R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #2131
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well I took the plunge and bought the body, rims, tires...I am officially trying this out! Looks fun, can't wait...when I get my 68 Camaro/Tamiya all done up Ill shoot a Picture...any Georgia/Florida guys racing these at their tracks...shoot me a email...so I can find out a close place to race.

[email protected]

Paul
Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #2132
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WOW!...1st let me say that some of you are old...really OLD!...lol

2nd thanks to the positive input put here for the entire WORLD to read and thanks to the negative remarks for showing you AZZ...I said this before, there is no better way to kill a hobby than with a NEGATIVE VIBE..PERIOD!

3rd...for the guys that started this class..it doesnt matter if you change the rules or not...Im not asking you to...I asked if there was room to do so...a simple NO...would have worked fine....Im looking out for my two tracks..our racers and race director....NONE of them care about running USVTA, but I do like giving the TPTB..props...yall did a great job with this class of r/c racing.. but if you think that there isnt any room for improvement?...you are wrong

it doesnt have to be what we run or anything similar...but just like everthing in life...you either get better or worst....if there is room for more options great...if not oh well.....I hope in no way anybody takes anything personal on the web...I only know maybe 3 of you...and none of you can beat me anyway....lol...j/k....NOT!...OK...maybe Dirla/Nash..maybe

ps..thanks Monkey....

pss...do some push-ups
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #2133
Tech Champion

psss..my wife races too

pssss...take that back...you cant beat me, even with a slow car..21.5/lipo
Old 08-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #2134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I don't think too many people into miniature wargaming have to worry about explaining it to a girlfriend.
HA HA!! Good call!
I go to a gaming convention every year and i ALWAYS feel like a minority because...

1. I don't live in my parents' basement
2. I weigh under 250 pounds
3. I showered and shaved that morning
4. I've had sex... with a woman... that i didn't have to pay for

As an aside... Apex Speed has made it very clear SEVERAL times that he's NOT bending on the rules for the organization that he and his cohorts have created.

If you want something different, get your own website, start your own thread and put in the time and effort that the USVTA has.

I'm not bashing what works locally.... it just seems that every 8 pages of posts someone wants a rules change and then an argument breaks out.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #2135
Tech Champion

NICE GROUP OF TRACKS...GLAD THEY ALL ARE LISTED FOR THE RACERS KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE DIFFERENT LOCATIONS...YOU KNOW...SOME RUN THIS SOME RUN THAT...LOL..

Participating Race Tracks

To submit your track to the USVTAA directory, please take a few minutes to fill out the form here.

Tracks using Official U.S. Vintage Trans Am Rules

California

Discount Hobby Raceway
7644 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
San Diego, California 92117
858-560-9633
Contact Name: Eric

Outdoor racing on asphalt track, Sunday afternoons. Weight penalties enforced: 100g for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Colorado

e-Team HobbyPlex
3501 S. Mason Street
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525
970-690-5578
[email protected]

See website for detailed schedule dates and exact hours.

MHOR R/C Raceway
15540 E. Batavia Dr
Aurora, Colorado 80011
303-343-0151

Outdoor asphalt racing on Friday nights. WD-40 is only allowed traction compound.

Florida

Florida State Electric Auto Racing Association
Note: Currently offering only 13.5/6-cell/LiPo option
Statewide Florida racing series
Numerous asphalt tracks and outdoor locations
[email protected]

See website for detailed class rules, schedule, dates and exact locations of events.

Village R/C Raceway
100 Sweetbay Lane
Royal Palm Beach, Florida 33411
[email protected]
Contact Name: Tim Potter

Track is outdoor asphalt surface. Race days are Saturdays. See website for detailed schedule, dates and hours.

