Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc

I never did very well in touring. Plus I liked the look of the muscle cars better than the TC. The slower class just was more comfortable to me. I think Im turning just as quick of a lap times with VTA as I was in TC. (Not true for the better drivers at my track) I know Im having more fun.
I agree since running vintage at pt both my vintage and tc lap times have decreased due to being able to learn the track at a slower speed and having the skill of driving being an important part of this class. I am not sure if it was your batteries going dead or not but you may wanna look at your gearing to get some more speed outa the car

As far as tires I have notice the one front tire wearing much more than my other front...can't remember which one. I also know my fronts are almost done and I have about half the life left on the rears
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shadow102
...my vintage and tc lap times have decreased due to being able to learn the track at a slower speed and having the skill of driving being an important part of this class.
Wow, what an absolutely novel concept.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Honestly, I think T/A has improved my driving as well. I think the biggest improvement has been in negotiating traffic......but driving the line is #1
Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well there is this,,, I dont know, but its like you think you have to have a faster car to go faster. So many times it will turn out completely wrong. Slow the car down = Faster lap times. Could it be because of the lowered time spent with the car on its roof, or wedged into the corner. Then theres the side effect of having turn Marshals that arent completley done with you.

Shadow- Yeah Im way under geared. The straight is like racing Miss Daisy. Honestly its the biggest pinion and only spur I have for that one. Im content to drive it like that. This may sound wierd, but if I actually have a chance at winning, then I cant relax and have fun. Guess Im crazy.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At out track (parking lot) I can get right at 4 race days out of a set of tires, that's practice, 3 heats, and an 8 minute main. I couldn't even think of tires lasting that long on the 13.5 tc's

We usually have open practice, and I try to get out there with the 13.5 guys and try their lines, yeah they kill me on acceleration and the straights, but I can stay fairly close in the tight sections, keeps them wondering some times.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
if I actually have a chance at winning, then I cant relax and have fun.
There's some sort of profound genius wisdom in that statement.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shadow102
I agree since running vintage at pt both my vintage and tc lap times have decreased due to being able to learn the track at a slower speed and having the skill of driving being an important part of this class.
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Wow, what an absolutely novel concept.
No kidding. In our club, "stock" still allows 13.5, so that's what most of the new racers in novice run. It is pure carnage and nobody is learning to drive and race. A seasoned driver could go out there with a silver can in a stock TT01 and put laps on the field. It's been suggested many times that we have a beginner or novice class that runs hand-out silver cans or something similar so people can actually learn to race, but so far nothing has come of it. It's a shame. It's critical that new racers have a good time racing so they come back and when they go home with a broken car after a demolition derby that doesn't happen.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

One more thing

Anyone know of USVTA catching on anywhere in SoCal?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

so far with just 4 runs of practice i can say yes my driving has improved with this setup. Does give you a chance to learn the driving line. you don't hit the wall, at least not that hard. ALL of my area tracks have the class and its great. I plan on 5 races the rest of the year at least.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reenmachine
One more thing

Anyone know of USVTA catching on anywhere in SoCal?
If you are running 13.5...you might try a gear restriction...it help us out alot...we are running 17.5...and 6cell/lipo...it helps our newbies learn a little more control...with the FDR..it slowed our cars down so the handle like 4cell...it might work for you guys as well...

try and see..it cant hurt
Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...at Camarillo, the NEWB's should try the 13.5's w/ 4 cell.

The VTA is doing 4 cell 17.5 and 4 cell Stock right? I can't imagine a 13.5/6 cell in the hands of a NEWB on that track. (Or turn the THROTTLE way down on the radio..so it's drivable)

...I'd love to get VTA racing going up here in NIPOMO/SANTA MARIA ... but we don't have too many On-Road guys yet.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SWTour
...at Camarillo, the NEWB's should try the 13.5's w/ 4 cell.

I can't imagine a 13.5/6 cell in the hands of a NEWB on that track.
Well, if you felt daring and tried to imagine it, that's what it's like. It's actually dangerous to be a turn marshal.

Mind you, we're not running VTA yet -- this is "stock" touring car I'm talking about. I was just saying that VTA speeds would be wonderful for our novices.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Well, if you felt daring and tried to imagine it, that's what it's like. It's actually dangerous to be a turn marshal.

Mind you, we're not running VTA yet -- this is "stock" touring car I'm talking about. I was just saying that VTA speeds would be wonderful for our novices.
Just give them 17.5 6 cell. Thats what we do and it works ok. Then the faster class runs 13.5 6 cell.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anyone selling or know of someone selling a 21.5? Hoping to find a used one before i pull the trigger on a brand new one from Tower Hobbies.

I'd also be willing to trade a Novak 13.5SS for the 21.5-- i bought it used here and ran it once or twice in the parking lot.

Thanks!!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

does anybody know of any TA races coming up this weekend....in our general area?....we have some time off..and I need my "FIX"...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.