R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #1861
Tech Elite
 
rcracenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WIS
Posts: 3,363
Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Check the rules page of the website... they have been legal with the Novak 21.5 for over a month now.
Thanks
__________________
____________________________________________
1 Corinthians 10:31 ...whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.
S&N Trackside Hobbies
Innovative Hobbies and Raceway
Clark RC race park
rcracenut is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #1862
Tech Elite
 
Flying Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ringgold, GA
Posts: 4,452
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Some of the pics from this weekends Top Gun VTA race at Primetime in Calhoun, GA. (theres alot)

12 cars signed up, 2 6 car races each heat (3 heats) then the B and A mains

http://www.brooksphotodesign.net/RC%...VTA/index.html


and we all had numbers
__________________
MONKEY BUSINESS RACING
Flinging poo at a track near you! Winning hearts and minds everywhere!
www.graphicmonkeydesigns.com
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #1863
Tech Elite
 
chicagokenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,210
Default

Here's how it looks for an 18 car TA main race when your driver's stand only holds 8 comfortably. It was our 1st Annual Strictly RC Asphalt Assault, in Norridge IL, yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-17racers.jpg  
chicagokenji is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #1864
Tech Elite
 
chicagokenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,210
Default

For what it's worth.....for our big race some great driving talent attended and the first second and third place finishers were running this:

1st place, brushed stock motor, 4 cell
2nd place, 21.5 brushless, 7.4 LiPo
3rd place, brushed stock motor, 4 cell

My point being the USVTA association rules on motors and batteries work great and I wouldn't run another Trans AM event without following them.

I'll get the results of our event posted up later.
chicagokenji is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #1865
Tech Elite
 
Flying Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ringgold, GA
Posts: 4,452
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
For what it's worth.....for our big race some great driving talent attended and the first second and third place finishers were running this:

1st place, brushed stock motor, 4 cell
2nd place, 21.5 brushless, 7.4 LiPo
3rd place, brushed stock motor, 4 cell

My point being the USVTA association rules on motors and batteries work great and I wouldn't run another Trans AM event without following them.

I'll get the results of our event posted up later.
Yeah at our race this weekend there was a mix of the power plant options and I didnt see anyone with an unfair advantage power wise. All I saw was set up and driving style difference....which is what this is about. We were all legal and had a tech of the cars.

Only thing I dont agree with is the 4 cell thing cause someone tryign to get started in rc cause they see theis class isnt going to have the battery building knowledge really and would much rather be able to buy a 6 cell pack and be able to run. But who am I to argue right?
__________________
MONKEY BUSINESS RACING
Flinging poo at a track near you! Winning hearts and minds everywhere!
www.graphicmonkeydesigns.com
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #1866
Tech Elite
 
chicagokenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
Only thing I dont agree with is the 4 cell thing cause someone tryign to get started in rc cause they see theis class isnt going to have the battery building knowledge really and would much rather be able to buy a 6 cell pack and be able to run. But who am I to argue right?
At our Sunday races I've seen rookie drivers who have built a TA car use 6 cell stick packs in their TA cars because our rookie rules are race what you brung. It's absolutely the wrong thing for them. Way too fast for a newbie driver. When the same driver installs a 4 cell pack instead of a six they'll get 4-6 more laps for a 5 minute race because they aren't marshalled as much.

If you run a race program and want more rookie and new drivers you should build sets of four cell packs and have them available to hand out to your new racers. Everyone and their brother have 6 cell packs of GP3300's laying around. Knock a couple of the cells off, cycle them a few times and leave them on a table at your track for the new guys to keep and use.
chicagokenji is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #1867
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,567
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

the race was fun and a great experience...but for me I like the 17.5/27t and lipo/6 cell....we will be have FDR restictions soon...but I think that whatever is best for your racers as a whole is great and I hope to see some of you again...and just remember if you go to someone elses track that you play by their rules and NO whining...lol

when I return I will be happy to run 4 cell...thanks alot guys had a blast...hope some of you make it up here for a race or two....

TRANS-AM....3-6-2
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/OTT/1UP
Apex Raceway and Hobbies
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #1868
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,567
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
At our Sunday races I've seen rookie drivers who have built a TA car use 6 cell stick packs in their TA cars because our rookie rules are race what you brung. It's absolutely the wrong thing for them. Way too fast for a newbie driver. When the same driver installs a 4 cell pack instead of a six they'll get 4-6 more laps for a 5 minute race because they aren't marshalled as much.