Georgia

Prime Time Hobbies and Speedway
3051 Hwy 41 South
Calhoun, Georgia 30701
706-625-9037
[email protected]

Outdoor asphalt racing on Sunday & Tuesday

Illinois

Strictly R/C
7719 W Lawrence Ave
Norridge, Illinois 60706
708-456-9100
[email protected]

Outdoor asphalt racing on Sundays

The Track at Harbor Hobbies
1225 Sheridan Road Suite H
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois 60096
847-246-1762
[email protected]

Races are Sundays, opens at 8:00am, races beginning at 1:30pm. See website for detailed schedule, dates and hours.

The Underground R/C Racetrack
40 E. 54th St.
Chicago, Illinois 60615
773-251-1200
[email protected]

Indoor concrete track. Races are Sundays. See website for contacts and more specific information.

Indiana

Indy Slots
5135 S. Emerson Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46237
317-787-7568
[email protected]

Indoor carpet racing on Friday evening. Any traction compound allowed.

Michiana R/C Raceway
2544 Miracle Lane
Mishawaka, Indiana 46545

Races are Fridays, opens at 4:30pm. See website for detailed schedule, dates and hours.

Summit R/C Raceway
4488E 610N
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46783
260-672-1229
[email protected]

Indoor carpet racing on Sunday & Tuesday

Maryland

The Coliseum RC Race Track, HobbyTown USA
919C N. East Street
Frederick Maryland 21701
301-694-7395
[email protected]

See website for detailed schedule, dates and exact hours.

HobbyTown USA
Chesapeake Square Shopping Center
6714-d Gov. Ritchie Highway
Glen Burnie, Maryland 21061
410-590-4950
[email protected]

See website for race times.

The Track
16806 Oakmont Avenue
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877
301-417-9630
[email protected]

Trans Am races are Sundays, races beginning at 1:00pm. See website for detailed schedule, dates and hours.

Michigan

Detroit Radio Control Car Club
42705 VanDyke Ave.
Sterling Heights, Michigan 48314
248-635-5715

Outdoor concrete racing on Sundays. 13.5 brushless/19T brushed motor choice or a 17.5 with a 7.4v LiPo battery combo.

Nebraska

HobbyTown USA HobbyPlex
10020 Scott Circle
Omaha, Nebraska 68122
402-498-8888

Races are both Sundays and Wednesday evenings. See website for detailed schedule, dates and exact hours.

New Jersey

South Jersey Cost Controlled Racing
25 Jackson Lane
Sicklerville, New Jersey 08081
856-889-3647
[email protected]

Outdoor asphalt racing on Saturday & Sunday. They also offer a nitro Trans Am class. See website or contact Ray for rules or specifics.

North Carolina

Carolina Touring Car Series
5101K Stoney Pond Lane
Charlotte, North Carolina 28227
980-322-5450
[email protected]

Outdoor asphalt racing. The Carolina Touring Car Series hosts 9 races per year. Vintage Trans Am runs under the USVTA banner.

Fayetteville Model Racing Club FMRC
5701 Yadkin Road
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28302
910-322-3103

Sunday outdoor racing on asphalt.

Ohio

Classic RC Raceways and Hobbies
1994 E Waterloo RD.
Akron, Ohio 44312
330-733-6400
Fax: 330-733-6400
[email protected]

Sunday and Thursday indoor carpet racing.

The Gate
21411 Southgate Park Blvd.
Maple Heights, Ohio 44137
330-819-8689
[email protected]

Indoor carpet racing on Saturdays. Only Corally Jack the Gripper traction compound allowed.

Tennessee

Music City RC Speedway
7000 Westbelt Dr.
Nashville, Tennessee 37209

Outdoor asphalt racing on Sundays. Track runs 6-cell NiMh or 2S LiPo with 27t brushed or 17.5 brushless motors.

Thunder RC Raceway
810 Cherokee Ave
Nashville, Tennessee 37207
615-851-1876
[email protected]

Indoor carpet racing on Wednesday evenings. Track runs 6-cell NiMh or 2S LiPo with 27t brushed or 17.5 brushless motors.

