R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #2956
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

VTA Racers..

I have the Newest 21.5 based DUO based motors in stock. These motors are great for VTA racing and any other 21.5 type class of racing. These are great for that racer looking for a top running motor. Timing ajustable,Vented for lower temps and great clean windings. If you are looking for a nice motor at a great price have your local hobby shop contact me or you may do so at [email protected] .

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #2957
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
on the oval a 21.5 lipo will beat a 13.5 4cell easy.
Did you mean 17.5 4 cell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
If you are looking for a nice motor at a great price have your local hobby shop contact me or you may do so at [email protected] .

If they become legal then I would love to run them.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #2958
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
VTA Racers..

I have the Newest 21.5 based DUO based motors in stock. These motors are great for VTA racing and any other 21.5 type class of racing. These are great for that racer looking for a top running motor. Timing ajustable,Vented for lower temps and great clean windings. If you are looking for a nice motor at a great price have your local hobby shop contact me or you may do so at [email protected] .
Well, technically they're not great for VTA since they're not legal. If things get opened up I'm sure they'll be an attractive option though!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #2959

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

same occured at east coast shootout. u didnt have a 21.5, u didnt have a chance. that and all newer (t2 or later if u will) 'plate' cars in the A. granted i think there was 1 tub car courtesy of a tamiya junkie. but then again he coulda had a 415 or 05MS out there.

apex, still want an IFSR for winter. still sittin on the shelf.

R
Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #2960
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Mike Haynes was super fast at the Gate, but his car was totally on point, along with his proven driving skills. There were several cars that were just as fast down the straight. I didn't realize Mike Collins had a 17.5, since his car was just as fast as the rest.

I hope Seaball will come on this thread, as he did not run 21.5 until Sunday (borrowed a motor). I think he could shed some light here.
first, congrats to haynes for putting it down on all of us. he didn't do it on rip alone, so let's get that straight. nobody drove like haynes did this weekend, and it didn't appear that anyone's car would corner like his either. that should not be a surprise to anyone, considering his vegas performance of two months ago.

i've driven t/a on two occassions, both with borrowed gear (car, radio, and power). on both occassions, i feel like the few cars that stood out in terms of power were using the 21.5/lipo combo. you can't really use lap times, because the sample size is just too small. even at our 240 entry halloween race (with 30 some t/a cars) there weren't a ton of drivers that could get the cars around the track very tightly. i drove like a total idiot, and still found myself inside of cars way too often for an 'a' heat/main.

getting back to the power thing, i'd have to rank the current options as follows:

21.5-L > Brushed-4 > 17.5-4

the 21.5 just makes more power. it jolts out of the turns and seemes that the 4.2 ratio is as wide as you'd need to go on most tracks (so it's not really a limit at all - as haynes implied).

the brushed motors were first proven faster than the 17.5's in the spring when they were both an option at the carpet nats. at that time, we tested some in a very controlled manner and the brushed motors (that we had) were simply faster in top end and showed a heavy .2/lap advantage (on a normal, 12 second layout). perhaps they have evened up by now, but i still have my doubts..

the 17.5's seem a little weak to me. with the tall ratios, they suffer on the low end, and as a brushless motor, seem to lack any real rpm to pull the length of the straights. there are exceptions, but this is what i've arrived at in the two t/a races i've run.

for me this weekend, my 17.5-4 combo was junk. however, my sticks were (i don't know) how many months old, and the 17.5 was said to be 'getting weak' by it's owner. so yes, when i switched to a 21.5/core-5K the car was ridiculous amounts faster, and i would agree with haynes that i probably shouldn't even have been at the 4.21 that we used.

like robk said... in the end, haynes was the only guy who 'showed up' this past weekend. good job michael!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #2961
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
when i switched to a 21.5/core-5K the car was ridiculous amounts faster, and i would agree with haynes that i probably shouldn't even have been at the 4.21 that we used.
I have noticed a few instances where dropping back from the 4.21 resulted in a faster lap time. Not personally but in the post on this thread.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #2962
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
getting back to the power thing, i'd have to rank the current options as follows:

21.5-L > Brushed-4 > 17.5-4
I wish I'd known this 2 months ago! Now I feel like a low budget race team locked into a bad design and lower performance equipment. I've decided to run what I bought for the year. I think my wife would shoot me if I asked for LiPos, a charger and a 21.5 right now. Wish me luck on dialing in the chassis, getting lots of practice and trying to get enough out of my package to be somewhat competitive with the field.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #2963
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I understand ROAR has 21.5 specs in the works, so hopefully they will approve motors in the next few months. Doug has said he will consider opening up 21.5 if ROAR approves motors. The main consideration now is that 21.5 is more or less wide open. It's hard to know what each motor will run like, and what specs it is built to.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #2964
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Just wanted to post and say that since i had posted pictures of the USVTA stickers i have, a bunch of people have pm'd me buying them.

So i am going to post again for you new guys
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_1617.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_1618m.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #2965
Tech Apprentice

I work at a hobby shop. I've always had Novak 21.5's in stock. There has never been an issue from my side. Bottom line, please don't change any of the rules. We all have the choice of what motor/battery we choose to run. Some choices make you have to learn how to save money to get them. Keep the rules tight to keep the drivers in line. The more it's opened up, the more they will complain that they want more. Ive run this class since May, have run all 3 combos. Love it just the way it is.Don't go changin'.BC
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #2966
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Not sure what the chances of this happening are, but I have to ask.

What happens if ROAR approves a bunch of 21.5s and Novak isn't one of them?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #2967
Tech Adept

hey guy's. i wanted to give my opinion about the 21.5 v 17.5, the last race i particapated in, i had a 21.5 and a friend had a 17.5. i was at 4.2 fdr and i don't know what he was at. we lined up on the straight and he out pulled me by about 3 car length's. i had to set my speed passion at top motor timing before we became dead even. he has tc3 i have ft tc4 and our weght was within 10 or 15 grams. i am about a 2 year rookie at this but im not seeing what others have seen. the 17.5 with open fdr is smoking fast. i wanted to ask them if i could drop a few teeth so i could put the speed passion timing back down. ( i thought that was not good for motor)

george
Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #2968
Tech Adept

oh yea, forgot to say i lost toque in the turns when i jack timing up, so the top speed went up but i lost a a little time in the turns.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #2969
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Is it just me or is it rare to see someone go from 1/8gas to VTA. It might just be a thing in GA.
+1
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #2970
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Now guys are talking about slowing the class down.
What about something that will help to even out new chassis to old chassis.
That great equalizer weight.
We have been running our TA class with the rubber tire weight limits from ROAR. That will not cost anyone hardly more than 5 dollars for those servo taped lead weights.
It makes the new losi r the same weight as a tc3.
CRC WTF-1
Closed Thread