R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #3781
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

On the TC3, there is no need to run the 200mm arm. The HPI Vintage Tire/Wheel combo in the rear is wide enough on a TC3 to fill out the body using the 190mm arms. In fact, you'd probably have issues with tire rub on some Vintage bodies (HPI Mustang) if you were running 200mm arms and the 31mm rear tires.

Quote:
Chassis Specification:
Four Wheel Drive touring car chassis only. Any era or brand 4wd chassis is allowed.
The rules don't state what width of chassis is legal. I'll leave the answer of the legality of wider arms up to ApexSpeed. I do know that some of the newer chassis have adjustable wheelbase, so I'm not sure that this would be an issue on a TC3. However, I'm running a TC3 in VTA and doing fine without a wider rear setup.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #3782
Tech Elite

Any other tracks or racers see the HPI turnkey TA RTR Sprint 2 Flux show up at their tracks? I ask because the first one I've seen showed up yesterday. The guy who owns it is pretty new to racing. For our club races I plan on just letting him race it as is for now so the guy doesn't have to spend anymore cash for right now.

I'm asking the above to see if anyone has used the stock BL ESC in the Sprint Flux with a Novak 21.5?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #3783
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks Indy,

Yea, I figured out pretty quick it doesn't "need" the wide rear arms. It's a good thing I had the Camaro body or it wouldn't have worked at all. I'm just curious in case I have to throw them back on sometime. I've read that some of the tracks and racers are really serious about the rules and I just want to comply. I caught enough grief for using the high end electronics.

Love the TC3...With a little work to the gears and bearings it rolls soooo free compared to the belt cars. And since I'm new (clueless ) to the touring cars it keeps me from screwing it up too bad with the KISS theory.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #3784
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

Mark, I am glad to see you are still planning to run your car. I was hoping the brutality wasnt too much for you Sat night. I had a great time, the drivers will get better and it will be better racing when the track layout SLOWS down. Jtec is having a New Years Day race if you are interested. I think Ralph and I may go there. I wouldnt worry about your electronics, the cream always rises to the top.

Later Adam Kasch
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #3785
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Kenji you can try a 21.5 with that ESC but i'm pretty sure it will have a hard time starting the motor from a dead stop. Most sensorless escs don't like high turn motors.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #3786
Tech Master

We had an HPI Sprint 2 Flux show up on Friday. The racer had purchased a Novak 21.5 and ran the Flux speed control without connecting the 21.5 sensor wire. Since he was a new racer, this was probably the simplest (or cheapest) option for him. His car didn't seem to be any faster/slower than any of the other cars at our track. Not sure how well the the Novak 21.5 would work this way, but at least the racer was able to experience how much fun this class is.

The nice thing about the Sprint 2 is durability. The new racer hit his fair share of boards, but I think all he did was pop off a ball cap.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #3787
Tech Elite

Thanks Rob and Brian. Now that I know a 21.5 can be installed we'll experiment this coming Sunday with the new guy's car and a borrowed motor.

I'll report back what I find.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #3788
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
Ian,

Here is a good starting point for you tc3

I attached a pdf with a baseline, should be a great starting point for your tc3

On another note, i saw in another thread, that novak is coming out with a 21.5 havok speedo combo with a great price point. It will be a nice setup for anyone wanting to go lipo / brushless
For the AE threaded shocks, are you using the stock internal parts ? or the new VCS2 upgrade kit internal parts ???

Thanks !
Jeff.

"I've got 4 on the floor and a fifth under the seat"
Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #3789
Tech Master

I heard back from the racer in Indy who was using the Flux with a Novak 21.5 Here is his response. I wonder if Kenji will seem similar results.

Quote:
I wouldnt say cogging since it didnt stutter constantly... but it did have major stalling from dead stops
Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #3790
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The flux (a castle creations sidewinder) will not work smoothly with a 21.5. It will have trouble getting off the line as mentioned. After its rolling it will be fine. Also, if the person knows what theyre doing, the motor that comes with the flux (a 4600 or 5700kv BL, can tremember which) will blow the doors off any USVTA powerplant, so those who come across people with them may want to point this out. The sidewinder can be programmed to run a brushed motor, however.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #3791
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

First a disclaimer: this question is not about VTA!

Has anyone used the slick D-compound versions of the Vintage tire for anything? We're thinking of using them as a spec tire for a NASTRUCK oval class, mostly because with the stock car wheels they'll look 100% awesome and realistic, but of course we need decent performance as well. It'll be a TC-based 21.5 class so nothing outrageously fast.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #3792
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
I heard back from the racer in Indy who was using the Flux with a Novak 21.5 Here is his response. I wonder if Kenji will seem similar results.
I had been wondering how that car would work if you just dropped in a 21.5.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #3793
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
The flux (a castle creations sidewinder) will not work smoothly with a 21.5. It will have trouble getting off the line as mentioned. After its rolling it will be fine.
So it's just from a dead stop problem? Meaning it's fine on the infield of a track?

If you ran it personally, did you also try taking off the sensor wire?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #3794
Tech Apprentice

So what is everyone running as far as setup (springs, oil, etc) I just purchased a car from a local and its real squirrely and help will be greatly appreciated. I will be running on carpet
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #3795
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Anders View Post
So what is everyone running as far as setup (springs, oil, etc) I just purchased a car from a local and its real squirrely and help will be greatly appreciated. I will be running on carpet
Really depends on the car, but I would start with your cars standard asphalt setup and go from there.
Closed Thread