Washington

Seattle Indoor Raceway
Note: Currently offering only silvercan/6-cell/LiPo option
7633 S. 180th St.
Kent, Washington 98032
425-251-6119
[email protected]

Races are Saturday afternoon starting at 4:00pm, opens at 9:00am. See website for detailed rule package, schedule, dates and hours.

Wisconsin

Trackside Hobbies & Raceway
Note: Currently offering only 27t brushed motor option
3635 North 124th Street
Brookfield, Wisconsin 53005
262-783-4699
[email protected]

Races are Saturday afternoon and Tuesday nights. Only Corally Jack the Gripper traction compound allowed. See website for detailed schedule, dates and hours.

Victory R/C Hobbies & Speedway
705 N Military Ave
Green Bay, Wisconsin 54303
Toll Free 866-231-4933
[email protected]

Race Days are Thursdays and Saturdays
See website for detailed schedule, dates and hours.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #2136
Tech Champion

IM DONE...YUMMY
Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #2137
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post

3rd...for the guys that started this class..it doesnt matter if you change the rules or not...Im not asking you to...I asked if there was room to do so...a simple NO...would have worked fine....Im looking out for my two tracks..our racers and race director....NONE of them care about running USVTA, but I do like giving the TPTB..props...yall did a great job with this class of r/c racing.. but if you think that there isnt any room for improvement?...you are wrong

pss...do some push-ups
There have been several evolutions of the Specifications over the last year. Well, actually less than 10 montha ago. The first full regional specifications appeared on the web on October 30th, 2007 @ 10:17 pm. http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...ing-class.html

The USVTA used these specifications and evolved them for National use on Jan 3rd, 2008. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...am-racing.html

Doug knows the best way to kill a growing class is change the rules too frequently. It can be very discouraging to get your car all set-up to specs, and have them change next week making your race program obsolete.

All the changes to the specs have been well thought out and carefully metered by the USVTA. (good job Doug)

There is room for improvement. The change to allow Lipo was planned well in advance, but held back for the correct timing for the growth of USVTA. The formula has to be within the spirit of the class, without major artificial limits in order to help grow the class.

I don't post here much, but I do lurk.

IMO, questions are allways welcome. But when i see the same guy posting his "question" multiple times with additional persuasive comments attempting to steer the specifications in their way, quite frankly, it gets old and looks like whining to me.

It's simple, The USVTA specifications work because they were developed by racers, with racers and track owners involved evry step of the way. (good job again Doug)

Keep the sincere questions coming. That is how the class will grow. But please, if you don't like the answer, take it like a man and live with it.

The USVTA is a National organization. Local tracks need to do what they need to do keep the hobby alive in their back yard.

Now, let's all have fun together!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #2138
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

its cool. ill keep my racing the vta class at a local level and save my road trips for more off road races. The "atmosphere" seems to be a little nicer for off road for travel races.

and by the way...i do follow your "rules" to a T.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 08-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #2139
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MPH View Post
There have been several evolutions of the Specifications over the last year. Well, actually less than 10 montha ago. The first full regional specifications appeared on the web on October 30th, 2007 @ 10:17 pm. http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...ing-class.html

The USVTA used these specifications and evolved them for National use on Jan 3rd, 2008. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...am-racing.html

Doug knows the best way to kill a growing class is change the rules too frequently. It can be very discouraging to get your car all set-up to specs, and have them change next week making your race program obsolete.

All the changes to the specs have been well thought out and carefully metered by the USVTA. (good job Doug)

There is room for improvement. The change to allow Lipo was planned well in advance, but held back for the correct timing for the growth of USVTA. The formula has to be within the spirit of the class, without major artificial limits in order to help grow the class.

I don't post here much, but I do lurk.

IMO, questions are allways welcome. But when i see the same guy posting his "question" multiple times with additional persuasive comments attempting to steer the specifications in their way, quite frankly, it gets old and looks like whining to me.

