Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #3556
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Correct, it's not prohibited in the rules, per se, but if I saw someone using tire warmers on a Trans Am car in the pits, I'd smack them in the back of the head and tell them to stop it.

Completely against the spirit of vintage Trans Am racing. Plenty of other classes to screw around with that stuff in—keep it away from your Trans Am car, though.
I think the key here is the spirit of the racing. Its supposed to be less technical than other forms of racing. You really shouldnt neeed warmers in this class. Although I guess they probably do improve the performance, just a little. But its against some of the things we are all supposed to love about VTA. Its not supposed to be Muscle Car Touring. We have already had that discussion.

I really did enjoy Dougs response. I guess its the visualization of the smack on the back of the head that was such a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
Smack them in the back of the head... surprised of that kind of answer from you. I'll let you know when I get a set!

i agree it's against the spirit of vta but it aint in the official rules..(hurry go update them)..but I don't race spirits. Are heat guns not in spirit either? If you want to take the spirit to the extreme band all tire sauces, while you'r at it make spec motor, batteries etc. Tires are the biggest difference I've seen in TA..either you got the right sauce/formula for sticky tires and speed or you don't. that is a bigger worry/difference IMO than if someone has warmers...warmers on hard tires aint going to do chit.

sorry I asked.
I dont think its anything against you personally. Its just at the edge of being to serious for this class.
What are you doing with a heat gun?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #3557
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I'll wager you won't last long in VTA anyway. It'll be too slow and too boring for you.
slow and boring, no. tried of 2nd, yes. though I do enjoy tc more as the competition is much closer/similar times at our track than TA.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)

Last edited by speedsterblade; 12-09-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typeo
Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #3558
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
What are you doing with a heat gun?
Drying/helping the sauce soak in and heating the tires. Been doing since my first rubber tire race. No other racer or race director has said chit...ta or tc.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
Old 12-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #3559
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Correct, it's not prohibited in the rules, per se, but if I saw someone using tire warmers on a Trans Am car in the pits, I'd smack them in the back of the head and tell them to stop it. Completely against the spirit of vintage Trans Am racing. Plenty of other classes to screw around with that stuff in—keep it away from your Trans Am car, though.
I watched someone wrap a little heat blanket around their VTA car to warm the lipo that was already in the car. After staring at him with the "What the hell are you doing, jackass?" look, he gave in and put the cheater blanket away. It was funniest at the end of the night when I got a lucky break during the main and snaked the win from him! If only he left the blanket on. hehe
Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #3560
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs down

Quote:
i agree it's against the spirit of vta but it aint in the official rules..(hurry go update them)..but I don't race spirits. Are heat guns not in spirit either? If you want to take the spirit to the extreme band (sic) all tire sauces, while you'r (suic) at it make spec motor, batteries etc. Tires are the biggest difference I've seen in TA..either you (sic) got the right sauce/formula for sticky tires and speed or you don't. that is a bigger worry/difference IMO than if someone has warmers...warmers on hard tires aint going to do chit.
So then why did you ask?

If you have to ask a question like that, you OBVIOUSLY don't get the point of VTA. Like I said before, if heat guns, tire warmers, motor dynos, lipo warmers and ceramic bearings are your thing, then there are plenty of other classes you can get your rocks off in.

If you feel the need for tire warmers in VTA, find another class.

Last edited by squarehead; 12-09-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #3561
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=ApexSpeed;5147344]
Quote:
i agree it's against the spirit of vta but it aint in the official rules..(hurry go update them)..but I don't race spirits. Are heat guns not in spirit either? If you want to take the spirit to the extreme band (sic) all tire sauces, while you'r (suic) at it make spec motor, batteries etc. Tires are the biggest difference I've seen in TA..either you (sic) got the right sauce/formula for sticky tires and speed or you don't. that is a bigger worry/difference IMO than if someone has warmers...warmers on hard tires aint going to do chit./quote]

So then why did you ask?

If you have to ask a question like that, you OBVIOUSLY don't get the point of VTA. Like I said before, if heat guns, tire warmers, motor dynos, lipo warmers and ceramic bearings are your thing, then there are plenty of other classes you can get your rocks off in.

