Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #3436
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
No, I wasn't kidding.

I know how to setup a LeMans grid, but does everyone at your local track? We have enough cars lately for a A/B/C main which means our turn marshals are from another class. I find we spend too much time explaining to the marshals (and new racers) how to line up our cars properly because they always want to put the cars on top of each other, which can lead to messy starts. Depending where you are starting on the grid this becomes more of an issue.

I realize this may seem like a minor detail, but why ruin a great day of racing because the 1st lap turned into a demo derby. Just wanting to see what other people have experienced and looking for some input. I know of at least 2 different VTA point series going on right now and it would be nice to see some uniformity in how heats/mains are lined up.

I'll end by saying that a rule isn't necessary, but at least a general guideline that has proven to work would be nice. I will add that a brief description of how to run a rolling start would be nice too (yes I know what a rolling start is). Every time we have used a rolling start locally it creates confusion for at least someone. I do think how races are run should be up to local tracks, but examples and guidelines for VTA will help all tracks create the same great atmosphere that I've seen at the tracks I've had a chance to race at.
Why not Mark the wall with numbers and at the right amount of spacing. That way all you hav to say is put the cars centered on the numbers at a 45.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #3437
Tech Elite

Quote:
I will add that a brief description of how to run a rolling start would be nice too (yes I know what a rolling start is). Every time we have used a rolling start locally it creates confusion for at least someone.
I've never raced with a rolling start. I'd like to try one. I'm assuming as the race director I'd do this:

Have an order of cars.

Line them up one ahead of each other on the straight.

Tell all racers to move at a slow speed.

Cars keep the same order as they move around the track at slow speed. Like a conga line.

As the cars go fully around the track and enter the beginning of straight, set the race to begin....

Am I close to what should happen?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #3438
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
I've never raced with a rolling start. I'd like to try one. I'm assuming as the race director I'd do this:

Have an order of cars.

Cars keep the same order as they move around the track at slow speed. Like a conga line.

As the cars go fully around the track and enter the beginning of straight, set the race to begin....

I tried doing this in oval a long time ago. It was fun, but it's hard to keep everyone slow.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #3439
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Our Bolink Legend class did rolling starts. The TQ guy would be the leader or "pace car" and cars lined up in 2 rows behind him. We ran oval, so we started 2 turns before the start/finish. On the tone, the leader would "set the pace" how ever slow/fast he wanted to go until he crossed the start/finish then it was basically a "green flag". You had to stay in formation until you crossed the start/finish.

Want to convert your Bolink Legend to mount a standard 1/10 scale body? PM me for details.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #3440
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post

Have an order of cars.

You hit the nail on the head. Skill level becomes an issue though.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #3441
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you race at a facility that has a permanent straight or fixed layout, then marking the walls for a LeMans start is a great idea!!

Unfortunately our layout changes weekly and the main straight may be on either side of our track. I blame the 1/12 scale racers for that .
Old 11-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #3442
Tech Elite

We ran the VTA cars on the CARPET OVAL at our SWTour Series Finale as an exhibition class.

We lined up the main 5 wide

I thought we were going to have a few more cars, but my own 2 didn't get to make the trip, as I knew I'd have too much going on being our Final Points race...

We did have 3 Brand New VTA cars come out and play...and they want to do both On-Road and OVAL with the same car and same setup...it was a kick to watch them laughing and having a good time...
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
Old 11-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #3443
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
If you race at a facility that has a permanent straight or fixed layout, then marking the walls for a LeMans start is a great idea!!

Unfortunately our layout changes weekly and the main straight may be on either side of our track. I blame the 1/12 scale racers for that .

Use cloth athletic tape to make stripes. You can pull them up to change the layout.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 11-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #3444
Tech Master

If the tape is in the driving line, will it come up or affect traction?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #3445
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

We are thinking about trying some rolling starts but are people doing single file or side by side. We do some yellow flags in our mini class and even getting around the track single file sometimes gets real messy!

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #3446
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Use cloth athletic tape to make stripes. You can pull them up to change the layout.
It will be fine for traction. I'd watch it possibly coming up more than anything.
Actually duct tape would work too, as a lot of temporary tracks use it to hold the seams together.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #3447
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Is it possible to have a guideline created for LeMans starts, specifically the distance between cars and the angle they are set at?

The reason I ask this question is that I've been to multiple tracks and no 2 turn marshals or tracks line up the cars the same. When there is too small of a gap between cars the first lap ends up being a mess. It would also be nice to have a recommended angle to setup the cars.

I was thinking someone could come up with a template that could placed on the track between cars to help quickly setup the start of a race.
We had the same issue here as well.( not being consistent in grid set up amongst racers) I just measured out 4' (left front fender area) from each starting spot "x" inches from wall at approx a 45 deg angle. Sprayed a small box on the carpet, seems to work, but I may be wrong.

Granted, I have pretty much a standard back straight and probably should go to 5' inbetween
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #3448
Tech Elite

For a Lemans TA start you put 4 feet inbetween the cars?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #3449
Tech Champion

Works great!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #3450
Tech Elite

I'll give it a whirl on Sunday.
Closed Thread