R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #4501
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sorry All, didn't mean to hijack the thread. If anyone would like details on our new VTA club venture, please give me a call at 321-626-2092.

Pejota brings up an interesting thought. With the HPI Cup Racer coming out, would VTA consider them as an additional class ? Just a thought but they could be a great addition to the effort. VTA could expand their reach a bit because of the body types that many are attracted to and the cost won't be prohibitive compared to a decent long wheelbase 1/10 car. The motor/esc spec would have to be discussed but I really think it could be of benefit because it fits the VTA goal. Keep it fun, Keep it real and Keep the cost down.

Just had to add.....I am REALLY looking forward to this !!!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #4502
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

.....any dibbs on who will win the 2009 USVTA NATS?.....Im going with that guy that is really nice to his fellow racers and truly cares about this class.....

but then again...lol
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #4503
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Sorry All, didn't mean to hijack the thread. If anyone would like details on our new VTA club venture, please give me a call at 321-626-2092.

Pejota brings up an interesting thought. With the HPI Cup Racer coming out, would VTA consider them as an additional class ? Just a thought but they could be a great addition to the effort. VTA could expand their reach a bit because of the body types that many are attracted to and the cost won't be prohibitive compared to a decent long wheelbase 1/10 car. The motor/esc spec would have to be discussed but I really think it could be of benefit because it fits the VTA goal. Keep it fun, Keep it real and Keep the cost down.

Just had to add.....I am REALLY looking forward to this !!!
I also think a class with M sized wheel base cars would be great. I just dont think its a good idea to pressure the USVTA for it. Why not just build a club racer or Genetic and start practicing with it. Soon you will have enough interest to have a separate class at your local track.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #4504
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just an observation, but it looks like everyone wants to run the two classes together. I think it would be a blast to do that, but like someone else said, if they do that it would no longer be "official" USVTA.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #4505
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
Just an observation, but it looks like everyone wants to run the two classes together. I think it would be a blast to do that, but like someone else said, if they do that it would no longer be "official" USVTA.

I for one don't think running them together would be a good idea. As a second VTA class it might be considered. Otherwise, Snoopy had it right...Any club could offer it with the stipulation that it's not VTA sanctioned.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #4506
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Honestly, if you can get it going at your track, why not? Don't be afraid to do things at your track. That's pretty much how all this started- a few guys tried something new, other guys saw it and brought it back to their tracks, and now we have a fun new class.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #4507
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
I don't think most of the small tracks we get to run at have the space to run 2 classes at once. Its already chaos with 10 cars in one heat at our little slice of heaven.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #4508
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I really don't want to run two classes - I don't even know if we'll have enough to fill one class!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #4509
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
.....any dibbs on who will win the 2009 USVTA NATS?
I'll place a wager on Rob King.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #4510
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The key to making any r/c class fun is to make sure the differential in speed of all the cars on the track is close enough so that the slower cars aren't being run over. If the new HPI car can run a similar speed on the twisty parts of the track without being bullied by a bigger car and isn't being blown away on the straights, there is no reason why you couldn't run a combined main of both HPI cup cars and VTA cars.

The challenge for running a combined class would be how to sort out the qualifying. Would you have mixed qualifying or single class qualifying? Would you have an 10-car main with the top 5 in each class making the A-main?

The best solution would be to run a combined event on a large outdoor track where you could run a 20 car main where you could take the top 10 of each class and run them at the same time. Keeping track of the class leader and announcing it might be a challenge, but I suppose you could enter the racer's names in such a way that would help you designate the class they were driving. I can really see this working outdoors as long as there would be a place for all the drivers to stand.

At the end of the day you could have rewards for class leaders and over-all leaders. The emphasis should be placed on the class leader and not so much on the over-all leader. In a way this would be like the 24-hour on-road races where a lower class car sometimes places on the podium.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #4511
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Honestly, if you can get it going at your track, why not? Don't be afraid to do things at your track. That's pretty much how all this started- a few guys tried something new, other guys saw it and brought it back to their tracks, and now we have a fun new class.
This is true. You know at my local track if three guys show up with the same kind of car and they have all agreed on the rules. They can call it what they want and the race director will put it in the system for them. Heck we could put transponders on hoverounds and they would love it. So Robk is right on this. If you have some more guys that are interested in the car, get some and start it up. If you cant get it going Im sure someone will buy the Club racer from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spngr311 View Post
I really don't want to run two classes - I don't even know if we'll have enough to fill one class!
You know what if your attendance is that low, then it would probably be ok to run them together. Other tracks are filling up the starting grid with all official cars and they probably wont feel that way. Personally if I showed up with my official rules car, and there were only like two other VTA cars there, then I wouldnt care if I had to run against two or three club racers. (As long as they were on similar powerplants to what USVTA is running)
Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #4512
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
The best solution would be to run a combined event on a large outdoor track where you could run a 20 car main where you could take the top 10 of each class and run them at the same time. Keeping track of the class leader and announcing it might be a challenge, but I suppose you could enter the racer's names in such a way that would help you designate the class they were driving. I can really see this working outdoors as long as there would be a place for all the drivers to stand.
Raise your hand if your clubs scoring system could handle that scenario. I dunno.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #4513
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Pretty much any AMB can handle this, with personals. I think most scoring programs will do it as well. Most 1/8 offroad races are now 12-15 mains, so it is actually very common.

Kenji- stop trying to ruin my luck at the nationals....

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 03-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #4514
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
I'll place a wager on Rob King.
jinxs.....
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #4515
Tech Champion

The House transponders register numbers just like the personals do, dont they? I mean if you can do it with personals then you could do it with half personals and some house, right?

The limiting factor with house transponders and that scenario would be that most clubs dont have 20 transponders.