R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #2776
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench View Post
Hey guys -- years ago (in a prior life when I ran touring cars while oval was in a coma) we always drilled a couple of 1/16" holes in the rims before gluing the tires on them to let air out. Are you doing this with the HPI vintage rims too ?
I have done it on tire sets, and not done it on others. Didn't notice a difference at these speeds.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #2777
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4PJO View Post
I PM'd you my setup, it should get you close.
ran 4cell last night and cranked some 14.6s with 4cell darryl. batboy only could pull 14.8 with the gear ratio and 6cell. don't forget to bring your ta with you sunday.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow — never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long — you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #2778
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
ran 4cell last night and cranked some 14.6s with 4cell darryl. batboy only could pull 14.8 with the gear ratio and 6cell. don't forget to bring your ta with you sunday.
Maybe, have to wait and see.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #2779
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench View Post
Hey guys -- years ago (in a prior life when I ran touring cars while oval was in a coma) we always drilled a couple of 1/16" holes in the rims before gluing the tires on them to let air out. Are you doing this with the HPI vintage rims too ?

Thx.
The HPI Vintage wheels come with a hole in them already.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #2780
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post

that's cause batty it still learning what corner speed is! Oh yes I did!

I'll be there sunday w/ 1 maybe 2 for the Jr. class also.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #2781
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My son's car is done. The paint came out fairly nice. I needed to be a little more patient with the hood and trunk racing stripes. We'll be testing tonight, time permitting. It will be good to at least have one of these ready to roll as they are identical except for paint. I'm still waiting on spacers for the narrow control arms, cutting my body and stickerizing it to my taste. Mine could be ready this evening, but not until after the initial test. I'll probably be working on it during F1 qualifying in China, like 1 AM Central.

I'm hoping to take a good look at shock angle, springs, oil weight, toe and camber. If all goes well in setup, we might actually be able let him race his on Sunday. I'll try and get some pics of him and his car while I'm at it. If anyone has a generic list of setup ideas for their cars, pass it along. This will be a carpet car, 10" wheelbase, low center of gravity chassis.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #2782
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

sorry this info is alittle late but we had an great time last weekend

THE EAST COAST TRANS -AM SHOOTOUT

“The Track” of Gaithersburg , MD has been the site of some intense US Vintage Trans Am (USVTA) R/C racing ever since the class debuted there in December , 2007. Over the spring/summer of ‘08, “The Track” did much of the testing and verification for the USVTA 21.5/lipo “spec” power option. Monthly Trans Am Enduros have added to the fun.

Things stepped up a notch on October 11, 2008 when “The Track” hosted “The East Coast Trams Am Shootout”. While attendance was a little lighter than expected, (don't you just love this economy?), racers did represent states from New York to the Carolinas.

Prior to the start of racing , a concours judging was held. Chris Green got top concours honors with an outstanding , realistic job on a Pegasus Mustang.

The week prior to “The Shootout” the track crew put down a new track layout. This was an “open” track, designed to enhance the side-by-side running that has become a hallmark of USVTA racing . And there was some racin’. After three rounds of 5 minute qualifiers, Robbie Dodge emerged as Top Qualifier. Close behind were Scooby Horton, and Arv Nano.

What can you say ? You just knew a 12 car, 8 minute, A-main, was going to be something to see. “Ya had to be there”. When the dust (and Lexan) settled, Robbie Dodge won with Scooby in second and Andy David running third. “Young Guns” Randy Bernard and Jon Isaac took the B and C mains respectively.

The first “East Cast Trans Am Shootout” is in the books. Those who attended enjoyed good racing and good fellowship. Hopefully , the “EAST COAST TRANS AM SHOOTOUT” will become an annual affair, marking the fall kick off for the indoor USVTA season, with the “USVTA Nationals” serving as the spring finale.

