R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #4726
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lets assume you are new to the hobby, do you point a new rc enthusiast towards batteries that are only going to be good in this one class or point them to a battery they could use in a few different classes once they get more involved?
Same goes with chargers and motors etc. Lets say I am new, I want to try out this class since it looks like its inexpensive and fun. If I go 4 cell 27 turn my initial investment is low but now I see another rc I like and it's off road. If I want to race it I need new batteries again because there is no 4 cell off road. My charger will do the job for NiMh but I can buy inexpensive LiPo 2400 packs for a few dollars more than the stick packs in a hard case. I will need another charger tho for LiPo.
However if I bought all of this the other way I could use my batteries and charger for the second class.
The only ones the 4 cell really will appeal to are the guys who have a bit of 1/12th scale stuff left over like batts and motors from stock.

I honestly cannot feel good about pointing someone towards 4 cell brushed if they are new to the hobby or to the class unless they already have the stuff left over from 1/12.

I know your club is all about 4 cell 27 only which is different because that is the rules, but for the rest of us we have the option so it just does not make sense for many to use old technology when we can get new stuff like 21.5 and a 4000 mAh battery, run in a 1 hr enduro with two pit stops (three at most) and have a huge smile the whole time.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #4727
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERN0 View Post
Lets assume you are new to the hobby, do you point a new rc enthusiast towards batteries that are only going to be good in this one class or point them to a battery they could use in a few different classes once they get more involved?
Same goes with chargers and motors etc. Lets say I am new, I want to try out this class since it looks like its inexpensive and fun. If I go 4 cell 27 turn my initial investment is low but now I see another rc I like and it's off road. If I want to race it I need new batteries again because there is no 4 cell off road. My charger will do the job for NiMh but I can buy inexpensive LiPo 2400 packs for a few dollars more than the stick packs in a hard case. I will need another charger tho for LiPo.
However if I bought all of this the other way I could use my batteries and charger for the second class.
Our biggest class is 1/12, in combination with 1/12 is the ONLY class our neighbors to the east (Minot) support and it is one of the largest classes run by our neighbors to the south (Denver). So 4-cell (for now, anyway) is commonplace. The brushed motors, not so much anymore though 2/3 of our 1/12 stock racers here run brushed motors in Stock still. I estimate we'll be 2/3 (or more) running brushless next season. 1s LiPo also appears to be fast approaching from the horizon...I will be surprised if 1s isn't the new ROAR standard as of their 2010 rule book. I think the recent Carpet Nats were the last on-road nat we'll see with round cells OR brushed motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERN0 View Post
The only ones the 4 cell really will appeal to are the guys who have a bit of 1/12th scale stuff left over like batts and motors from stock..
Not "left over"...actively raced. Most of our "new" 1/12 racers have come from the VTA ranks this last two seasons.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #4728
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
......lipos and brushless is what has got eletric racing back on top...even 8th scale nitros are going lipo/bl...so lets be real about the fact that USVTA/VTA/TA/Trans-am is alive and well because of lipos/bl...half of us wouldnt run this class or any ele class without them......
I wouldn't go back to the old brushed battery wars thats for sure!! lipos and brushless is what has got eletric racing back on top
Old 04-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #4729
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
VTA is a spend once and run the crap out of it and maybe spend money on new tires twice a season. Maybe twice. At my tracks once a guy gets into TA he's spending more on bodies and paint during a season than batteries.
So true .. painting is getting old!! lol
Anyone have thicker 'model thick' bodies for these yet? lol
Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #4730
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob o View Post
Bob Oaks one happy racer again.
Hiya Bob! I hope all is well.

FYI, Strictly's outdoor racing will start up very soon. We'll post the schedule here on rctech soon.

Something new for area racers if they want to have a "digest of area racing announcements" is the twitter feed for ChicagoRCracing. You can see local schedules easily here:

http://www.twitter.com/chicagorcracing
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #4731
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Kenji, thanks again for the phone call and info the other day.

Question to all...Although i haven't searched thru the thread I'd like recommendations on which 17.5 motor(s) have shown to have the best comparitive performance ? Just asking so I can give honest opinions to club members who are moving up the motor/batt ladder and can't afford the full BL/lipo option yet. Thanks
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #4732
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just make sure you guys point the newbies and returning racers in the right direction...dont sale them old tech(batt,charger,motors.ect)...let them make the right investment and if it doesnt work out...its alot easier to sale lipos and 21.5's than somebodies old 27t and 4cells...

point made on this thread all the time.."we have guys pretty much giving old 6cell packs away..and 27t are easy to get from the guys that DONT want them".

