Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #2851
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MPH View Post
Heard it last night direct from Scotty, the WORLD FAMOUS NOVAK CHALENGE race at Trackside Hobby will have a Trans-Am class this coming January 8,9,10 and 11. It will be brushless only, either 4 cell 17.5 or Lipo 21.5 allowed (since it is a bruhless only event) and will be following all other USVTA rules.

Start the New Year racing R/C cars? Heck Yea!!!!!!

There may also be a Trans-Am only race coming some time in Feb of '09, so stay tuned for details and information.........
http://www.trackside.com

Trackside is the co-birth place of Vintage Trans-AM here in America.... This will be the T/A EVENT OF THE YEAR!!!

MPH
i had kinda expected that one... lol. now, it just makes it that much tougher to figure what classes to run!

marty, you still running that equally vintage chassis? pm me a setup!

Wes

Team Novak
Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #2852
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

OK, here's another powertrain question -- don't worry, I'm not asking for any changes to the rules! Quite the opposite, actually, as I am working towards compliance.

As you may know, VTA is in its infancy out here on the left coast. Almost nobody in socal runs it. I was part of a movement to get it going in our local club, and we're up to a dozen cars or so, SORT OF.

We're running USVTA rules with the exception of powertrain. We started with 6-cell/Johnson silver cans to get going on the cheap and gauge interest. Well, the interest is there, and in order to spread the class regionally I want to stick to the official USVTA rules.

So here's the big question:

We're running silver cans with 5.7-6.0 FDR, which equates to a great speed for our particular track. How will this compare to the pace of an official USVTA car? It would be a dream if we could run a mix of USVTA and our silver can spec while people made the transition, or, even better, if USVTA were just a little faster so there would be that incentive to convert.

I know there are other tracks out there running the silver can pseudo-USVTA -- has anyone done a comparo?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #2853
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I have a USVTA setup TC5 for sale here on RC Tech. Makes a great way to get in for those considering it, this is really a fun class.

For sale thread
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 AM   #2854
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
OK, here's another powertrain question -- don't worry, I'm not asking for any changes to the rules! Quite the opposite, actually, as I am working towards compliance.

As you may know, VTA is in its infancy out here on the left coast. Almost nobody in socal runs it. I was part of a movement to get it going in our local club, and we're up to a dozen cars or so, SORT OF.

We're running USVTA rules with the exception of powertrain. We started with 6-cell/Johnson silver cans to get going on the cheap and gauge interest. Well, the interest is there, and in order to spread the class regionally I want to stick to the official USVTA rules.

So here's the big question:

We're running silver cans with 5.7-6.0 FDR, which equates to a great speed for our particular track. How will this compare to the pace of an official USVTA car? It would be a dream if we could run a mix of USVTA and our silver can spec while people made the transition, or, even better, if USVTA were just a little faster so there would be that incentive to convert.

I know there are other tracks out there running the silver can pseudo-USVTA -- has anyone done a comparo?
Back when the gearing restriction was on the 17.5 (4.0 FDR) a few people ran lipo with a traxxas stinger motor. Those running that combo were at 6.0 - 6.2.... the 6.2 was pretty close. With the increased speed now my guess would be about a 5.7 - 5.8 would be right there. I know the motor is slightly different but thats the best I can do.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:41 AM   #2855
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCThunder View Post
Hello racers. We are very excited to be adding the class to the 'birds. Should be a ton of fun and great racing. Can't wait! Thanks Doug! Look for the class on the entry when it comes out next month.

http://www.snowbirdnationals.com/2009news.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MPH View Post
Heard it last night direct from Scotty, the WORLD FAMOUS NOVAK CHALENGE race at Trackside Hobby will have a Trans-Am class this coming January 8,9,10 and 11. It will be brushless only, either 4 cell 17.5 or Lipo 21.5 allowed (since it is a bruhless only event) and will be following all other USVTA rules. http://www.trackside.com
Nice to see Trans AM getting some national race recognition and entry into some big time events. Now hmmm.....Wisconsin in January or Florida in January??? I think its going to be Florida for me.....
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #2856
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a question about drivetrain.

I am building a VTA using a Tamiya TA-04 kit. It has the bevel gear diffs in it. I see some people use one ways in the front. Is it worth locking the front diff for VTA? What about the rear? Is a ball diff needed? I'll be running 27t 4-cell.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #2857
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wont be able to race at the Birds, but last year I was down to at least watch a day of racing. (Sat) I hope to do that again.

I try to wear snoopy t-shirts to help people recognize me from the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
I have a question about drivetrain.

I am building a VTA using a Tamiya TA-04 kit. It has the bevel gear diffs in it. I see some people use one ways in the front. Is it worth locking the front diff for VTA? What about the rear? Is a ball diff needed? I'll be running 27t 4-cell.

