R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #4606
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Cody,

I just wanted to get an idea who was running what.. so for any one that wants to debate TransAm...

1st:
Camaro?
FT TC4 (no chassis spline, running standoffs)....
LRP Sphere....
Orion 4800 LiPo....
Good 'ole ball diff....

2nd:
Camaro?
TC3



3rd:
Cuda
RDX
Novak SS
MaxAmps
Spool

4th:
Cuda
FK04
LRP Sphere
SMC 4800 24C
Spool

Interesting ...
__________________
www.TheRcShack.com
www.TeamXray.com

Last edited by Spdjunky; 03-30-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Spdjunky is offline  
Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #4607
Tech Master
 
pejota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Any idea if the VTA crowd has any hardcore statiticians lurking here on the boards? I'd be interested in seeing some spreadsheets that compiled data like Spdjunky has posted.

Chassis
Motor
ESC
Battery
Front Diff
Sway Bar
Body

I'd be willing to bet a frosty beverage of one's choice that the results would be all over the place.

Anyone will to tackle a project? Or will this be like one of those staff meetings i used to attend when i worked at a university... "Great idea, PJ. Way to take the initiative and get that done."
pejota is offline  
Old 03-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #4608
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,156
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Brian Smith (IndyRC Racer) usually keeps track of statistics like that for Indy Slots. We have never expected him to but he seems to do it just for kicks, and we GREATLY appreciate the work he puts into the book keeping so to speak. Our "stats" are all over the place in terms of vehicles/powertrains/electronics that have taken the A-Main win.
cwoods34 is offline  
Old 03-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #4609
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 906
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Anyone will to tackle a project? Or will this be like one of those staff meetings i used to attend when i worked at a university... "Great idea, PJ. Way to take the initiative and get that done."
lol PJ
__________________
www.TheRcShack.com
www.TeamXray.com
Spdjunky is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #4610
Tech Addict
 
speedsterblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 690
Default

Thanks to the founders of USTVA! We had a great TA race yesterday, last indoor season race. Great turn out! and some great racing, very close. I duno all the details on the chassis/motor/batttery combos but I know they are all different but doesn't matter as the USTVA founders got the rules right! ..Just look how close the top 5, 10 & 20 lap averages are. We had some excitment/hacking in lap 1 and was basically the difference in finishing laps/times though Melvin is very consistent! Next time I want his car TECH'd!!! LOL.

Driver Name Pos Car# Laps Race Time Fast Lap Q# Top 5 Top 10 Top 20
Melvin Lee 1 1 36 08:07.9 12.994 1 13.077 13.137 13.267
Robert Dirla 2 2 35 08:03.7 12.966 2 13.033 13.118 13.229
Donald Martin 3 6 35 08:05.6 13.113 6 13.176 13.251 13.369
__________________
______________________________
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #4611
Tech Regular
 
ThisDougsForU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 338
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

It's looking like we may start running VTA here in St. Louis and I'm going to get in on this for sure. Would picking up a cheap TC3 be a good investment for my TA car? I know nothing about onroad rc!
ThisDougsForU is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #4612
Tech Adept
 
MelvinLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 142
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
Thanks to the founders of USTVA! We had a great TA race yesterday, last indoor season race. Great turn out! and some great racing, very close. I duno all the details on the chassis/motor/batttery combos but I know they are all different but doesn't matter as the USTVA founders got the rules right! ..Just look how close the top 5, 10 & 20 lap averages are. We had some excitment/hacking in lap 1 and was basically the difference in finishing laps/times though Melvin is very consistent! Next time I want his car TECH'd!!! LOL.

Driver Name Pos Car# Laps Race Time Fast Lap Q# Top 5 Top 10 Top 20
Melvin Lee 1 1 36 08:07.9 12.994 1 13.077 13.137 13.267
Robert Dirla 2 2 35 08:03.7 12.966 2 13.033 13.118 13.229
Donald Martin 3 6 35 08:05.6 13.113 6 13.176 13.251 13.369
I had a great time at this race. I was running a Xray T2R Pro, FDR 4.21 Lipo 21.5.
__________________
LELO LEE
MelvinLee is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #4613
Tech Addict
 
speedsterblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: TN
Posts: 690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDougsForU View Post
It's looking like we may start running VTA here in St. Louis and I'm going to get in on this for sure. Would picking up a cheap TC3 be a good investment for my TA car? I know nothing about onroad rc!
Tons of fun, worth the effort of getting it going!

Any old TC is a good choice. One of the great things about the rules.

tc3/4s are a popular choice and alot of them running in vta.
__________________
______________________________
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #4614
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,302
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Yo, Valvoleen!

You coming up to the Nats? Wouldn't be the same without you here. Dirla can stay at home though.
Rick Vessell is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #4615
Tech Master
 
TfnG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wesley Chapel FL
Posts: 1,262
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

im from the st louis area also. really looking forward to the new carpet track. this will be my first on road experience too. i actually bought a tc5r thats set up for touring classes...but, i wouldnt mind making a VTA car out of it if we will have a class. anyone else running a TC5 in VTA?
TfnG is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #4616
Tech Regular
 
xevias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, PRC
Posts: 348
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdjunky View Post
Thanks Cody,

I just wanted to get an idea who was running what.. so for any one that wants to debate TransAm...