It's simple, The USVTA specifications work because they were developed by racers, with racers and track owners involved evry step of the way. (good job again Doug)

Keep the sincere questions coming. That is how the class will grow. But please, if you don't like the answer, take it like a man and live with it.

The USVTA is a National organization. Local tracks need to do what they need to do keep the hobby alive in their back yard.

Now, let's all have fun together!
THANK YOU...That is what I was looking for...I will continue to enjoy this class locally and beyond...and if I make it to your city I will run your rules...thanks again
Old 08-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #2140
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

What kind of batteries is everyone running in this class?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #2141
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcstrokr View Post
What kind of batteries is everyone running in this class?
4cell packs here

Mostly Slingshot EP4200 - but my "best" packs are older Slingshot IB4200
Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #2142
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc Driver View Post
Well I took the plunge and bought the body, rims, tires...I am officially trying this out! Looks fun, can't wait...when I get my 68 Camaro/Tamiya all done up Ill shoot a Picture...any Georgia/Florida guys racing these at their tracks...shoot me a email...so I can find out a close place to race.

[email protected]

Paul
You wont be sorry. Its a great class. We are running it on Sundays in Calhoun North GA. Look in the Georgia racing thread.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #2143
Tech Elite

We had an interesting Sunday of racing yesterday. At our club racing there's about a dozen of us running TA. It's been pretty much the same racers for a while now so we know each other pretty well. Yesterday we did some experimenting for the fun of it. I bring this up because someone here was asking about using LiPo for TA but not the USVTA rules of only a Novak 21.5.

Two things we did different yesterday:

1. We tried using Tamiya silver can motor and a Lipo and gearing for the straightaway ( about 100feet) it so it wasn't any faster than a brushed 27T with 4 cells. It was an interesting experiment. What I saw was it was a little faster in the infield but not a huge difference. Overall the racer running it wasn't really any faster or slower than when he runs a well tuned stock motor.

2. Just to see what would happen, our regular top racers who win place and show ran their normal power plants but we let the other 8 or 9 guys who usually are behind those three in races put any motor they wanted into their TA cars but still use 4 cells for the day's main race ( 11 cars on the track at once for an 8 minute race). Actually a few guys even put in a 7.4 Lipo. There were 13.5's, 19turns, and even one 12 turn on the track at the same time as other USVTA power plants. Interesting outcome was that none of normal intermediate drivers, like myself, ended up winning because they had appreciably more RPM and torque in their cars. What I saw happening was a car with a 13.5 or a 12 turn would murder a normal TA car on the sweeper and straights but would fall to pieces in the infield and end up being marshalled and/or stuck on a barrier for a while as the slower better driven vehicles would pass them up.

I (an intermediate driver) personally left my car with the 4 cells and stock motor in it just to see if the guys I usually compete with would do much better than me. Turns out I beat them all by about a lap.

So...I'm not sure that this "proves" anything but it sure was fun and interesting to try something different on a club racing Sunday.

Next week we won't have any shenanigans and just run normal regular USTVA rules.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #2144
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

USVTA Top Gun race at Primetime Hobbies:

Keith Sawyer TQ's but strips out a spur gear on the 3rd corner and is out of the race early. This leaves Robert Dirla in the lead with Danny Sawyer chasing close behind. Robert slowly begins to put some distance between himself and Danny. And by the four minute mark, Robert has stretched out a comfortable lead and there is a close battle between Chad Sharp and Myron for the 4th spot. Robert continues to stretch out his lead and has his sights set on Danny to put the whole field down a lap. Coming into the last corner, Robert closes the gap on Danny and drives straight through his door to complete the pass. However, Danny comes back on the inside and it's a drag race to the finish.

But hey, dont take my word for it...
Check out the VIDEO!
(youtube totally killed the quality)
Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #2145
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice video Keith, just wish I could have been in it more than the first 5 seconds. I think I might have had something for that Durla guy LOL
Closed Thread