R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #4366
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think a lot of clubs do that. I know Nexus allows any 21.5 lipo. But Im still glad the USVTA site is up and the rules are posted. If our local guys travel to race somewhere else, they know to have a Novak 21.5 ready for running lipo. And if I wanted to host a large event and run VTA, everyone would know to expect official rules, even if weekend to weekend, the racing is more casual.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #4367
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
We have all seen it even though I cant tell you the guys name, I know that there is a racer around that fashioned for himself a nose piece that makes the HPI Camaro into a very convincing firebird.

I think Nash has a pic up on RC50. I know I saw the car at the Snowbirds.

And you guys are right about Dale and the tooling for undercut bodies. There was an issue with that as well. But there is still an issue with Automotive companies and attourneys not understanding what an RC shell is in the first place. They dont even know that these end up hand painted and for all intents and purposes they are disposable.
Yep, that's me. Unfortunately I can't mass produce them or I would. Dale did a couple of pics of the bumper though so maybe he can do something in the future.

Rick
Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #4368
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER View Post
...We are picking up at least 2-3 new racers a month....We have all motor/Batt combos represented and guess what I havent heard 1 complaint of course its kind of hard to hear over the laughter and good times bieng had....
Exact same scenario is happening here in Chicago!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #4369
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Jackson R/C in NJ is running VTA more regularly this coming season, and we'll TEST the 1S/13.5 combo to see if there's equality there and report back in a few months.

In my personal opinion, it seemed obvious that many new VTA racers had 1/12 4-cell packs laying around, making it easy to jump into the class. Since 1/12 is beginning to use the 1S lipo packs, it will be nice to know the equality of a 1S/13.5 combo to the current VTA powertrain combos. If allowing this combo at a local track keeps ex-4cell racers in the VTA class, then so be it. We'll try it and see what the results are.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #4370
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

just to drop a flyer

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...e-mseries.html

www.abchobbyusa.com
Follow us in Twitter and Facebook : Abc Hobby USA
Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #4371
Tech Apprentice

Default ...sorry for any previous mis-steps...

...like asking for 2.5 Challenge bodies to be included before I went back and read the previous 10,000,000 posts in the thread to see this had already been argued and flamed 10,000 times...my bad, but I still want my GT/CS body, lol. I am currently reading the 'back issues' to get up to speed (admittedly only up to page 110 or so thus far...) but have a "quick" question...

I know folks are coming to the consensus that the 17.5/4 motors aren't quite as uber-competetive as the 21.5/lipo combo...but when I look at the $$ involved in 'redeeming' an old TT01R gathering dust on my shelf vs. buying a new TB03 which I can run in TCS GT2 with the same 17.5 BL, I am wondering if a BL 17.5 motor will suffer any damage or 'run in' to a certain level of performance if I want to use the same motor at 4.8v as 7.2 when I switch it back to 7.2v for TCS races...

Back in my vintage 1:1 (street) racing days there were two schools of thought as to proper engine (motor) break-in procedures. A: break it in like you are going to run it-if that means 3000rpm clutch side-steps and 1/8mi runs, that's what you do once you have 500mi and a change of oil under your belt. And B: (Reen, you're prolly the only other person here with experience breaking in a solid lifter FE motor to Ford factory specs to back me up) a series of controlled WOT 4th gear grinds from 10-40 (admittedly dangerous with a Q-code 427 and a Borg Warner T-10 in a 2-ton Galaxie... been there, done WHAT WAS THAT? 2ND GEAR AGAIN? lol) for another 500 miles or so...which is to say engine break-in is independent of use, and once broken-in use it however you want...

So, for you guys with hella more electric experience than I, will I be hurting myself if I buy a single 17.5 motor and run it for a couple months at 4.8v and then try to run the same motor at 7.2v, or should I just bite that bitter pill and buy a 17.5 AND a 21.5 and use the same lipo for the two? If I go Lipo (and buy a new charger too) I'm gunna buy one of the Orion Carbon Editions because it's the only one that will fit in the M03 (and FF02, lol) for TCS, but I am wondering if it will end up cheaper/easier to use the same 17.5 motor and just swap batteries, or buy a 17.5motor, a 21.5 motor, and the Lipo / cheap NiCd.

To make a short story long, do BL motors tend to run-in to a certain voltage, or are they flexible enough that battery voltage is irreverent? I do know (as I sadly wear the Orange Apron for a living) that a drill or any other electric motor driven power tool when run on too long/weak extension cord will damage the motor, I am wondering if the same is true for BL motors at reduced voltage... of course the extension cord issue has more to do with amperage than voltage with brushed motors but I digress...

Cheers,
-M
Sand Scorcher
Old 03-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #4372
Tech Apprentice

Default and for those of you with real painting talent...