If you run a race program and want more rookie and new drivers you should build sets of four cell packs and have them available to hand out to your new racers. Everyone and their brother have 6 cell packs of GP3300's laying around. Knock a couple of the cells off, cycle them a few times and leave them on a table at your track for the new guys to keep and use.
thats awsome if you have it that way...able to give out packs like that..but thats not the case everywhere....most of us have been running lipo for a year..and to go back and buy packs....yikes...not going to happen....we do have some 12th scale guys that go to all the "BIG" races that can loan some out...but they dont have enough for our crowd...point is do whats best..but dont put down other tracks cause they arent completely "OFFICIAL"...you will put a negative mark on the TA class all together...if I come to an outta town track I know Im playing by your rules...and thats kool....hope everyone continues to grow in this class and hope to race against some of you real soon....

fyi...the 21.5....90% of us already had 17.5 or 13.5 as that was considered stock or SS....I run both 27t and 17.5 and am having a great time...cya
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/OTT/1UP
Apex Raceway and Hobbies
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #1869
Tech Addict
 
MIcro-T Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: McHenry IL
Posts: 540
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MIcro-T Master
Default

Hey guys, sorry to sorta butt in, but i need some help/advice.

I have just gotten a xxx-s to convert to trans am racing.
I have gotten the correct vintage rims and tires, and i am planning on going with the hi camero body.
I am wounderng what the most popular power setup is.
I know that the choices are meant to be very similar in performance, but is there a better choice bettween the 3?

Also, and advice to an on-road newbie would be great!

Thanks much!
__________________
COW RC Sponsored Driver
Associated SC10 4X4
MIcro-T Master is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #1870
Tech Master
 
slakr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,712
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Me personally I'm a BL/LiPo guy all the way and here is what I use...

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...oducts_id=1586

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...oducts_id=1727

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...oducts_id=1660

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...oducts_id=1989
__________________
TLR 22 4.0, 22-4 2.0, 8IGHT & 8IGHT-E 4.0~XRAY XB2C~AE TC7.1
Tim aka "slakr" ROAR No. 3-119960
slakr is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #1871
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,211
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIcro-T Master View Post
I am wounderng what the most popular power setup is. I know that the choices are meant to be very similar in performance, but is there a better choice bettween the 3?
The brushed setup has proven to be solid IF the motor is a strong one (and regularly maintained) and you have GOOD high voltage batteries. If you aren't interested in cutting comms, zapping magnets and babysitting NiMh cells, look to the 21.5/LiPo combo. IMO, it's the best option for just about everyone.

It will allow you to work on car setup and driving, and not motors and batteries.
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #1872
Tech Addict
 
MIcro-T Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: McHenry IL
Posts: 540
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MIcro-T Master
Default

Ok, thanks for all the help!
I think i will go with the brushed setup for now only because i already have a good 27t motor, and i dont have the money yet to go out and buy a lipo, balencer, and bl motor combo.
I will definatly consider the bl options in the future though.
Again, thanks for all the help, i greatly appreciate it

One last question (its probably dumb) can wd40 be used as a tire cleaner/prep?
__________________
COW RC Sponsored Driver
Associated SC10 4X4
MIcro-T Master is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #1873
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,211
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIcro-T Master View Post
One last question (its probably dumb) can wd40 be used as a tire cleaner/prep?
Tire prep is left to what the home track allows. Usually, just cleaning them with Simple Green or Ronsonal lighter fluid (Naptha) is enough to prep them. On carpet, Paragon works fine as a tire sauce.
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #1874
Tech Addict
 
MIcro-T Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: McHenry IL
Posts: 540
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MIcro-T Master
Default

Ok, thaks for the info!
Good thing i got plenty of simple green then.
__________________
COW RC Sponsored Driver
Associated SC10 4X4
MIcro-T Master is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #1875
Tech Elite
 
Flying Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ringgold, GA
Posts: 4,452
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIcro-T Master View Post
Hey guys, sorry to sorta butt in, but i need some help/advice.

I have just gotten a xxx-s to convert to trans am racing.
I have gotten the correct vintage rims and tires, and i am planning on going with the hi camero body.
I am wounderng what the most popular power setup is.
I know that the choices are meant to be very similar in performance, but is there a better choice bettween the 3?

Also, and advice to an on-road newbie would be great!

Thanks much!
Im running a CO27 brushed motor on 4 cell EP 4600's. i picked all of em up used pretty cheap. if I figure this on road thing out and start doing better Ill switch to the BL and lipo for the ease of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
Tire prep is left to what the home track allows. Usually, just cleaning them with Simple Green or Ronsonal lighter fluid (Naptha) is enough to prep them. On carpet, Paragon works fine as a tire sauce.

Probably a dumb question but what does simple green do to the tires, other then clean em of course. ive always used it to clean my off road tires and never noticed any effects...does it make them tacky or something? I need more rear traction is why i ask and "saucing" them didnt help me sunday..actually hurt more then anything I think.
__________________
MONKEY BUSINESS RACING
Flinging poo at a track near you! Winning hearts and minds everywhere!
www.graphicmonkeydesigns.com
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia Vintage Trans Am Racing shadow102 Georgia Racing 725 02-24-2012 09:56 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Thursday Vintage Trans Am racing at Victory in Green Bay Brian F Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 13 05-10-2008 08:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net