Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post5557114

Look for the rctech member Indy RC Racer. Brian know his TC3 for TA very well.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I hope this is the right place to put this but it is about Trans-Am and its my set up. I don't have all the "Set up" Tools but a guy at our LHS was nice enought to set my car up for me. He set my ride hight 4.5 front 5.0 back set my droop and checked for tweak. I got the car used and it has Yellow springs in the rear and Blue in the front. im recently having a issue with traction roll and I was told a cure was to use less Traction goop on my fronts. my question is with the Trans-Am cars since there a "slower" class will changing my front springs make a diffrence or is that somthing for more advanced drivers? I have Purple and Violet springs to stiffen it up but would I be just chaseing a never ending battle and just stick with what it has.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
I hope this is the right place to put this but it is about Trans-Am and its my set up. I don't have all the "Set up" Tools but a guy at our LHS was nice enought to set my car up for me. He set my ride hight 4.5 front 5.0 back set my droop and checked for tweak. I got the car used and it has Yellow springs in the rear and Blue in the front. im recently having a issue with traction roll and I was told a cure was to use less Traction goop on my fronts. my question is with the Trans-Am cars since there a "slower" class will changing my front springs make a diffrence or is that somthing for more advanced drivers? I have Purple and Violet springs to stiffen it up but would I be just chaseing a never ending battle and just stick with what it has.
Look just above you.. there is a TA tuning thread. Check it out.

I don't really have a specific answer for you but can say that spring changes will have an effect as will the amount you goop the tires. If you goop a little less and its still tippy then some other setup change is necessary. I'll let someone a little better with setup take you further.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have yet to find an ideal setup for my TC3 in VTA, but I'm probably being a bit picky. I always want more steering from the center of the corner without the car being loose.

I will try to look over my TC3 that I ran on Friday and post a .pdf of the setup I ran. I felt the car was very predictable for a medium bite track. When the traction started to come up the car developed a bit of under-steer, but this is on a track with very tight corners.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Before I found my "ideal" setup (to me) (and many thanks to IndyRC, above) I had traction roll problems, too, and we've came to the conclusion that my rear end was rolling too much, and the rear tire was grabbing. I went to short camber links all around and raised my roll center on my arms, and now I couldn't get the car to roll if I tried, at least on a medium bite track, and I dope all 4 tires completely.

BTW I'm running a FT TC4, but the 2 vehicles are comparable enough to help with setup me thinks.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hey thanks all. Guess I should of "Looked Up" before I posted here our track has been geting a real nice grove in it and it likes to flip going into a turn. I have a Xray T1R. Even when I was handleing great it had slow lap times. it would Bog down in the turns. sometimes were I could go wide open through turns others can't but that could also be a bad cell in a 2 cell lipo (lots of years on it) just a starter chassie for me were I can learn set ups. When the season is over I think im gona get a New TC5 then atleast I know whats allready been done to it.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Getting stoked up !! the Cuda body is cut and mounted. The TA05 is gettin some cleanup/dressup. Looking forward to our FIRST meeting under the VTA banner next weekend. Should be fun.
Looking forward to giving this VTA thing a shot this weekend man! My Havoc setup came today, got the mustang body mounted up and tires going. Just need to get another Deans plug for the ESC. Still hope to do a little drifting this weekend though.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So in Palm Bay this weekend we'll have Evo's Cuda, Spngr311's Mustang and my Camaro... should be a good looking outing!

Either of you guys mind if i bring my World Gt? It'd be nice to get some laps on something other than a beat up basketball court.

Sunday can't get here soon enough!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not a problem PJ. BTW, if your car is already setup with regulation motor, leave it alone. I think we'd be best served by jumping right in to a full regulation program.
27t isn't much different than can motors and hopefully drivers will have so much fun they won't be afraid to invest a bit more for BL if they want.
Give me a call before the weekend.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

HERE'S a new "optional" idea for running Vintage TA races...

Just got back from a 2-day race in Denver where they offered VTA. On the way there my traveling/racing bud JP suggested that it would be possible to "team drive" by adding a second Spektrum receiver and binding a second radio to that receiver. One receiver has the esc connected, the other has the steering servo connected.

Neither of us actually ended up entering VTA as the track has DISTINCTLY more traction than we have and we were both struggling to get our 1/12 cars dialed in. Saturday night after dinner we were bored so we decided to try the idea. The Novak GTB esc-receiver lead is EXACTLY what is needed to power up the second receiver. Just run that lead from "batt" port to "batt" port on the two receivers, remove either the esc lead or steering servo lead from the original receiver and plug into the appropriate port on the second receiver. Bind second transmitter to second receiver and BANG...you're off to the races. It really was that simple.

And talk about a HOOT to drive. I was put in charge of steering duties and found at first that I was operating the trigger as if I had control of the throttle. What this did was throw what little timing I have off as it wasn't responding as I was "commanding" it. So I took my finger off the trigger entirely and just steered and away we went.

We went ahead and entered the VTA class on Sunday morning and ran the LCQ and main. We ended up a reasonably competitve 4th place with a car that wasn't anywhere NEARLY set up for conditions.

Some suggestions:

Have the throttle men at one end of the driver's stand and the steering men at the other. No communication.

Have the co-drivers switch responsibilities at the half-way point of heats and mains.

This co-driving exercise would have been even more fun in a class with more power so there was more throttle manipulation needed.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Location: I live in the middle of nowhere. A place where we have roughly 0 nitro tracks, on or off road. All we have is flat grass and open corn fields, sometimes it's not even fun to bash there anymore.

dont they have rules against that, i'm not saying it's a bad idea, just saying i think some people would frown upon it
Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Interesting concept. I think I'd end up choking the other part of the team! lol. I've tried riding a 2 peson bicycle and it wasn't pretty, bent the perminately fixed handle bars trying to turn!

I personally would rather see long endurance races where battery swaps and driver swaps were required....I think there is a big race coming up in april that is doing this...or something similar but too far for me to drive...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by murdermode
dont they have rules against that, i'm not saying it's a bad idea, just saying i think some people would frown upon it
Not aware of any such "rule" in USVTA...offered as merely a fun-enhancing option. As far as "some people"...screw 'em. The class was designed with FUN in mind, and this was a TON of fun.

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
Interesting concept. I think I'd end up choking the other part of the team! lol. I've tried riding a 2 peson bicycle and it wasn't pretty, bent the perminately fixed handle bars trying to turn!
Hmmm...funny you mention tandem bikes. Another of my great passions is mountain biking:

Where my weapon of choice is called "The Beast" by our riding friends who've seen it (and us) in the woods:

Wish I had a good pic of us in action on The Beast--it always blows folks minds when they see just how tight a trail we can make that sob dance down. Or up. Funny thing, I guess, is that I score "steering duty" on The Beast, too, but mostly because a fair bit of upper body strength is needed to get that much inertia re-directed as quickly (and often) as it needs re-directing.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Is an xray t2 a good car for VTA? I had a 007 I believe before but sold it and now I am trying to get back into R/C its only been a few months but I never new much anyway Thanks for any help. yep is was a 007 looked at my old posts all 12. Is this car as good?

Last edited by RugRunner; 03-17-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RugRunner
Is an xray t2 a good car for VTA?....I had a 007 I believe before but sold it and now I am trying to get back into R/C its only been a few months but I never new much anyway....Thanks for any help...yep is was a 007 looked at my old posts all 12...is this car as good....
Rug....Sent you a PM there is a guy selling one on here in the for sale/trade forums....Its a good car for VTA or whatever.........Iwas gonna buy it but my buddy backed out of the deal sent you his info...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.