Special thanks to:
Vic Kao - race director and computer abuser extraordinaire
Ed Bernard - Tech Inspection
Chris Chandler- Track Maintenance
Billy Spence - Flyers and publicity
Dave Chester - Photography
“Bangkok Dangerous” Komkit Lissard - internet support
Mimi Wong - track owner, gracious host and early USVTA supporter
Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #2783
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

We ended up on the oval tonight for testing. No choice there, that's the Friday class. Testing went well! We sauced the tires, let them dry, did the burn out station then hit the track. The car for some reason seemed to get a little faster after about 10 laps. The new kit loosening up I guess. From what I can see, the car hooks up well in the straights, has too much steering at low speed and may need heavier oil and springs in the front as it still hooks ar higher corner speed. It still needs more testing with just simple tweaks in gearing with no physical parts changes. Practice without messing with parts swapping just to get used to the feel is needed badly. A certain 10 year old got a little impatient while dad was in the shop buying parts, He was "heating up his tires" like the real pros do. He lost control and cracked the chin spoiler and drivers side valance nicely. Time to "Goop" it up. We'll need to see these cars running against others on the road coarse to really get a real comparision, but he ran the car for about 12 minutes on 1 pack before I was called back to work. The car and the driver looked good.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #2784
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
We sauced the tires, let them dry, did the burn out station then hit the track. The car for some reason seemed to get a little faster after about 10 laps.
You might try wiping the tires down completely after letting the sauce dry on the tires, before heading to the track. I have found that most tire sauces (especially Jack the Gripper) are really greasy on rubber tires unless they are wiped down. Burnouts in Paragon-soaked carpet usually does nothing for the tires but make them worse.

Give it a shot next time, and I'd bet that your first 10 laps are a bit less death-defying.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #2785
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
that's cause batty it still learning what corner speed is! Oh yes I did!

I'll be there sunday w/ 1 maybe 2 for the Jr. class also.

cya then...whats the final on the Jr?
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 10-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #2786
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Front Diff Setup Thoughts

I've been away from racing since last winter and I noticed a lot of rubber tire setups include running a fully locked spool front diff. X-ray even has some fancy constant velocity half shafts to keep the chatter down when using sticky tires.

Last year I found my T2 '007 in TC trim ran well with a front one way and direct drive center layshaft. Given the grip is entirely different with these vintage tires what have you guys tried as far as driveline setups?

In the Tamiya TC class I was running into some folks with the one way on the layshaft and a regular diff up front. At lease with the open TC chassis we have lots of options to try out.

Just FYI, I went to Ihobby in Chicago and highly recommend it. I talked at length with the tech. representatives from a lot of companies and got the inside scoop that you don't read in magazines. I encouraged Tekin to present the 21.5 to the VTA rules team since the guy spent 45 min. with me explaining the ins and outs of brushless motors. Very impressive.

Last edited by runs_wscissors; 10-18-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #2787
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not to speak for Doug, but I dont think you are going to see another 21.5 legal until ROAR produces a list of approved motors. Its nothing against Tekin either. They are a fine company with an excellent product, but if you want to support them then I suggest using the RS or RS pro and then getting a legal motor. Novak for 21.5. If you want to run 4cell then the Tekin motor might be legal, but I would have to check before I coud say for sure.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #2788
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Not to speak for Doug, but I dont think you are going to see another 21.5 legal until ROAR produces a list of approved motors. Its nothing against Tekin either. They are a fine company with an excellent product, but if you want to support them then I suggest using the RS or RS pro and then getting a legal motor. Novak for 21.5. If you want to run 4cell then the Tekin motor might be legal, but I would have to check before I coud say for sure.
yes, the tekin 17.5 is a ROAR legal motor.

Unfortunately, snoopy is right - there is no such thing as an "ROAR-approved" 21.5...so until there is, only the novak is legal in USVTA

Trust me, I'd much rather run the tekin - but rules are rules...so I run my tekin - but its the 17.5 and with 4cell
Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #2789
Tech Initiate

Im getting into the vta racing and thinking about the hpi e10 with 21.5 and lipo what are your thoughts
Old 10-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #2790
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

The E10 is not the greatest. You would be better off buying a used TC3 or TC4 cheap. I am using a TC4 in the VTA class.
Closed Thread