R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #2671
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
So, when I'm racing on a high grip carpet track, my front tires are squealing in the corners. ?
That's the Steve McQueen tweak!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #2672
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
So, when I'm racing on a high grip carpet track, my front tires are squealing in the corners. Is that normal for VTA, or is it a symptom of a setup problem?
I don't think so. I have seen some fast cars that squeal.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #2673
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default VTA Impressions - Looking for a VTA track in SE Michigan

First off many thanks to those who share their visions and thoughts about the VTA series here. I've tried to read most of the past postings and appreciate the open exchange.

I started racing Tamiya Minis as a break from foam tire TC. The class was enjoyable for simplified racing, but lacked in creative chassis setup options available with VTA. Due to it's "un-serious" nature at my local track most of the cars violated the TCS posted rules so there was a lot of disparity between cars.

I am very excited about building up my first VTA car and really feel the need drive a slower combination than a 10.5/lipo. Burning up tires, destroying parts and flattening my wallet had taken the fun out of RC racing. Even switching from Foam to Rubber tires didn't provide much relief.

With all that said does anyone plan on running VTA here in SE Michigan? I use to race at CEFX, which I understand is closed now. There are some updates at Larry's Performance R/C planned, but I'm not sure of the class structure for this winter. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #2674
Tech Champion

Take your car to the track and practice with it. I guarantee you will get people interested as soon as they see it. This is 100% proven in the field

Old 10-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #2675
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ran 4-cell stock last night with an HPI PRO 3 that I picked up used. Really liked the handling of the car, but felt it lacked punch on the small carpet track I normally race at. I did win the A-Main, but that was due more to clean racing than having the fastest car. Overall was happy considering this was the first outing for me with this car.

Was looking for other racers input racing 4-cell stock in VTA on small carpet tracks. My FDR in the main was 100/38*2.25=5.92 with a Cobalt motor. Not sure if gearing up would have helped as the straight wasn't really long enough to take advantage of taller gear.

I should add that I'm using an old Novak GT7 and tried profile 7 with a lower drive frequency to see if that helped the punch out of the corners.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 10-11-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #2676
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Ran 4-cell stock last night with an HPI PRO 3 that I picked up used. Really liked the handling of the car, but felt it lacked punch on the small carpet track I normally race at. I did win the A-Main, but that was due more to clean racing than having the fastest car. Overall was happy considering this was the first outing for me with this car.

Was looking for other racers input racing 4-cell stock in VTA on small carpet tracks. My FDR in the main was 100/48*2.25=5.92 with a Cobalt motor. Not sure if gearing up would have helped as the straight wasn't really long enough to take advantage of taller gear.

I should add that I'm using an old Novak GT7 and tried profile 7 with a lower drive frequency to see if that helped the punch out of the corners.
What were your temps?

I'd believe you'd have a TON more "punch" with lower gearing and not hurt yourself at all if you're not topping out on the straights. Our club tracks we run 65 X 40 feet with a full length straight. I usually run somewhere in the range of 100/35 (+ or -) *2.5 = approx 7.1. so figure a range of high 6's to low 7's. I tend to be a BIT conservative on temps, but on a tighter track the punch outweighs the long legs on the straight.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #2677
Tech Master

Thanks for the input. For the record I was running 100/38 (not 48). I'll try a smaller pinion next time I race and see if that gets me out of the corner better. I wonder what track they run with the suggested FDR of 5.4-5.7 for 4 cell/27t on the USVTA website.

My motor temps after the main were in the 170 F. range, so certainly not excessive for a brushed motor. I can't remember the last time I cut this motor either, so I'm sure that it is due. I'm using the long lasting Trinity XXX brushes on it.

I should add that I'm using 4600 mah batteries. After the 8 minute main, I took my car back out and probably practiced for another 3-5 minutes before the battery fell off. My last lap of the main (52) was only .1 slower than my fastest lap , so the battery really didn't drop off at all.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #2678
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Thanks for the input. For the record I was running 100/38 (not 48). I'll try a smaller pinion next time I race and see if that gets me out of the corner better. I wonder what track they run with the suggested FDR of 5.4-5.7 for 4 cell/27t on the USVTA website.
That gear range has worked on most tracks where the straight is 80-100' long. I have gone as low as 5.2 At 60', you probably are not gonna use all the RPM

Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #2679
EJF
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I am soon building a TC3 for VTA to race at Indy slots, one question, what is a popular motor battery choice, I own a LIPO and a brushless ESC, or should I stick with 4cell batteries NIMH?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #2680
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runs_wscissors View Post
does anyone plan on running VTA here in SE Michigan? I use to race at CEFX, which I understand is closed now. There are some updates at Larry's Performance R/C planned, but I'm not sure of the class structure for this winter. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Take your car to the track and practice with it. I guarantee you will get people interested as soon as they see it. This is 100% proven in the field
robk is right. If there is no VTA class in your area, you can pretty much start one just by building a car and running laps with it. Questions will get asked and intrest will build. All it takes is five guys to run a heat. You will know who is intrested when you practice with your car. The guys who hang out and ask you questions while you practice, those are your new partners for your local chapter USVTA.

You dont have to run the car just build it and set it on your pit during your normal classes.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #2681
Tech Master

If you want to borrow a Novak 21.5 motor this Friday at Slots, let me know. I usually make it to the track around 6:00 pm.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #2682
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJF View Post
I am soon building a TC3 for VTA to race at Indy slots, one question, what is a popular motor battery choice, I own a LIPO and a brushless ESC, or should I stick with 4cell batteries NIMH?
Get a Novak 21.5 motor and don't look back. As long as you can achieve mid 5.x gearing with your chassis, you will have the time of your life with the reduced motor maintanance and battery managment. This package is competitive.

Marty
Old 10-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #2683
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been racing VTA for about 3 weeks now and I can honestly say this class made me love racing RC's again. Despite the fact of placing last in my first few heats (first time I've ever raced TC of any sort) I've never had so much fun. I was lucky last weekend and placed 2nd in the A-Main, mostly due to dodging some of the wrecks! Slowly but surely I'm getting the car setup!

And the class was cheap too, bought a used TC4 and electronics, then bought the body and wheels/tires and I was ready! Thanks to Steve for the good used gear!

Haha if you had seen my first couple of runs with the car you would've thought I was driving a drift car

Amazing what a change of springs and oil weight can do for a car!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #2684
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I have been racing VTA for about 3 weeks now and I can honestly say this class made me love racing RC's again. Despite the fact of placing last in my first few heats (first time I've ever raced TC of any sort) I've never had so much fun. I was lucky last weekend and placed 2nd in the A-Main, mostly due to dodging some of the wrecks! Slowly but surely I'm getting the car setup!

And the class was cheap too, bought a used TC4 and electronics, then bought the body and wheels/tires and I was ready! Thanks to Steve for the good used gear!

Haha if you had seen my first couple of runs with the car you would've thought I was driving a drift car

Amazing what a change of springs and oil weight can do for a car!
Is this Cody???....
Old 10-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #2685
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cwoods34 you have PM
Closed Thread