R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #2806
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just an observation after I just finished painting and putting the decals on my HPI Camaro body -- next time skip the 47 decal pieces for the front grill area and just paint it black !!

Geez... what a headache that was.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #2807
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
You might try wiping the tires down completely after letting the sauce dry on the tires, before heading to the track. I have found that most tire sauces (especially Jack the Gripper) are really greasy on rubber tires unless they are wiped down. Burnouts in Paragon-soaked carpet usually does nothing for the tires but make them worse.

Give it a shot next time, and I'd bet that your first 10 laps are a bit less death-defying.
Great tip on the sauce. We're pretty lucky. Its a "Jack" only carpet so far. The burnout station is a pit box covered with the same carpet as the track. The station may actually be too covered in sauce (if that's possible). I will try wiping the tires down though. With brand new everything on the car, I still don't know what to expect. I'm hoping to get back there tonight. It all depends on my son's room being clean. I'm going to pick up a couple sets of springs and try to tune with those first, then try heavier oil. I'm thinking the new batteries will help too. I ran the old 3600s made from a couple stick packs. Seriously near death. They only charge for 2200 seconds before they peak. The 4600s should make a difference in punch and getting the car to power through corners better. I still need to get another TA car on track with ours to compare.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #2808
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench View Post
Just an observation after I just finished painting and putting the decals on my HPI Camaro body -- next time skip the 47 decal pieces for the front grill area and just paint it black !!

Geez... what a headache that was.
I just did 2 in the last week! I know what you mean. Both turned out decent though. I wish I'd been more patient with the paint.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #2809
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You probably could clean up the look and get away with fewer decals if you painted some of that black.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #2810
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
You probably could clean up the look and get away with fewer decals if you painted some of that black.

Exactly.

I wish I would have done that now -- oh well. You learn on the first one and get it right on the second one :-)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #2811
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Great tip on the sauce. We're pretty lucky. Its a "Jack" only carpet so far. The burnout station is a pit box covered with the same carpet as the track. The station may actually be too covered in sauce (if that's possible). I will try wiping the tires down though.
I find that Jack the Gripper is one of the worst rubber tire traction compounds, IMO. I can't stand it. However, if you don't want to spend the first 5 laps sliding around with greasy tires, there is a good trick for it.

Apply JTG 40 minutes before your heat, leave it sit, then apply it 20 minutes before your heat again. 5-10 minutes before you are ready to go out, take a rag and wipe the tires off completely. With your hands, give a good massage to every tire surface like you are rubbing in sun-tan lotion. Now, with a CLEAN rag, wipe them down again. After this, they should be ready to go—and try to avoid driving through the "burnout box" on the way out to the track.

Or, you could wipe down the tires with Ronsonol lighter fluid or Simple Green and leave them clean. Seems to work pretty well on non-Paragon tracks, too.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #2812
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What concentration of Simple Green to water would you suggest for cleaning the Vintage tires? I emptied out an old Zip Free bottle for my solution and went 1 part Green to 10 parts water (roughly). That seemed a bit diluted.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #2813
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

1:1 or half SG and half water works fine.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #2814
Tech Champion

Quote:
Apply JTG 40 minutes before your heat, leave it sit, then apply it 20 minutes before your heat again. 5-10 minutes before you are ready to go out, take a rag and wipe the tires off completely. With your hands, give a good massage to every tire surface like you are rubbing in sun-tan lotion. Now, with a CLEAN rag, wipe them down again. After this, they should be ready to go—and try to avoid driving through the "burnout box" on the way out to the track.

Or, you could wipe down the tires with Ronsonol lighter fluid or Simple Green and leave them clean. Seems to work pretty well on non-Paragon tracks, too.
Awesome stuff, thanks again. I think I'll try the last suggestion first. Clean tires make sense to me.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #2815
Tech Regular

Quote:
1:1 or half SG and half water works fine.

So no Jack-the-Crapper at all then ?

Just use the SG/Water solution to clean the tires between runs ?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #2816
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been using cleaning compounds to clean off the tires after runs and before I put any tire additive on. Since the carpet track I race allows Paragon, I want to remove any excess Paragon to prolong the life of my tires.

I still use Paragon to prep my tires before racing at my local track as I think that helps traction before the groove comes in since it isn't a permanent layout.

Not sure if I could get away with only cleaning tires for racing carpet. I might give that a try.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #2817
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
I've been using cleaning compounds to clean off the tires after runs and before I put any tire additive on. Since the carpet track I race allows Paragon, I want to remove any excess Paragon to prolong the life of my tires.

I still use Paragon to prep my tires before racing at my local track as I think that helps traction before the groove comes in since it isn't a permanent layout.

Not sure if I could get away with only cleaning tires for racing carpet. I might give that a try.

Right -- my question was more for us poor souls who can ony use Jack-the-Slipper . Would we be better off just cleaning the tires with SG between runs rather than all of the voodoo it seems to take to make Jack-the-Slipper usable ???
Old 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #2818
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench View Post
Right -- my question was more for us poor souls who can ony use Jack-the-Slipper . Would we be better off just cleaning the tires with SG between runs rather than all of the voodoo it seems to take to make Jack-the-Slipper usable ???
Pretty much what ApexSpeed said is true, but the basic rule is let Jack sit for a really long time, and make sure the tires are dry or almost dry. Really scrub them with your tire towel.

I like to wipe them 1-2 races before I get out there

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #2819
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Need a little set up help. It's been a long time since the last time I set up a car.

Basically I have 2 TA05 R's to set up.

One for a 6 year old beginer. He'll be running 27t 4 cell with a front diff or spool.

I'll be running 21.5/lipo and a front one way.

Anyone have some starting points? Shock oils and springs etc..

Thanks

Edit forgot to mention its a carpet track. 96' by 52'

Last edited by TwoTone; 10-20-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #2820
Tech Elite

Tell people if it's carpet or asphalt racing.

On asphalt at our track with a 110 foot straightaway, most 21.5's are at a 4.3-4.5 FDR. Brushed guys are between 4.6 and 5.4 FDR. Many of the fast people on asphalt have gone to zero degree toe-in in the rear. Worn out tires are faster than new ones too but that won't make a difference to your newbie driver(s).

If I was setting up a TA car for a newer driver I'd just get the car to be well planted traction-wise and feel neutral and just let them race.
Closed Thread