...I'd love for someone to panit up a Camaro in this scheme, My dad's been a friend of this guy for ever...a local San Diego legend...
Attached Images
File Type: bmp walls.bmp (181.4 KB, 123 views)
Sand Scorcher
Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #4373
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MMS1

i have seen that pic before on the in hotrod magzine nice pic
Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #4374
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattyMatty View Post
...I'd love for someone to panit up a Camaro in this scheme, My dad's been a friend of this guy for ever...a local San Diego legend...
Uh...you do know that's a Nova, right? Then again, the Nova has always been "the poor man's Camaro".

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #4375
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Wow, you really lived up to your name with this one!

Quote:
...like asking for 2.5 Challenge bodies to be included before I went back and read the previous 10,000,000 posts in the thread to see this had already been argued and flamed 10,000 times...my bad, but I still want my GT/CS body, lol. I am currently reading the 'back issues' to get up to speed (admittedly only up to page 110 or so thus far...) but have a "quick" question...
Oh so nice to see someone doing the "required reading" for once!

Quote:
I know folks are coming to the consensus that the 17.5/4 motors aren't quite as uber-competetive as the 21.5/lipo combo...but when I look at the $$ involved in 'redeeming' an old TT01R gathering dust on my shelf vs. buying a new TB03 which I can run in TCS GT2 with the same 17.5 BL, I am wondering if a BL 17.5 motor will suffer any damage or 'run in' to a certain level of performance if I want to use the same motor at 4.8v as 7.2 when I switch it back to 7.2v for TCS races...
You are correct in your performance assessment between these two motor/battery combos. How big is the VTA scene where you race? What are others running? Are you out to win or just to have a great time banging doors with others? Yes, we're all out to win whether we say so or not, but the point is that in VTA there's still awesome fun to be had mid-pack or at the back if there are a couple other guys there with you.

I have never heard anything about a motor suffering as a result of running at different voltages. So many people run the same motor in 12th scale and Sedan that it certainly would have come up by now. The market would have been kind enough to offer us "voltage optimized" motors or something.

Quote:
Back in my vintage 1:1 (street) racing days there were two schools of thought as to proper engine (motor) break-in procedures. A: break it in like you are going to run it-if that means 3000rpm clutch side-steps and 1/8mi runs, that's what you do once you have 500mi and a change of oil under your belt. And B: (Reen, you're prolly the only other person here with experience breaking in a solid lifter FE motor to Ford factory specs to back me up) a series of controlled WOT 4th gear grinds from 10-40 (admittedly dangerous with a Q-code 427 and a Borg Warner T-10 in a 2-ton Galaxie... been there, done WHAT WAS THAT? 2ND GEAR AGAIN? lol) for another 500 miles or so...which is to say engine break-in is independent of use, and once broken-in use it however you want...
As someone who (true story) pushed his date to the prom in a '65 Mustang with my first engine build "powering" it I can relate!

Quote:
So, for you guys with hella more electric experience than I, will I be hurting myself if I buy a single 17.5 motor and run it for a couple months at 4.8v and then try to run the same motor at 7.2v, or should I just bite that bitter pill and buy a 17.5 AND a 21.5 and use the same lipo for the two? If I go Lipo (and buy a new charger too) I'm gunna buy one of the Orion Carbon Editions because it's the only one that will fit in the M03 (and FF02, lol) for TCS, but I am wondering if it will end up cheaper/easier to use the same 17.5 motor and just swap batteries, or buy a 17.5motor, a 21.5 motor, and the Lipo / cheap NiCd.
Here's my .02: the shared-use 17.5 route would obviously be less expensive, but that's really the only thing it has going for it.

If the budget allows, I'd suggest going with plan B -- running lipo and getting two motors. First, the consistency, longevity, and ease of use of lipo speaks for itself. Second, the balance of the car will not change between the two options, so once you have it dialed in you can leave it be. Third, you'll be more competitive in USVTA.

Plus, a TB03 will walk all over a TT01.

Quote:
To make a short story long, do BL motors tend to run-in to a certain voltage, or are they flexible enough that battery voltage is irreverent? I do know (as I sadly wear the Orange Apron for a living) that a drill or any other electric motor driven power tool when run on too long/weak extension cord will damage the motor, I am wondering if the same is true for BL motors at reduced voltage... of course the extension cord issue has more to do with amperage than voltage with brushed motors but I digress...

Cheers,
-M
This would be an interesting conversation to get some real motor gurus in on. I have not heard of this low-Amp/voltage motor damage issue and my first reaction was to call BS on it. I like to see evidence and an explanation of such things. That being said, the physics of the brush/comm interaction isn't really 100% understood by anyone so there's some black magic going on there. I'd like to hear more about this. I would bet that the problem, if it exists, occurs at the brushes/comm and thus would not be an issue with a brushless motor.