Thanks.
I would be tempted to just run it like it is. Although Im using a ball diff in the rear and a spool up front.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #2858
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

i went from a spool to a one way on carpet and I like the one way better, I am thinking about running a diff though for a qualifier or two at the gate this weekend, just so I can have 4 wheel braking and can move around wrecks a little better.....
Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #2859
Tech Elite

Quote:
We're running silver cans with 5.7-6.0 FDR, which equates to a great speed for our particular track. How will this compare to the pace of an official USVTA car?
This may be helpful. We've been racing in our parking lot all Summer. the straightaway is about 110 feet long. I pulled up race results for a race day. Below is results for our TA class where we stick to USVTA power plant rules. I've also posted results for our GT3 class. Our GT3 class rules are any 4WD chassis, rubber tire, silver can motor, any FDR, any 6 cell or 7.2 Lipo battery.

Find the driver named Heinrich. He raced both classes. He's a driver who can keep a tight line over and over again. He's consistent.

Trans Am
Name ID# Fastest Lap
Kris 14.42
Rockin Bob 14.652
Brian Smith 15.034
Heinrich 15.18
Mike Kochanski 15.52
Tom 16.168
KENJI 16.438
Bob Oakes 16.684
Marcus 16.713
Dan Witz 16.931
Mike Matysik 18.264

GT3
Name ID# Fastest Lap
Heinrich 14.626
Kitt 14.635
Tony 14.786
Rutt 14.997
Dave Kredow 15.885
Jason Nolte 17.022

The full days racing results can be found here. There's a pull down menu at the top which you can navigate to other results for that day:

http://pages.ripco.net/~kenji/strict...et_Report.html
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #2860
Tech Elite

Quote:
One more thing....if you have experienced motor tuners or anybody that is reading the rctech thread on silver can tips and tricks you need to know it's possible with the right tricks applied to a silver can to get another 3000rpm out of it over stock out of the box.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #2861
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
One more thing....if you have experienced motor tuners or anybody that is reading the rctech thread on silver can tips and tricks you need to know it's possible with the right tricks applied to a silver can to get another 3000rpm out of it over stock out of the box.
Yeah, we know all about that from our Mini Cooper exploits. We're doing a big-time honor system guilt trip thing for regular races and handout motors for our upcoming trophy race.

I'm just going to keep my eyes peeled for a used Novak 21.5 and ESC and give it a go. I like to think I run pretty consistently (at these speeds lol) so it should be pretty easy to compare.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #2862
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How many of you guys run silver cans in your VTA's? I know it is not legal under the rules, but I am thinking of starting out with a dipped silver can in my TA-04 for club racing. Do silver cans require any different gearing compared to an open end bell 27t?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #2863
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

I think it is AWESOME that Snowbirds and Novak have adopted the USVTA formula. Just goes to show what a successful formula the USVTA team has put together.

Jimmy

Last edited by g12314; 10-23-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #2864
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
This may be helpful. We've been racing in our parking lot all Summer. the straightaway is about 110 feet long. I pulled up race results for a race day. Below is results for our TA class where we stick to USVTA power plant rules. I've also posted results for our GT3 class. Our GT3 class rules are any 4WD chassis, rubber tire, silver can motor, any FDR, any 6 cell or 7.2 Lipo battery.

Find the driver named Heinrich. He raced both classes. He's a driver who can keep a tight line over and over again. He's consistent.

Trans Am
Name ID# Fastest Lap
Kris 14.42
Rockin Bob 14.652
Brian Smith 15.034
Heinrich 15.18
Mike Kochanski 15.52
Tom 16.168
KENJI 16.438
Bob Oakes 16.684
Marcus 16.713
Dan Witz 16.931
Mike Matysik 18.264

GT3
Name ID# Fastest Lap
Heinrich 14.626
Kitt 14.635
Tony 14.786
Rutt 14.997
Dave Kredow 15.885
Jason Nolte 17.022

The full days racing results can be found here. There's a pull down menu at the top which you can navigate to other results for that day:

http://pages.ripco.net/~kenji/strict...et_Report.html
What are your body rules for the GT3? What is the look you are going for?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #2865
Tech Elite

Quote:

Trans Am
Name ID# Fastest Lap
Heinrich 15.18

GT3
Name ID# Fastest Lap
Heinrich 14.626
Good info. I would wager that the difference (and maybe then some) is attributable to the superior tires your GT3 guys surely run. Put 'em on USVTA tires and it would probably be too close to call.

EDIT: Now that I look at all the times instead of just Heinrich's it looks really close. Any idea what FDR is popular in GT3?
Closed Thread