1st:
FT TC4 (no chassis spline, running standoffs)....
LRP Sphere....
Orion 4800 LiPo....
Good 'ole ball diff....

2nd:
TC3



3rd:
RDX
Novak GTB
MaxAmps
Spool

4th:
FK04
LRP Sphere
SMC 4800 24C
Spool

Interesting ...
Hey Speedy -

Wonder if you should include bodies on that list too. Seems like the "serious" racers all use the Camaro.

And I've got a Novak SS5800 speedo on that RDX - not a GTB. I'm old school.

But that will change soon. I saw first hand what a Novak 21.5 can do before and after it was used with a programable ESC. Absolutely unbelievable.

The VTA mantra "It's not about technology, it's about car set up and driver skill" is turning into a pretty funny cliche - almost as bad as when a woman says "size doesn't matter..."

Have fun.
xevias is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #4617
Tech Regular
 
xevias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, PRC
Posts: 348
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TfnG View Post
im from the st louis area also. really looking forward to the new carpet track. this will be my first on road experience too. i actually bought a tc5r thats set up for touring classes...but, i wouldnt mind making a VTA car out of it if we will have a class. anyone else running a TC5 in VTA?
TC3's, 4's, and 5's do well in VTA. Big upside is there are pleanty of parts available for all the AE stuff and lots of set up sheets out there to study and download helping you get started.
xevias is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #4618
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,588
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Serious racers all use the camaro because it is one piece and you will not lose the bumpers in a race. It is also a bit lower, which some guys are looking at too I'm sure.

I also know I have gotten beat by Mike Haynes with a SpeedPassion ESC. I had the new SPX and he either had the GT or the LPF, he beat me down at the snowbirds. Made me feel real good about my new LRP purchase...
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #4619
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Serious racers all use the camaro because it is one piece and you will not lose the bumpers in a race. It is also a bit lower, which some guys are looking at too I'm sure.

I also know I have gotten beat by Mike Haynes with a SpeedPassion ESC. I had the new SPX and he either had the GT or the LPF, he beat me down at the snowbirds. Made me feel real good about my new LRP purchase...
You see, you don't believe in Jesus, you go to hell...in this case, you believe in Solara, and the GT2, can't say DENY about what Mike Haynes said...
Solara is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #4620
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

We had our last two races of the 2008-2009 series here at Magic City on two consecutive Sundays. Attendance was down a bit from normal but that seems to be "normal" for series races as the series winds down.

As luck would have it I won our Vintage TA class both weekends. We run a "Club Spec" where our only allowable power option is 4-cell NiMH batteries and 27T brushed motors.

My car combo:

"Tubby" TC4 with threaded shocks ("setup" is whatever was on it when I dragged it out of the basement over two years ago now to build a prototype VTA car. I've got no idea if there's oil in the shocks, etc...it is EXACTLY as it was used a couple years earlier than that running foam TC. I just blew the dust off and mounted the appropriate body/tires/wheels.

I run a spool in the front.

I run a KO VFS-1 esc

I run an old CO27 motor I bought in a small lot from an off-road racer back east. I pulled one out of the box, turned the comm and installed F-brushes and made sure the hoods and bushings were aligned. In all the testing done to create the class PLUS two seasons of racing I have now turned the comm and re-brushed this motor exactly twice.

Last year I ran some IB4200's (the ones that supposedly don't last) that were on their second year. This year I'm running some second-hand Ener-G 4600's. I bought two 6-cell packs for $35/shipped here on RC Tech and turned them into three 4-cell packs.

I run a Mustang body that has NEVER lost it's rear bumper. Install 'em correctly it ain't a problem. This is the original VTA body on this car, front of the body looks like hell, the back still looks pretty good.

I DO NOT work on, tune, or otherwise mess with this car--I only fix what breaks (steering racks seem to be the Achilles heel).

The fellow who dominates our series runs a T2 007 and did not race VTA the last two rounds. I routinely have a fastest lap within about 1/10 second. The fellow I beat for 2nd yesterday was running another T2 007, the rest of the field is filled mostly with TC5's. The only similarly old car is a XXX-S.

I owe my success the last two weeks to driving more or less clean races. Both weeks the start was a bit "bumpy", but I drove clean for 7:55 both times and got the result.

In this class AT THE SLOW END OF POWER OPTIONS it is the driving, not the equipment. The guy who generally dominates the class isn't any faster than me, he's just more consistently fast.
__________________
Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia Vintage Trans Am Racing shadow102 Georgia Racing 725 02-24-2012 09:56 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Thursday Vintage Trans Am racing at Victory in Green Bay Brian F Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 13 05-10-2008 08:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:49 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net