch of batteries to only run for one class (especially when I get those hard cased Zippy lipos for $30!). Personally, I am "new-school". I got into R/C recently and bought mostly LiPo's. All the NiMh batteries I did have I gave to my dad or my father in law for their VTA cars I built them to help build up the VTA class and I built their cars to the rules.

As far as a temporary solution, I'll believe it when I see it. "Temporary" allowances hardly ever are.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #5438
Tech Elite

Sorry we can't help solve every situation. As for the "temporary" situation: sorry u've seen that happen before but I doubt ,given our start with the rules in mind , that situation will ever occur.

Thanks for all the input folks. Your PM's and e-mails were appreciated.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #5439
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Then I'm stuck with batteries I can't use for anything else! Joe went and bought some used 27T motors (because they were cheap) but he (and I) don't have NiMh batteries laying around and don't want to buy a bunch of batteries to only run for one class (especially when I get those hard cased Zippy lipos for $30!). Personally, I am "new-school". I got into R/C recently and bought mostly LiPo's. All the NiMh batteries I did have I gave to my dad or my father in law for their VTA cars I built them to help build up the VTA class and I built their cars to the rules.

As far as a temporary solution, I'll believe it when I see it. "Temporary" allowances hardly ever are.
Sounds like your between a rock and a hard place. The 17.5 or 27 will kick a 21.5 all around the track with 7.4V 2S lipos. Gearing them down will only affect top end. With that much extra power available to the 17.5 and 27, the torque advantage would be massive. Your best bet would be to take your gear and run RCGT or bite the bullet and get a 21.5. I'll never give up lipos myself and had to make the same decision. I went 21.5 and don't regret it. I now its not what you want to hear. I'd recommend the 21.5 though.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #5440
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How was your VTA racing over Independence Day weekend?

VTA indoors at Indy Slots on Friday saw 12 cars. Top 5 cars were qualified fairly close. The B main winner used his bump-up to win the A-main. 2nd in the A main was only 2 seconds back after 53 laps in an 8-minute run. Earning a spot in the A-main at Indy Slots continues to prove that you have to be a smart driver as much as having a good car.

VTA parking lot at Hobbytown Indy North saw 7 cars. TQ was set by me with a TC3 using the Havok 21.5 system, Futaba 3PD transmitter on FM, Trakpower 4900 lipo, and a Traxxas $28 servo (2056). I was running against 4 good drivers with TC5's. In the main, I clipped a board and fell out early. However, the top 2 drivers (TC5's) had a good battle the entire race and finished about 6 seconds from each other after 47 laps. The upside from the parking lot racing was that I loaned a set of old "worn" tires to the driver who won the A-main.

Looking forward to the 3 River's Festival VTA race this Saturday in Ft. Wayne, IN. I've heard that there is a number of drivers traveling to this event. Should at least be 6-7 from Ohio, 6 from Indy, local racers from Ft. Wayne, and ?? from other areas.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #5441
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One additional note from VTA racing this weekend. We had a driver show up to race in the parking lot with a stock TT-01 with friction shocks and zero rear toe-in. He was going to race the 13.5 lipo class, but needless to say his car was a handful.

Instead of him going home, we let him borrow a set of VTA tires, asked him to dial down his top end (since the TT-01 uses .6 metric gears), and let him run with VTA. Not only did he have a lot of fun, he really saw what a good class this is. He was already talking about looking for a good used chassis for VTA and I fully expect him to be compliant when he shows up next time!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #5442
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
How was your VTA racing over Independence Day weekend?
Hey GanG! Great day of Vintage/RCGT racing yesterday at Nifty Fiftys here in New Jersey!

Awesome turnout, awesome weather, awesome spectators, awesome miLKshAKES!!!!!!!!!

Can't thank them guys enough for an outstanding day of promoting R/C racing to the masses!

So many spectators walked away with HPI Catalogs and website info, so they can follow us online! Quite a few wanted to join us in the future, so this is only the beginning to building up our onroad program, to what it was back in the day....

More new race faces as well....Nice to see more people in Nitro Vintage going with real retro bodies like a 67 Corvette, a 57 Chevy, and even a 61 Chevy Impala! How cRaZY was that????

All these body styles fits into the Nifty Fiftys theme, so this is a win-win for everyone!!!!

Here are the RayZults from yesterday....
http://www.sjccr.com/results/Alpine_...07-05-2009.htm

Here are a couple of cool pics too....

The rest of my pics can be found in the www.sixfoottiger.com gallery
Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #5443
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Looking forward to the 3 River's Festival VTA race this Saturday in Ft. Wayne, IN. I've heard that there is a number of drivers traveling to this event. Should at least be 6-7 from Ohio, 6 from Indy, local racers from Ft. Wayne, and ?? from other areas.
There should be a couple of us IL guys there too...should be a good race Im sure.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #5444
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wish I could be at two places at once....have a great time guys and we will try and show what VTA is all about down here....

dont forget BEAT the HEAT/Xray Challenge 2009...this weekend in Memphis ,TN...cya there
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 07-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #5445
Tech Initiate

I found out today there will be a $100 gift certificate for Granite City bar and grill restaurant awarded to the winner of the concours this saturday at the USVTA race.
Closed Thread