Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #3346
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

nevermind
Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #3347
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'd buy any Protoform VTA body- make doesn't matter (though something different would be nice...cougar...cougar...cougar)
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #3348
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some of the things said here sound a lot like some of the stuff that was said over on the Slash thread. People where asking to change this and that.

What some people don't seem to understand is that the spec formula works, spec is just that a spec, you don't change what you can't change. There is a saying in SCCA IT racing IIDSYCYC....If it doesn't say you can you can't. You can look at the two biggest spec classes (or classes period) to prove just that, VTA for on road and Slash for off road.

I just bought a RTR Losi touring car for less then $90 radio, motors, speedo, batts, everything. The only thing I need to do is convert the 6 cell packs to 4 cell packs. I will end up with qty 5 VTA 4 cell packs.

If you want to go faster use different motors, battery combos or whatever, no one is telling you cant race, just that you can't race in VTA.

If the folks that founded this class will stick to their guns and go over the extensive testing process (expecially for new powertrain optons) I think this class will be around for a long time to come....I just wish they would let my old RC10DS play
Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #3349
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
Vintage Trans Am Enthusiasts;

I know this post is probably a bit "off-topic" - so please forgive me for that. I simply want to get your opinions on something. It may be a topic that's already been addressed ? - I simply don't know.

Before I get into it I just want to say that I think the whole Vintage TransAm trend in RC has been very cool indeed. It may not appear so (because of the products I design), but I really do like the realism and attention to detail that you guys have made an integral part of your classes.
Keep it up guys!

OK - last night I watched the live SPEED TV show where they unveiled the 2010 Mustang. It was pretty darn nice. So - that means that in just a very few months there will be 3 all new pony cars, the Camaro, the Challenger and the Mustang.
QUESTION: do you think there would be a place in the RC landscape to race these body styles? Maybe even an all new class in your series for retro looking 2009/2010 ponycars - ya know, done up just like the Trans Am car of the early 70's?
Please understand that I would not want to do anything to hurt or dilute the movement you've got going with "Vintage" looking cars. But - it just seems waste to have these awsome looking new body styles and not figure out a way of racing them somehow. Know what I mean? I'm talking about "realistic looking" 2009/2010 ponycars that have the "spirit" and look of the the 70's T/A racers. I've been thinking about this for about 6 months months already - then I went to the SEMA show in Vegas - and wow - there in the GM display was a Mark Donahue lookalike Sunoco Camaro - but it was the all new 2009 version. It blew my mind. Just EXACTLY what I'd been dreaming about!

I just wanted to get your opinions. Good idea? Or do you think it would somehow affect the "Vintage T/A" movement in a negative way? I'd never want to do anything to put a damper on what you guys have got going on. It's just too cool.

Thanks for your consideration and opinions.

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
Dale - in a word "no"...There is no place in this class for the "modern" remakes of the classic cars...Like DJ mentioned, those new cameros, mustangs, challenger belong in the RC-GT class - and I'm betting those guys would be drooling to get their hands on one of your "remakes" of those classics..

If you wanted to make a 70's Javelin, 67ish Cougar, then "yes" it will be gladly accepted in this class...but the new remakes have no place in this class...

--------
Doug - on a different note, how is ROAR going to handle the bodies rules? or will this mean at Nationals/regionals the newer muscle car bodies are going to be allowed?? If so, then that would just be BS - you and everyone else spent a ton of time and effort in designing this class only to have integrity of it trashed by "uneducated" race directors or the local/national primadonna's that would come these level events...

I, originally, thought it was cool that ROAR recognized this class...but the more I think about it and see the support from the drivers to keep the class under control, I think allowing ROAR to use this class is just a plain bad idea...

but that's my opinion...Besides, it will lead to another "national champion" that don't mean anything
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #3350
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

ROAR is using the USVTA rules without naming manufacturers. The dimensions are to prevent "slamming" of bodies below cut lines. They are relying on our rules and judgment for the guidance of their class completely. I guarantee that 99% of T/A racers won't ever experience a ROAR-sanctioned T/A race.

