R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #4216
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So, seems HPI has some new stuff coming out, one in particular is a '67 corvette shell. What do you guys think, is it VTA worthy?

http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=253738

I for one would love to see some of these trading paint with the current selection.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #4217
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jato Fox View Post
So, seems HPI has some new stuff coming out, one in particular is a '67 corvette shell. What do you guys think, is it VTA worthy?

http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=253738

I for one would love to see some of these trading paint with the current selection.
The Vette does look cool, but too bad they don't make a "new" actual Trans Am body like a Firebird or an AMX yet. Remember, the Corvette wasn't a legal car for the original Trans Am series....so it's not legal for USVTA.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #4218
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

That car is awesome looking but it didnt race with TA cars so I dont think it will make it into the USVTA list of approved bodies. I agree it would look cool mixing it up with the other cars out there....I have a 67 bolink sting ray that I have raced with the other VTA cars from time to time it looks cool on the track.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #4219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hopefully the HPI Vintage '67 Corvette isn't the only new Vintage shell they are coming out with. I don't really think it fits into this class.

I wonder how much licensing affects body choices since HPI already has plenty of Ford and GM bodies available. I'd rather see a '69 or '70 Mach I, '70 Camaro, '70 Firebird, or any Javelin before another cool body that we can't race in this class.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #4220
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dodgeboy Send a message via Yahoo to dodgeboy

I all ready have some Ideas for painting one up
Pm or email for info
Old 02-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #4221
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShafer View Post
Pics of my TA body, '68 Camaro shell sitting on my old Xray T1.

I had to dust the car off, before getting into the TA class, this old model sat on the shelf for 2+ years. Now that is what TA is about, pull out the "antique" model & go trade paint !!
Nice looking car...but what HPI model # wheels are they and how did you get them so shiny???
ProMatch
Parma
Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #4222
Tech Regular

Quote:
That is sweeeet! If it's not VTA legal I'll race it in RCGT, that's a must have body.

I'm so stoked to see the cool bodies HPI is putting out. They are bringing realism back to RC which I love. To me I get excited with a body like that where as a Mazda 6 / Skoda / blob just feels like a lid.

I just can't decide if I'd put it on my JRX or my NTC3.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #4223
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X79 View Post
Remember, the Corvette wasn't a legal car for the original Trans Am series....so it's not legal for USVTA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
That car is awesome looking but it didnt race with TA cars so I dont think it will make it into the USVTA list of approved bodies. I agree it would look cool mixing it up with the other cars out there
Quote:
What do you guys think, is it VTA worthy?
While I wouldn't be excited (nor do I expect) to see the Corvette allowed for VTA, it is worthwhile to note that the '65-6 Mustang / Shelby GT350 as we've been using from HPI was not a Trans-Am legal car either. Nor was the '67-8 fastback. This was a follow-on to the fact that Ford/Shelby had homologated the fastback as a GT car which means it was actually classified as a 2-seat car so that it could participate in sports car racing. This was advantageous because racing sedans (tin-tops to the Brits) was not yet popular in the US. When the Trans Am was announced Ford had to choose another weapon, in this case the less-sporty Mustang notchback had to do. All 1964-8 Mustangs raced in the Trans-Am had to be notchbacks. Only for 1969 and later did we see the fastback re-purposed as a 4-seater (as far as international sanctioning recognition) and allowed into the Trans Am.

All that said, I wonder what sort of racing class could be created around bodies like this sharp looking Corvette and the GT350. Maybe those could come in as the 4-cell 27T / 17.5 class when those spec's get jettisoned by VTA. I can see epic B-Production battles now... didn't (doesn't?) somebody do a Cobra body at one time? And there may well be others.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)

Last edited by Scottrik; 02-05-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #4224
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
All that said, I wonder what sort of racing class could be created around bodies like this sharp looking Corvette and the GT350.
I think they fit nicely into RCGT. That's the great thing about that class, anything that is realistic works, you don't have to worry about what was legal in "other forms of racing".

I honestly think if VTA restricts the bodies too much it will reduce interest in the class. Adding other period race car bodies to the class would be cool IMO. My only restriction would be they need to be period production based race cars from 1964 to 1972 and no wings.
F109 Tekin 21.5
Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #4225
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I honestly think if VTA restricts the bodies too much it will reduce interest in the class.
I dunno...from the looks of things it's been growing quite nicely with the strictly limited bodies. I agree interest might expand if/when other bodies become available, but I don't anticipate any decline based solely on restricted choices (so far).

I guess I don't know much about RCGT. I'll have to have a look.

OH...I saw my first "new" Challenger(s) in the flesh today. Pretty cool...Scottrik wants! Make mine a Sub-Lime 6-speed please.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #4226
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
I think they fit nicely into RCGT. That's the great thing about that class, anything that is realistic works, you don't have to worry about what was legal in "other forms of racing".

I honestly think if VTA restricts the bodies too much it will reduce interest in the class. Adding other period race car bodies to the class would be cool IMO. My only restriction would be they need to be period production based race cars from 1964 to 1972 and no wings.
Well, Dan, you're in luck since we run both vintage and RCGT at Camarillo. I'd never say it here, but we allow more vintage bodies -- basically exactly as you defined it above. I can tell you that my next body will be this 'vette in proper full racing livery.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #4227
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
There's an old saying I've always liked to use on occasions like this:

Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, they come out with a better idiot.
Great saying. I hope you don't mind if I use this qoute in my sig reenmachine.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #4228
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
I guess I don't know much about RCGT. I'll have to have a look.
It's a class that HPI kinda started.

Here's the rules from their website.

RCGT Challenge
The concept of this class is to have a realistic/scale race class that looks like it's full scale GT/Touring Car counterpart.
-HPI Sport/Pro 2/3/4, E10, Sprint, Sprint 2; HB Cyclone chassis.
-HPI realistic bodies only (no Stratus, Mazda 6 race bodies).
-HPI 26mm spoked wheels (no dish wheels)
-HPI #4790 D-Compound X-Pattern Radial Tires
-Kit Lexan wing (cut to stock cut line) or HPI plastic wing set only.
-27 turn motor limit (brushless allowed, 17.5 min. per ROAR rules).
-Chassis option parts allowed.

Most of the race organizers around here have opened it up to pretty much any 4WD electric chassis.

Here's the rules as stated for my local club.

No purpose-made touring car bodies (e.g. Mazda 6) -- realistic bodies only!

Chassis: any 1/10 scale AWD touring car

Motor: 27T brushed or 17.5 brushless

Battery: 6-cell or 7.4V lipo

Body: any 190mm or 200mm realistic body w/kit lexan or any plastic wing (no oversized racing wings)

Wheels: Realistic, spoked 26mm 0mm-10mm offset (no dish wheels)

Tires: HPI X-Pattern

Minimum Weight: 1475g
F109 Tekin 21.5
Old 02-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #4229
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

Funny thing, the limitation on bodies with VTA is saving me a boat load of cash.

Every time I even consider RCGT I can't pick a favorite body to run and would just spend way too much on several of my favorites.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #4230
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default Know what ya mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Funny thing, the limitation on bodies with VTA is saving me a boat load of cash.

Every time I even consider RCGT I can't pick a favorite body to run and would just spend way too much on several of my favorites.
A big plus 1 on that.

Old Guys Rule!

Bumper tag anyone?
Closed Thread