Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer X79
Since we have the attention of Andy from HPI and possibly Dale from Proform, I'll drop some subtle hints...... Maybe if we all pre-order they'll make the molds...... I'll take at least 2 of each....

I'd get a case of these.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Since we have the attention of Andy from HPI and possibly Dale from Proform, I'll drop some subtle hints...... Maybe if we all pre-order they'll make the molds...... I'll take at least 2 of each....

Those pictures made me happy in the pants!

I wish I was alive back then to buy one of those cars brand new. But yeah, VTA is one of my favorite classes. I had a mean Cuda. Then I broke a part on my Pro 4 that cannot be replaced. But now I have a new one: The Robitronic AVID.

Question I have is, why can't we have a 17.5 VTA class? 21.5 seems a bit slow to me.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
Question I have is, why can't we have a 17.5 VTA class? 21.5 seems a bit slow to me.
Oh no - not again

Have you run the 21.5 option?? its anything but slow

try running the class before trying to change things
Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by k_bojar
Oh no - not again

Have you run the 21.5 option?? its anything but slow

try running the class before trying to change things
21.5 option?

Reason I ask is because I also have a 1/10 WCGT car with 13.5 motor, and a TC in the 13.5 Rubber class.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Yay! It was quiet and sane in here for a while.

If 21.5 is too slow then VTA is not for you. Look into RCGT.

EDIT: I see from your sig that you're already into RCGT. There you go.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

We have all seen it even though I cant tell you the guys name, I know that there is a racer around that fashioned for himself a nose piece that makes the HPI Camaro into a very convincing firebird.

I think Nash has a pic up on RC50. I know I saw the car at the Snowbirds.

And you guys are right about Dale and the tooling for undercut bodies. There was an issue with that as well. But there is still an issue with Automotive companies and attourneys not understanding what an RC shell is in the first place. They dont even know that these end up hand painted and for all intents and purposes they are disposable.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Yay! It was quiet and sane in here for a while.

If 21.5 is too slow then VTA is not for you. Look into RCGT.

EDIT: I see from your sig that you're already into RCGT. There you go.
Heh, I apologize. I didn't mean to break the sanity. I did not even know that there was a discussion about this in the first place.

I thought I was making an honest suggestion.

And yes, I love the CRC Gen X 10.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Oh No, not again! The cars are pretty fast once the setup works for you. At the last Trans-Am(2008/09 USVTA Great Lakes Super Series at RCP) that I raced in, I saw a car run a 9.9 second lap(21.5/lipo) in T/A and I think the 13.5 were running in the low to mid 9's. I do not think I would change a thing in T/A.
Dave
Old 02-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Heh, I apologize. I didn't mean to break the sanity. I did not even know that there was a discussion about this in the first place.

I thought I was making an honest suggestion.
Oh, it's only been discussed for the last 4300 or so posts so I can see how you may have missed it.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
We have all seen it even though I cant tell you the guys name, I know that there is a racer around that fashioned for himself a nose piece that makes the HPI Camaro into a very convincing firebird.

I think Nash has a pic up on RC50. I know I saw the car at the Snowbirds.

And you guys are right about Dale and the tooling for undercut bodies. There was an issue with that as well. But there is still an issue with Automotive companies and attourneys not understanding what an RC shell is in the first place. They dont even know that these end up hand painted and for all intents and purposes they are disposable.
You're looking for JonnySocko, unless someone else did the firebird nose. He had it at the 2008 TA Nats with motor sounds! Paint was done up like the pics posted.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by padailey
You're looking for JonnySocko, unless someone else did the firebird nose. He had it at the 2008 TA Nats with motor sounds! Paint was done up like the pics posted.
It was really nice work. I think a conversion piece like that is still the best looking way to get the Camaro to look like the Firebird.

This has nothing to do with VTA but as long as we are begging Dale for Shells.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I love the look of this class and I think the tires must keep it close, I hope this takes off locally.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

That would be a great body for that new HPI chassis that was shown a page or so ago that had the "laydown" front shocks for "swoopier" front end cars. They showed it with the 240Z body.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scottrik
That would be a great body for that new HPI chassis that was shown a page or so ago that had the "laydown" front shocks for "swoopier" front end cars. They showed it with the 240Z body.

Oh yeah!! Im there. Thats an IMSA class isnt it?

As far as the Firebird goes. It would be awesome if HPI included a piece for the nose of their Camaro shell, like the one JonnySocko made for his. Include a Decal sheet as well. Talk a bout a license nightmare. They would have to have a Camaro and Firebird license for every shell they sold. Maybe they could just include the nose and decals in a kit to convert the Camaro.

Inferno- The best way to make the class take off locally is to build a car to the rules, and then go and practice with it on raceday. Leave it sitting out on your pit so the guys can get a good look. And say positive things like,"We will be running them here as soon as everyone gets their cars set up". Its not a lie. Because if you say it, it will happen.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 02-14-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
It was really nice work. I think a conversion piece like that is still the best looking way to get the Camaro to look like the Firebird.

This has nothing to do with VTA but as long as we are begging Dale for Shells.
That looks like a Porsche 930 Slantnose...

If that shell is made by HPI or Protoform, it is going to rule the track. That car was extreme downforce and performance!

I'd prefer to keep VTA with American cars. It looks way better and cooler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.