Whew!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #4376
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HEAR...HEAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER View Post
Here is an Idea !...work the rules to fit your track....If you feel that 4cell/17.5 or 27t is the way to get guys to your track (even though its more exspensive in the long run) and you have a few guys that are running lipo/21.5 then change the FDR rule at your track! This thread is full of senseless arguments about motor/batt combo's,Bodies and motor brands.....The fact is it works the way it is.....The only guys that normally complain about the combo's are 1/12th and Pan guys who are either tryin to dump there old 4cells and 27t junk to noob's or they just want to do somethin with stuff since its pretty useless stuff now...Or they have 1S lipos that they want to run in something else....Can anyone post the positive's of this class...At our track we have seen leaps and bounds in growth we are averaging more racers in VTA than most tracks get at an event last week we were at 21 VTA racers.....Thats typical for us about once a month...We are picking up at least 2-3 new racers a month....We have all motor/Batt combos represented and guess what I havent heard 1 complaint of course its kind of hard to hear over the laughter and good times bieng had.....The most popular quote's at are track: "Thats a Blast" and "That class looks like alot of FUN".....Remember when you raced cause it was just fun.....So please just leave it be....
Thank you Nucrptracer! We in Western Canada are just trying to get this class started in the spring or sooner. We've seen alot of local interest starting up but we've also heard the grumbling starting already. None of our cars are even on the track yet and the rules are being debated??? Complaints of the motor/battery combo's...."why can't i run a viper,or corvette,or 510"? I'm trying to keep an open mind to the questions because everyone does have a right to ask? But when it comes down to it...the rules are in black and white. That was the reason we considered adopting the rules,because all the work was done for us. No need to spend countless hours bickering on forums like this getting heated. I say...get them on the track first,then we'll see the need for change? Flame on!

B6D/B6/B64D/TC7/RC10R5.2
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #4377
Tech Apprentice

Default ...Super Nova vs. Camaro...

yeah, I know it's not a camaro, but the paint is cool and the fireball down the sides would be 'fun' to try to paint, lol.

As for the chatty thing, yeah, the rum & coke had a little bit to do with that...

As I slept on it, the running two cars and swapping bats and motors is prolly the better way to go anyway, that way I only have to do the rough set up on each once, rather than be constantly completely switching all my settings back and forth trying to make one size fit all...those comprimises in the 1:1 world never seem to work well...my eyes are always bigger then my budget, so I'll just have to slow down my expectations of how soon I can get out there and not be in the way. I don't need to be the guy passing everybody, but then again I don't want to be the guy getting passed by EVERYONE either
Sand Scorcher
Old 03-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #4378
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Indeed the scene is growing in Western Canada (In particular the Greater Vancouver district lower mainland) and with all the talk of the new class there are those who have said "It seems too slow" or why can't we run a vette body" etc.
Now as one of the guys up here bringing the class to them and keeping the rules laid out by your founders I have kept firm on them stating that the rules are there right from the beginning, they were not popped in half way through a season or after you decided to buy the equipment to run in the class. It really comes down to this at this stage, if you just heard about the class and decided to run it your probably going to look for the gear to run in it so why would you not look at the rules to see what's allowed and what is illegal.

Now in the spirit of the thread and just cuz I like lookin at it I'll share my new ride (thats still waiting for a 21.5 combo Novak)
Old 03-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #4379
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK I have a body question for Doug or if you are around Doug enough that you feel you can answer then go ahead. I have heard a lot of talk about guys wishing someone would make this shell or that shell. I have heard a lot about the Javelin and some others.

Anyway here's the question. With all of the expense of tooling and CAD involved with making a new shell, how would a manufacturer know what to make if they were to try to support the VTA movement? Im not a producer of shells, but if I was I would have a hard time knowing what to try next. The roster of shells in the current rules is based only on shells that are already being produced. Has anything been added to the roster since the USVTA entered its current form? If not, is it because there have not been anymore new bodies produced that would fit the intentions of the class?

I would assume that anything that actually ran in the Trans Am series from 66 to 72 would be legal if there were a lexan shell of it. Is this the case?
Im not in the RC industry, so I dont know what they are thinking, but thats just my theory on why we havent seen anything else new in a while.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-08-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #4380
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

As for new bodies, the Pegsaus bodies were added after the rules had been established, and on Monday, I will be adding a couple of Bolink bodies after I confirm the part numbers. Keep in mind that the original Trans Am series didn't showcase a ton of different cars, so it's not like there is ever going to be a massive amount of choices. Still, there are at least four times more than if you ran foam or rubber touring cars, or even 1/12th scale.

There are probably a half-dozen new bodies that could be easily done that would be accepted into the rules with little thought, including a true '69 or '70 Boss 302, Dodge Challenger, any of the Javelins, Cougar, Dart and a handful of Camaros or Firebirds. I'm not a manufacturer, so I can't answer the reasons why we haven't seen them. We have seen enough flash in the pan blob rubber tire bodies, though, that it does make me wonder why anyone wouldn't want to produce a body that had a longer lifespan.

doug
Closed Thread