R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #2686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Price of Brushless/LIPO seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter...

I can see this really helping spec racing like the VTA...

I was reading the specs on the LRP A I Brushless esc, and for a NEW Esc under $100.00, and the ORION 2400 Lipo being under $40.00 (Both BRAND NEW), it's only a matter of time before these can be picked up USED for an even better deal...

If NOVAK were to offer a package of the 21.5 or 17.5 with their newest sportsman class B/L ESC that could be cool too.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #2687
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Thanks for the input. For the record I was running 100/38 (not 48). I'll try a smaller pinion next time I race and see if that gets me out of the corner better. I wonder what track they run with the suggested FDR of 5.4-5.7 for 4 cell/27t on the USVTA website.

My motor temps after the main were in the 170 F. range, so certainly not excessive for a brushed motor. I can't remember the last time I cut this motor either, so I'm sure that it is due. I'm using the long lasting Trinity XXX brushes on it.

I should add that I'm using 4600 mah batteries. After the 8 minute main, I took my car back out and probably practiced for another 3-5 minutes before the battery fell off. My last lap of the main (52) was only .1 slower than my fastest lap , so the battery really didn't drop off at all.
Indy- think your track is on the small side. I can tell you that at our track, I'm running about a 6.1-6.4 FDR with 4600's and a Putnam-tuned CO27. We're lapping around at about 9 seconds...
www.muddslidemotorsports.com
BSR Tires
Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #2688
Tech Master

A fast lap on our layout Friday was in the 8.5 second range. If we have a more open layout I've been able to get into the low 8 second range. Needless to say, 10 car mains while possible can be a bit of a melee for 1/10 scale cars.

The upside to racing a small track is that it has really taught me patience. You really don't want to make too many mistakes with the lap times that we are running. Add to that 8 minute mains and it can make for some fun racing. Even if you are down at the 1/2 way point in the main, you know the leader is going to have to negotiate traffic. I've been almost a lap down and was able to catch back up just through clean driving.

Thanks everyone for the input on FDR. I just want to make sure our racers locally don't feel the need to buy new equipment to be competitive.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #2689
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Steve PM replied

And once again my apologies for the numerous slams! I'll try to lower it to only 1 hit per heat this Friday
Old 10-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #2690
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Painting HPI Vintage Wheels ??

Hey guys -- I did some searching on this thread but didn't see any hits on this.

Have any of you painted the HPI wheels ? If so, what type/brand paint did you use ?

I want to use the matte chrome rims, but paint the spokes matte black like these in the HPI pic:

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7494/

Thanks !!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #2691
Tech Elite

I got a couple sets of used wheels and tires from INDYRC_RACER with the bodies he sent me a few weeks ago.

One set was the Aluminum style wheels with the centers blacked similar to the ones pictured. I did another set with Black sharpies, and they looked OK when done (especially from more than 4 ft. away. I also took one set that I got that were the WHITE 8 Spoke, and made a mask to cover the tires..and spray painted them GOLD to go with the Gold/Black Camaro. I love the way that looked when done.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #2692
Tech Regular

Enamel spray paint ?

Just wondering what type of paint will bond the best to the HPI wheels.

Also - how does the Pegasus Camaro compare to the HPI Camaro as far as wheelbase length ?? Same ? Shorter or Longer ?

The HPI is just a tick short in the wheel openings for my ol' Yokomo. Just wondering if the Pegasus wheel openings were different length wheelbase.

Thx!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #2693
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench View Post
Enamel spray paint ?

Just wondering what type of paint will bond the best to the HPI wheels.

Also - how does the Pegasus Camaro compare to the HPI Camaro as far as wheelbase length ?? Same ? Shorter or Longer ?

The HPI is just a tick short in the wheel openings for my ol' Yokomo. Just wondering if the Pegasus wheel openings were different length wheelbase.

Thx!
The Pegasus is shorter yet. I've got the HPI on my "standard" wheelbase Warpspeed conversion chassis for the TC3. The Pegasus will fit perfectly on my Warpspeed D2 (short wheelbase) conversion chassis. Makes it look pretty "squatty" being short yet SIGNIFICANTLY wider.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 10-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #2694
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I switch back and forth between the HPI Camaro and the Pegases 70 ss with no problem. I did not notice a wheel base difference.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #2695
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench View Post
Hey guys -- I did some searching on this thread but didn't see any hits on this.

Have any of you painted the HPI wheels ? If so, what type/brand paint did you use ?

I want to use the matte chrome rims, but paint the spokes matte black like these in the HPI pic:

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7494/

Thanks !!
Ive tried the sharpie and Testors model paint
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_6270.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-music-city-championship-007.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-015.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-009.jpg  
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #2696
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MPH View Post
I switch back and forth between the HPI Camaro and the Pegases 70 ss with no problem. I did not notice a wheel base difference.
I guess now that I think about it (something I avoid at all costs...) the HPI Camaro wheelbase is a touch short for my TC3's as well. I shortened it up as much as possible then ended up cutting the front wheelwells forward a touch.

Sorry--guess it was too long ago (over a year).

I DO know that the Warpspeed DX2 is shorter than the standard TC3 and it lines up PERFECTLY under the Pegasus body. Working on that combo now.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #2697
Tech Adept

Goodwrench, I have used Allclad metalizer paint on my wheels. It's a laquer base paint and sticks well with no real prep.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #2698
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi nut View Post
Goodwrench, I have used Allclad metalizer paint on my wheels. It's a laquer base paint and sticks well with no real prep.
Cool ! Thanks.

I would imagine then that that the lexan paint we use on the bodies would probably work too as it is laquer based as well ?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #2699
Tech Addict

This is my USVTA that I painted and ran at the East Coast TransAm Shootout.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-dsc01329.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-dsc01331.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-dsc01333.jpg  

"MICRO RACING FOR LIFE".....SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TRACKS AND HOBBY SHOPS
Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #2700
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Looks good Wes, you digging the Camaro body too now I see. Next time you race me, you'll be racing the TC5, I think the Cyclones run is coming to an end. Was that race last weekend? If so, how did you do?
Closed Thread