Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #4816
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

cool pix......love the cuda looks like a bull out there
RCP Customs-RC Juice
Old 04-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #4817
Tech Elite

Shameless Trans Am racing plug for our first outdoor race here in Chicago. Racing this coming Sunday, April 26th. See post #598 in this rctech thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...dge-il-15.html
Old 04-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #4818
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spngr311 View Post
I only took about 40 I liked,
The "Auto Trader" white number sticker on that blue car. What's the story with that? A sponsor of some sort? Fill us in, please.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #4819
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Auto Trader back in the day was a used car listing magazine.... now it's a website although it might still be in print.

The body and car itself i bought from KevinK via this website. If you look at some of the pics on the main VTA website you can see the car on the grid at Harbor Hobbies i think. Not sure if he made the sticker or bought it... there seem to be a lot of customized decals on the car.

HPI Pro4, great car i highly recommend if you can get a hold of one. Right now i'm having trouble with setup on the low-medium bite concrete. I asked for setup advice in the VTA tuning Q&A if anyone has some ideas.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #4820
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Im glad you still have the car. I saw the pictures the body still looks too clean get out there and race more...lol.

The Auto Trader sticker was off of an old Parma sticker sheet.

Set-up whats the car doing....and what do you want it to do.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #4821
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
The Auto Trader back in the day was a used car listing magazine.... now it's a website although it might still be in print
I knew that but I was wondering if AT was somehow involved in your racing program?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #4822
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

hey guys, i just picked up a tc3 to start running vta with, can anyone help with a starting carpet setup for a lipo car? i mostly race offroad but am looking forward to giving this a try, any help would be apreciated, thanx Pat
Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #4823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post

HPI Pro4, great car i highly recommend if you can get a hold of one. Right now i'm having trouble with setup on the low-medium bite concrete. I asked for setup advice in the VTA tuning Q&A if anyone has some ideas.
PJ's camaro was doing pretty darned well for being loose in the tail....All that fishtailing around kept getting the attention of my Cuda...it took a "bite" of out of his bumper at least twice that I can remember !! Sorry PJ.
I could use similar advice to get the rear of my Tamiya Evo4 glued down too. Not horrible but loose on power entry in to turns. Did more drifting than I like. Lengthened wheelbase by placing spacers ahead of a-arms. That helped. Shocks on second hole from top. 40 weight oil. Yellow sway bars frt/back. Natural concrete surface,no sauce. Suggestions ?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #4824
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TC3 Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtpny4 View Post
hey guys, i just picked up a tc3 to start running vta with, can anyone help with a starting carpet setup for a lipo car? i mostly race offroad but am looking forward to giving this a try, any help would be apreciated, thanx Pat
Using the stock TC3 setup as a base, go a bit stiffer in the front, both springs and shock oil. The higher the bite of the carpet, the stiffer you'll have to go. A one-way will help it rotate on tight corners. Lay down the rear shocks one step at a time. You'll probably start loose, so you can mess with stiffness (less), rear ride height (lower) and rear droop (more) to get that under control.

I went from offroad to VTA carpet in one jump myself. The cars don't have monstrous power, so momentum and corner speed are important. Good throttle and brake control are needed, and I think offroad experience helps. It's hard to pin down a setup while you're finding a comfortable driving style, since one really follows the other. Coming from offroad, I'm comfortable with loose, but too loose is slow, so it's become a search for the happy medium. I like to get the front to stick first, then start trying to get the other end to follow it around.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #4825
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok I just got a HPI Pro4 am had the idea to run this class. Do I have it right to run a lipo I have to run a 21.5 brushless no brushed?? and is there a place near Tampa, FL that runs them???
Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #4826
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, to run the lipo you have to run the 21.5 brushless motor.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #4827
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhberger View Post
Using the stock TC3 setup as a base, go a bit stiffer in the front, both springs and shock oil. The higher the bite of the carpet, the stiffer you'll have to go. A one-way will help it rotate on tight corners. Lay down the rear shocks one step at a time. You'll probably start loose, so you can mess with stiffness (less), rear ride height (lower) and rear droop (more) to get that under control.

I went from offroad to VTA carpet in one jump myself. The cars don't have monstrous power, so momentum and corner speed are important. Good throttle and brake control are needed, and I think offroad experience helps. It's hard to pin down a setup while you're finding a comfortable driving style, since one really follows the other. Coming from offroad, I'm comfortable with loose, but too loose is slow, so it's become a search for the happy medium. I like to get the front to stick first, then start trying to get the other end to follow it around.
ditto..I was an off-roader as well and VTA was a perfect class for my driving style...I havent looked back to dirt since...VTA all the way
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #4828
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhess View Post
cool pix......love the cuda looks like a bull out there
didnt cya there...whats up?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #4829
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

DARKSIDE for being a former off-roader and being new to VTA, you ran really well at Nat's, it was a blast pitting next to ya

I went straight from 1/18 trucks/buggies (carpet w/jumps) to VTA and I couldn't have asked for a better "introductory" class to 1/10 and touring cars. There are A LOT of kids joining the VTA group now, also. Every one of them ran 1/18 with me (not considering myself a kid though ) and they have all said VTA is a blast. The speeds are just about right for them, and a few of them have started placing decent in the B-Main, even with only a few weeks experience!

Kids these days

I tell ya though, at the rate some of these kids are learning, they're gonna be Mod Touring A-Mainers by the time they can legally drink alcohol!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #4830
Tech Champion

good to hear from ya...hope to race you guys some this summer...you didnt have to get any pics or video..it seems that the full results and video/pics are not around?
Closed Thread