Please, guys, don't overthink this. It has very little effect on your class as you know it.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #3351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This whole USVTA/ROAR issue reminds me of a joke the Macintosh folks had back in the '80's...

Q: What would you get if IBM merged with Apple?
A: IBM

Seriously tho... if VTA racing at the local level keeps to USVTA rules I don't see a problem... If I were to actually consider attending a ROAR national and racing the VTA class, I'd consider the cost of whichever 21.5 would be the most competitive for that one event to be a tiny part of the cost of attending a nationals... Not like it's likely to happen... the last nationals I attended was back in '95, and I don't see myself trying to compete at that level anymore.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #3352
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Slow down, guys. Take a deep breath.

ROAR inclusion of the VTA rules in their package only means that it will be available to National and Regional ROAR events. ROAR doesn't dictate to most clubs or tracks—the rules are organized "suggestions" so that everyone can be on the same page—which is what the USVTA rules are.

Here's how it will work:
  • ROAR Nationals and Regionals are 21.5/LiPo only, with an open 21.5 ROAR-spec rule.
  • USVTA-affiliated tracks and clubs will likely continue to use the UVSTA rules package, and not mess with success.
ROAR cannot say, "must run Novak motors and HPI tires & wheels" but we can, because, well... I can do whatever I want and not worry about offending any one company. What they will do is suggest the outline of the rules for clubs follow our pattern, so that whenever a rule is changed or altered on the USVTA side, they are changed with ROAR as well. It's a pretty great symbiotic relationship, actually. We get more growth and exposure, and they get a National class that will draw big numbers and lots of spectator interest.

No panic needed. USVTA will not be adopting an open motor policy anytime soon. Before we EVER allow other 21.5s next year, there will be extenisve testing with each motor in various cars at various tracks with various drivers to make sure there is no competitive advantage. I want the cars no faster than they already are.

And for anyone who is using the results sheets to see that the "fast guys" are winning with the most current equipment, that's a flawed arguement. When was the last time you saw any fast guy using old junk in any class? But I guarantee you, if I built a low-buck plastic tub car with off the shelf electronics, and gave it to Brad Johnson, Eli Ezrow or any of the "fast guys" in the country now picking up Trans Am cars, they'd kick your ass every way 'til Saturday with it.

You don't need current, top shelf equipment, but when other TC classes are dying off left and right, there are a LOT of good cars just waiting to be Trans Am-ified.
I love this guy! When can we run the other 21.5's in this class
Trinity,EPIC,Oddy Racing,IRS,Sweep racing,Brown Engineering,Mugen USA,Team Xray,RC America,R.I.P. motorsports,Tekin,Customworks,Parma PSE,Ashford Hobbies,D&K Hobbies, TQ-wire,Local 69 Woodputters Union,Big Ant get well soon!!Quinn my BFF!
Dee Lee is a nut and I don't condone what he will say next!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #3353
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1 View Post
Wait until 2009, then ask your race director.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #3354
Tech Addict

To Doug, Marty and all the guys who shared your views and opinions regarding my questions: THANKYOU! I hear you loud and clear.

This tread has like 113 pages now - and I confess I really haven't read to many of them - so I've been pretty much out of the loop. What I'm seeing and hearing from all you guys is summed up in one word: Passion.

I think its awsome that you all are so passionate about this VTA class and movement. In a way..... I can relate. The stuff I'm into - well - I'm really into it.
I'll be taking all your comments to heart, I can assure you that. I'll keep you posted if anything developes at my end.

Thanks again! - Dale - Protoform

BTW - while at the SEMA show I spent approx a half hour talking to Parnelli Jones - one of my all time hero drivers. He won the 1970 Trans-Am championship with a Bud Moore Ford Mustang (pictured), beating Mark Donohue and Penske Racing by a single point, back when TransAm was one of the USA’s top racing series, brimming with manufacturer-backed teams. Parnelli's just a total racing stud!
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-parnellijones.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-parnelli-jones-2.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-parnelli%252098best.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-jonesturbine.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-jonesturbine-car.jpg  

Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #3355
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
BTW - while at the SEMA show I spent approx a half hour talking to Parnelli Jones - one of my all time hero drivers. He won the 1970 Trans-Am championship with a Bud Moore Ford Mustang (pictured), beating Mark Donohue and Penske Racing by a single point, back when TransAm was one of the USA’s top racing series, brimming with manufacturer-backed teams. Parnelli's just a total racing stud!
Dale -- what a great opportunity to BS with PJ. The one year I skip SEMA...

