Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 09-19-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, I don’t think it matter arebranded or not.

You can’t bring a GEO Prizm to a Toyota race where rule required it must be a Toyota. Even GEO Prizm is based on Toyota AE92 and AE102 and Toyota rebranded platforms but that doesn’t make it legal to race.

Don’t assume that ABC brand is a rebranded of the XYZ brand and it should be legal to race where ever, unless the club or the track owners are okay with it.

As ApexSpeed often said: If it's not in the rules, consider it illegal.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:34 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

something i brought to Komkit's attention on his thread for The Track in Gaithersburg, MD where he runs the Racing Program including T/A.

Kom,

i know its not a big deal, but tamiya ta05 runners when they present their cars should not be mixing DRs from standard ta05 to IFS. if you run a TA05 standard, you should have the 2.25 setup in there. if you have an IFS/IFSR then you should run the 2.055. ratio. there's a hole for some1 to get cute with gearing on a 21.5 using a standard ta05 and puttin the IFSR pullies on there. the tech calc's his ratio at 4.4:1 based on 2.25, but he's actually got 4.0:1 . with that said no1 can hopefully pull the simplier task of tryin to convince people the IFS has the same old ratio as all TA05s and slip somethin by.

just a thought.
RW
Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
something i brought to Komkit's attention on his thread for The Track in Gaithersburg, MD where he runs the Racing Program including T/A.

RW
Oops I thought my TA05 IFS R was kinda fast in testing. Thanks for heads up. I sent update to GEARCHARTS for TA05 IFS
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Second, spoilers or "lip" spoilers are legal for every car available. That means that even though the Mustangs don't include spoilers, you can use one of the spoilers from either the 'Cuda or the Camaro and be perfectly legal. The photos in the gallery are from a series in Florida that wasn't at the time using USVTA rules (hence the pan car with the 'Cuda body in a few shots). There were a few Mustangs using home-made spoilers. In my opinion, and by the "Spirit of the Rules," making a 3/8" spoiler that is identical in size to the 'Cuda or Camaro included spoilers is perfectly legal.

thats weird...Ive heard this somewhere before?...lol

ps...now if we get a solution for using lipo and 27t ppl...take your time...Im not going to give up on this class anytime soon...even if I got to buy a 21.5...lol...thanks for the clarification on the spoilers, even if we(local) decided not to run any spoilers at all after the big debate about my homemade spoiler...ABM
Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
now if we get a solution for using lipo and 27t ppl...
Hehe... that's probably not going to happen in this class (where "probably not" is defined as "never" in parent-speak).
Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Hehe... that's probably not going to happen in this class (where "probably not" is defined as "never" in parent-speak).
As a parent of a three year old I finally understand!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
dreams are good...and my 11 year old girl can handle it...just goto turn the radio waaaay down..lol...no but thanks for all that you guys have done for this class...and "NEVER say NEVER"
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-004.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-005.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-006.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-007.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-016.jpg  

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 09-19-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Not to throw off on Darksieds work because the lip spoilers look really great. But does that make any diff at all in handling? I just cant see going through the trouble. But it does look nice.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Not to throw off on Darksieds work because the lip spoilers look really great. But does that make any diff at all in handling? I just cant see going through the trouble. But it does look nice.
With all the questions and wondering in regards to the spoiler, today during practice I ran laps with the spoiler on, and laps with the spoiler taken off. I have the camero shell. The results = I didn't notice any difference at all in the handling characteristics. Even in straight away speed, no difference. Corner speeds, no difference. At the speed settings of this class the gains or losses combined with the regulation size of the rear spoilers are minimal at the most. I really could not feel or see any gains or losses. It would take a computer reading to tell that you're half a Fly's A$$ faster or slower with the spoiler on or off. The areo/downforce gains or losses are too minimal to effectively aid in performance edge...The bottom line is signed "Driving Skills"...I.M.O the spoilers look cool, but performance-wise, don't make a difference that counts.

68 Camero Body
27t Brush Motor
SMC 4 Cs @ 4600 MAH (new)
Regulation Vintage TA Specs

Last edited by DJ919; 09-20-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snoopyrc

NOPE...that was my point 4 months ago...but certain ppl made such a big deal about it that it was causing head-aches that I just let it go...but no harm no foul..and Ive ran it both ways and its only for looks...lol
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

Well for looks it does good.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

No performance advantage, non-authentic look...I guess I'm not sure why anyone would want to open Pandora's box over the matter. Home-made aero isn't necessary, at minimum overly complicates things, and creates another opening for some deep thinker to pry open a loophole.

I regularly run both a Camaro and a Mustang (generally depends what there's more of as to which I run) and there has never been any handling difference between them.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default VTA at Indy Slots in Indianapolis, IN

We had another great night of racing here at Indy Slots in Indianapolis.

We have been getting about 8-12 racers each week which is pretty good for the season not kicking off fully yet. Last night we had 9 drivers. Made for a very crowded A-Main

Here are some pictures from last night:

After the racing, a couple guys had to book so we couldn't get a full field shot

I drive the black #6 Camaro

The A-Main winner was the yellow 'Cuda

Here's a good example of running tires until they are nearly slicks. Can anyone identify the racer? He's a member here.

And lastly, a little "friendly" aggressive door-to-door racing is as much fun as you can have legally.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Over a hundred shots here if you're the kind of person who likes that kind of thing:

http://photos.mybuddypete.com/galler...76069184_ZVaWV
Old 09-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Railroader
We had another great night of racing here at Indy Slots in Indianapolis.

We have been getting about 8-12 racers each week which is pretty good for the season not kicking off fully yet. Last night we had 9 drivers. Made for a very crowded A-Main
Looks (and sounds) like a great time!! How'd that Tamiya Landcruiser place?

Has Alan Smith managed to put in an appearance at IndySlots now that there isn't F-1 there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.