If you feel the need for tire warmers in VTA, find another class.
Sorry, I understand the point. I'm just trying to get some edge over the competition. ..what can I do when I see the #1 guy pullin me down the long straight when I know I'm just as fast or faster in the corners...
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com

Last edited by speedsterblade; 12-09-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #3562
Tech Addict

You all are just too sensitive
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #3563
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Less maintenance, yes - but they're still batteries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Murray View Post
Great info....did you do all this on one charge, or did you have to peak at any point.....sorry, I got some "technology" catching up to do....LOL
I'd recommend peaking the battery between rounds, especially if your speed control doesn't have a low voltage cutoff setting. Keep breakage to a minimum, and you'll achieve your goal of doing nothing between rounds. I just made the switch to a BL/LiPo setup, and I look forward to "harassing" my fellow racers in the pits with all of the extra time I'll have.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #3564
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default VTA

This class is for the folks that want to have fun and drive cool lookin cars. A Lot of the folks that run this class are people that are tired of of having to have the best of this or that or the newest this or that.We want it to be fun, easy and not take up to much of our time. We want to have some fun running the cars and and do a little bench racing that's all. If you wish to be the best and get all of the edge over your competition, then go race someplace else. But please don,t come on this thread and try to tell us we are wrong. WE ARE HAVING FUN! If you want to make all the rules then start your own gig. This class is what it is and I hope it always stays the way it is. By the way, this class is one of the fastest growing classes in RC racing today. Can't be doing to much wrong Huh?

Old Guys Rule!

Bumper tag anyone?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #3565
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

VTA is like a breath of fresh air in R/C car racing. I like the no-stress and no one has a distict advantage. I've been doing this for a LONG time and this same can be said of all "spec" classes. Fun enough for the seasoned racer and affordable and fun for the beginner. But like with every class of racing, competition is real and some guys will look for any advantage they can. My point is, if you take away ANY options the racing will be very close and everyone will be the same. Unfortunately, this is what killed the Trinity "T-Spec" class
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #3566
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
i agree it's against the spirit of vta but it aint in the official rules..(hurry go update them)..but I don't race spirits
Because you asked... it IS in the rules:

MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #3567
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I watched someone wrap a little heat blanket around their VTA car to warm the lipo that was already in the car. After staring at him with the "What the hell are you doing, jackass?" look, he gave in and put the cheater blanket away. It was funniest at the end of the night when I got a lucky break during the main and snaked the win from him! If only he left the blanket on. hehe
Haha funny!
Trinity,EPIC,Oddy Racing,IRS,Sweep racing,Brown Engineering,Mugen USA,Team Xray,RC America,R.I.P. motorsports,Tekin,Customworks,Parma PSE,Ashford Hobbies,D&K Hobbies, TQ-wire,Local 69 Woodputters Union,Big Ant get well soon!!Quinn my BFF!
Dee Lee is a nut and I don't condone what he will say next!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #3568
Tech Master

When are you guys changing the 21.5 novak motor rule? Lol
Trinity,EPIC,Oddy Racing,IRS,Sweep racing,Brown Engineering,Mugen USA,Team Xray,RC America,R.I.P. motorsports,Tekin,Customworks,Parma PSE,Ashford Hobbies,D&K Hobbies, TQ-wire,Local 69 Woodputters Union,Big Ant get well soon!!Quinn my BFF!
Dee Lee is a nut and I don't condone what he will say next!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #3569
Tech Master

Can't wait to see the 'hot rods' run at the 'hot rod' hotel!!

The 2009 Snowbird Nationals

http://www.snowbirdnationals.com/ClassPressRelease
http://www.snowbirdnationals.com
Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #3570
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Because you asked... it IS in the rules:

MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal.
Before everybody jumps up my ass, keep in mind that NO ONE is more "one" with the spirit, etc, than I am.

Catch-all rules like this work for mods to to cars and equipment/parts on spec cars, but they don't work well for equipment. Battery chargers aren't mentioned in the VTA rules. Nor are hex wrenches, screwdrivers, or radio transmitters. If the "spirit" of VTA is met by me using a bare-bones charger does that mean my GFX's (and I do use 2 at the track to keep up with my charging) are outside the spirit because they potentially confer an advantage? How about my M11 radio? The job could certainly be done without anywhere NEAR the bells and whistles on it, any of which I use are intended to enhance my on-track performance. The list goes on and on.

End result, you can't regulate "spirit"...what is "spirit" to me is needless micro-management to another racer. If we're going to ban certain classes of pit equipment it needs to be done explicitly OR we need to accept that some will use them. The problem, then, with banning those certain classes of pit equipment becomes deciding at which point you stop. A case can be made that ANY high-end equipment confers an advantage of some sort or we wouldn't have paid the premium price that such premium equipment commands. It's easy to say "well, I already had it because I race a such-and-such". Guess what...I already had tire warmers because I used to race a TaxiCab. I don't agree with the use of tire warmers in VTA, but I'm not going to say "can't do it".

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)

Last edited by Scottrik; 12-10-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Closed Thread