Just today, elsewhere on rctech, I had to set someone straight on the origin of the quote, "If you're under control, you're not going fast enough!"

That first pic, PJ's Bud Moore '70 BOSS 302, should be pinned to the wall above your workbench. It is your mission!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #3356
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dale
If you do make a VTA shell, you have to remember to make it as close to scale as possible. Im no expert in body design, but I do know that its hard to make all these differrent body shapes look good on the same wheelbase and track. And then theres the inherent desire to shape the car to improve handling. Youre gonna have to leave that out. A Javelin goes through the air like a brick and thats just how it is. \\ Cheers.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #3357
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
RCGT, I think, is the reason it'll be difficult to get USVTA going out here in socal, but I will persevere! It's where many racers are going for their "fun" second class.

Please reconsider! In my opinion, USVTA will not be complete until there is a '70 Mustang Boss 302 with realism on par with the HPI offerings. If you make one I pledge to run it exclusively for the rest of my USVTA career. That is, unless a '67 Mustang notch comes out.
YESSS!!! Please Dale, I'm DYING for a GOOD looking '69/70 Mustang fastback, like the Boss 302...the only ones I've seen thus far are FUGLY, & you're about the only one I'd trust to do them justice......

Go Pokes!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #3358
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
YESSS!!! Please Dale, I'm DYING for a GOOD looking '69/70 Mustang fastback, like the Boss 302...the only ones I've seen thus far are FUGLY, & you're about the only one I'd trust to do them justice......
I think the other companies are doing great job with V-TA shells...BUT, if Protoform joined in the V-TA body shell game, it would be a great plus for V-TA...All the other bodies are great, but who wouldn't love to see PF come into the picture. More than likely would be the most popular company challenging that of HPI...J.M.O
Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 AM   #3359
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Horton1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Wait until 2009, then ask your race director.
that's in the later part of 2009 Not Jan 1

Doug mentioned that nothing will change for the indoor season - and even then it may not be until [b]next[/i] indoor season...

------

Shawn/Dawn - I just hope when you are printing these rules for '09, you make it VERY clear what is acceptable about this class (ie, following what already works) for local races, and what is mandated for regional/nationals...I think it is absolutely bogus that you are forcing the 21.5/lipo rules for these level events...

Doug - so who is going to be doing the tech'ing of any USVTA class at a ROAR event?? Someone with a knowledge of that the "spirit of USVTA" is or some "yahoo" who don't like this class, think its a load of crap, and don't understand the point of it (and we all know there are plenty of people out there like this) and ultimately don't care is someone comes in with a rear spoiler that's larger than what is allowed or comes in with a newer mustang body?

I'm asking all this because there are the 2009 Nationals coming near me and if they allow this class to run - I can see it becoming a mockery or what the "spirit of the usvta" is....
Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #3360
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dale put it well. There is passion here. Its the bodies, the hard driving and close competition. Batteries and motors we can argue about until we're blue in the face. I'd love to see more bodies and hope it happens. Personally, ROAR has stuck their foot in our ring, so, I'm sticking to Marty's dream and Doug's rules. When I race these cars, I'm a 6 year old kid watching Parnelli Jones drive a hot looking car to a win on Saturday's ABCs Wide World of Sports. I'm teenager in the 80s wishing I could own one and drive on a real road course. I'm a 40 something reliving my wonder years. I'm sorry, when I drive, I see real cars with my childhood heroes behind the wheel. I have quite an imagination and this class has helped to fuel, spark and ignite it once again. Tuesday night, 8 PM, I'm on the track alone, transmitter in hand, fresh built TC3 on the track I'm not wondering what the car can do. I'm wondering how Jones and Fulmer would take that corner.