R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #4516
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My earlier post of a 20 car mixed main had a track in mind like the Strictly RC parking lot track that Kenji runs. If you live within driving distance of Chicago O'hare airport, it is well worth racing at the parking lot track that they setup. They have strong VTA support.

Nothing beats racing outside and having large jets on their final approach going overhead!!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #4517
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
The House transponders register numbers just like the personals do, dont they? I mean if you can do it with personals then you could do it with half personals and some house, right?

The limiting factor with house transponders and that scenario would be that most clubs dont have 20 transponders.
yeah, transponder type doesn't matter. I just said personals, because, like you said, few places have more than 10.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #4518
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Raise your hand if your clubs scoring system could handle that scenario. I dunno.
We can run 20, but not fit 20 cars nose to tail.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #4519
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ok..all good comments. It sounds like there might be a place for the Cup Racer if any club wants to take on another class AND has the interest. Running them together might be interesting but I think it would still be more beneficial to the VTA movement to offer it as a completely separate class. They would have the same benefit as TA...all running with "spec" AND fun in mind. I guess I'm just hopeful that VTA continues to grow and encompassing the smaller cars would then seem feasible. That "class" of racing could only benefit from the practices that VTA has adopted. In the meantime ...its time to go run some Trans Am cars !!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #4520
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I'd rather just run one size of chassis on the track. The Z body I was looking at is from ABC and is for 1/10 touring cars, but it looks like the dominate opinion is to just have American cars (::cough:: boats ::cough:: ) on the track. Oh well, I'll still be out there racing - and as long as the bodies are of actual production style cars and not those hideous race bodies, I guess it is not so bad!

(Oh, and to clarify, I am not against American cars, I just have a preference for more sporty cars than classic muscle, in fact, my favorite cars of all time are the Shelby Cobra, followed closely by 1957 Corvette, followed by the Ford GT40 and am contemplating putting an LS1 in my 240sx.)
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #4521
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

You know, if you mix cup and VTA together, shouldn't that class be called the GRAND Am?
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #4522
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default gearing

Ok...I give up. I've been searching through posts until I'm dizzy so I'm just gonna admit to be confused and ask. I've run touring class and done some drifting but have no experience with 4 cell batteries or lipos and the only brushless is in my drift car which is way more powerful than a 21.5. Somebody explain the gearing to me?? Most touring 27t/6cell cars run around 7.2 ratio and BL drift cars in excess of 8.0. How the heck do VTA setups run well with such tall FDR's ?? It would seem they'd be massively slow off the line and have high top ends...which would be tough on technical courses. What the heck am I missing here ??
And yes....I'm expecting to hear a huge DUHHHH in my cranium when I get the answer.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #4523
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

4 cell 27t will run around 5.0, as 4 cell requires a taller gear.

4 cell 17.5 will run around 3.5, even taller than 27t. BL motors run much bigger gears than brushed obviously.

Since lipo/21.5 has more voltage, the motors actually run well around 4.5. The cap is 4.2, but the motors on carpet tracks seem to like 4.5 or higher even.

These motors have nowhere near the rpm of a drift motor. They do have torque, especially the 21.5, which Novak sold a version of as a crawler motor.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #4524
Tech Champion

here is a thought....dont "BLAST" me for this...but what about the guys that have been running 17.5 4 cell...I see alot of them buying the Havok 21.5 and lipo...for the up grade...what to do with the 17.5?....well of course we have a FDR for us that allows 17.5/lipo or 27t/lipo...and it works pretty well...the 21.5/lipo cars are just as fast...if not faster...

but what some of us whom have gone "Official USVTA"...we are using our extra 17.5 to run rubber tire. I know its no way as fun as TA...but it gives our die-hard TC guys a chance to run something close to TC...I think if we go to a "SPEC" tire (JACO BLUE) and allow any body you can have a little fun with it...I plan on running a Lambo body painted up like Bruce Wayne's in "DARK KNIGHT"...lol....just a thought....

also it helps with guys who want to travel some this summer...most of the tracks I plan to attend will have both classes..alot are just getting into VTA..so Im playing "PUSH THIS CLASS"....

just trying to make it a Trans-am world...YUMMY!
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 03-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #4525
Tech Elite

It looks like we will have a nice addition this year to Strictly's outdoor program...RCGT:

http://www.hpiracing.com/rcgt/

We get a very nice turnout to TA. I was thinking that HPI Cup Racer might fit in well with the RCGT not necessarily the TA class.

Until we see what the HPI Cup Racer product does out of the box we won't really know.

It will be interesting to compare laptimes for:

TA
RCGT (last year we called it GT3)
HPI Cup Racer
Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #4526
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

So, not to confuse everything, but what would the response be to creating a T/A 2.5 class, based on any mini chassis out there?

The idea would be to run them at the exact same time as Trans Am in the same class on the same track, but score them separately (if it's even possible). From the start, the bodies might be an issue, as there aren't a ton of European or Japanese sedans out there to use, but it would be a start.

The concept would be to use the existing T/A 21.5/Lipo spec ONLY, a spec tire of some type (TBD) and the various available sedan bodies for mini chassis, like:
  • Alfa Romeo GTA/GTV
  • BMW 2002
  • NSU TTS
  • Datsun 510
The bodies will be an issue, as they are not all readily available, but anyone jumping into this class will go the distance on acquiring the proper look for the U-2.5 class.

I'm just rattling things off the top of my head—I don't think the BMW 2002 is even a body that is made by anyone. There would be some needed testing to determine a weight that would be legitimate and figure out a realistic tire combo that would work for everyone, but it would allow anyone who wants to race a 4wd mini chassis like the HPI or Genetic.

Does anyone have any input, objections or ideas? If there is enough positive response, this might be something that we look to implement into the 2009 Summer rules for the USVTA. I think the concept could add to the existing T/A class without hurting the participation numbers at all, but increase them overall.

The only problem I see is that there are a lot of us who would have a difficult time deciding which class to run in the overall Trans Am class.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #4527
Tech Elite

Just off the top of my head and a kneejerk response is "why?".

Right now as a race track manager it's really easy to just spout off all day to anyone who asks "what car do I get?" I just have to say "Use any 1/10th scale on road 4WD chassis....."

Also right now as it stands I can at my discretion let anyone run anything I want them to along side TA in the same race, I'm not sure I need a national association to back me up with rules and regulations at this point in time.

I've been playing with these 1/10th scale cars for a few years now and I know exactly what a 4WD 1/10th on road chassis is. Call me ignorant, but I don't know what exactly constitutes a "mini" chassis other than Tamiya M03 and M04, and to muddy it even more "mini-Z".

That's just my perspective right now.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #4528
Tech Elite

Hey my other knee is jerking now.

If you can get anywhere near the amount of new racers to my tracks as Trans Am has I'll jump on your bandwagon and wag all the flags for you.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #4529
Tech Champion

yikes....
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 03-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #4530
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

It's just an idea that I decided to open up to discussion.

If the cars are running similar weights, and the same powerplants, there shouldn't be much speed discrepancy. All cars running in the same class should add to the USVTA and not detract from it in any way.

If it proves out to be impossible, improbable or unrealistic to combine the different style cars in one class, then it won't happen. It is something to think about, though. I have been trying to shoot holes in the idea for a few weeks and I can't come up with a good reason to not try to put something together that makes sense for everyone.

d
Closed Thread