..help our class grow by not thinking of ourself...make sure you promote this class as a fun and cheaper way to do some on-road racing...make sure that they have the HONEST answer when asked ...tell them the long term benifits....if we dont do it here on the forum, at the track, in the hobbyshop,on the job, and in the street...touring car can always use some new blood...to drain!....

our local policy is ...."FUN,FAIR,CHEAP"...CYA
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 04-12-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #4733
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
just make sure you guys point the newbies and returning racers in the right direction...dont sale them old tech(batt,charger,motors.ect)...let them make the right investment and if it doesnt work out...its alot easier to sale lipos and 21.5's than somebodies old 27t and 4cells...

point made on this thread all the time.."we have guys pretty much giving old 6cell packs away..and 27t are easy to get from the guys that DONT want them".

..help our class grow by not thinking of ourself...make sure you promote this class has a fun and cheaper way to do some on-road racing...make sure that they have the HONEST answer when asked ...them them the long term benifits....if we dont do it here on the forum, at the track, in the hobbyshop,on the job, and in the street...touring car can always use some new blood...to drain!....

our local policy is ...."FUN,FAIR,CHEAP"...CYA
Dark...very true ! Falls under that responsibility thing as club managers and fellow racers. If somebody simply doesnt have the budget...be honest with them and try to help make the choice reasonable and with full disclosure to the ups and downs.
I've already started doing this and I find that as long as I keep focusing on the fun factor that VTA offers...the drivers with small budgets don't feel at a disadvantsge and really start planning and looking forward to upgrading the cars but concentrate on learning to drive and race first.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #4734
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've been racing at thercshack.com for a month or so now...

I must say this class is amazing.

Myself and a couple other run our xrays ranging from like 04's-007's and we all seem to have a n even playing field.

The great thing is a guy can throw his "cheaper" 27t setup in his car. Work on setting it up and learning, then save up for his brushless lipo set up.

the 27t setup may not be as competitive some may argue but atleast its a stepping stone.

I am really not sure where i am going with this but it seems its the same debates over and over in this thread.

At the shack we have started "loaning" or selling our older equipment cheaply to others.

I bought a car cause it was a good price in good condition. Sold it to a local guy, gave him a esc and motor to use. He had a battery, another guy loaned him a servo. Thercshack.com owners leant him a beater body, and he is on the track learning.

I think thats what we need ton concentrate on.... using this class to have fun and bring others into the hobby.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #4735
Tech Elite

Keep the faith man....These discussions will always be part of RC but with the overall attitude of most VTA folks, things will simmer down and the fun factor will win. That attitude started with the originators and thats the big difference.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #4736
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dino, glad to see your alive and well and racing the trans-am class? Give me a call at home the number is still the same.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #4737
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Hey Kenji, thanks again for the phone call and info the other day.
You're welcome Dino. It was great talking with you. It must be great to be able to run outdoors all year long. Your concrete sounds great too. Wish we had a racing surface like that here outdoors.

PS: How do you guys keep cool in July and August at the track outdoors?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #4738
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Good golly a LOT of us would like to know THAT secret!!

I don't race outdoors in the summer here...chubby guys from Seattle just can't tolerate 95-105 degree temps at the off-road track. I can't IMAGINE what it would be like spending the day on asphalt. If we could solve that I'd work toward getting some outdoor racing done here, but with just a E-Z UP, etc that just ain't soundin' like fun to me.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #4739
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
LOL! We don't! We put a up a pop-up to provide shade for the tables and charging stations and we drink a lot of water.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #4740
Tech Elite

Quote:
You're welcome Dino. It was great talking with you. It must be great to be able to run outdoors all year long. Your concrete sounds great too. Wish we had a racing surface like that here outdoors.

WE DRINK ALOT !!! water that is. Hope if any of you folks get down here you'll come see us. Honestly...with concrete it's not so bad. Yes it would be hell if it were asphalt. This really is a great site to race at.

Tony. Still at it man....I've kept track of you on the Florida thread. Looks like you're busy. Hope all is well and I'm sure I'll see you before to long. This program got me back into the swing of things and I'm diggin it. Talk soon.
Closed Thread