R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #1711

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

correct sir, thats what i said. better to run them then to biatch about them.

R
Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #1712
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Parma also sells "Drag" and "Offroad" sponsor sheets. Both have a ton of good decals, and the drag one has some very period correct stuff.

21.5/lipo is looking good too. More cars at our track are getting competitive due to this combo.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 07-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #1713
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

ok, so let me get this straight... a guy shows up with a completely legal powertrain/motor/battery/body/tire/wheel combo, but if he has no # on his car, and a 1-color paint scheme, you wouldnt let him run? interesting... i suppose you have enough in the class, and dont need any more.
that will be the quickest way to kill a class, not changing power combos every few months.

and before anyone asks, we have run this class here, and i enjoy it immensely. i have a Panther Pink Cuda with the AAR stripes, and a silver over black Camaro, both with numbers on them.

i dont mean anything by the statements, other than from my previous experience with race directing, you can very easily "spec" your way out of a class... we had an "open oval" class, mainly applying to the bodies, running either 19T or 10.5 brushless, mainly full of TC3s and 4s. a few guys show up with TA05s, run a few more laps, then its decided the class is "shaft drive only". guess how many run the class now? -0-.

Team Novak

Last edited by Turbonium; 07-20-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #1714
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
That's too bad you feel this way. Unfortunately, it's that attitude that is killing every other class of R/C out there. It permeates through racing like a wild virus, and it really hurts the good classes, as a whole.

Track owners can do whatever they want, but in the long run, it will only hurt them if they haven't figured that out already. When the class looses it's look and feel, as well as the true point of the formula, then the widespread appeal fades and disappears completely. Then what you are left with is a class just like the restóboring, bland and uninteresting.

If I were the track owner, I wouldn't let you run under your own made-up rules. I'd turn your one race entry away at the sake of keeping the class strong and inviting to new racers and old ones looking for something they used to have. Or, I'd tell you that you had to have numbers, and you had to have a period-correct paint job, or you had to have the proper wheels and tires to run in the class. Unfortunately, many track owners are focused on keeping the lights on for that weekend, and not keeping the track open long-term, and most won't make that choice.

If everyone can't follow the given rules, then all you have is chaos, and that benefits no one.

Just my opinion.

You say that just because I dont agree with you. Just because I like something different than you, but my attitude isnt killing anything. My attitude is good, and I am friendly toward all racers. Both the established and the new. I enjoy the race. Im enthusiastic about it, and my car is legal according to your very own rules. Im not crazy about the big round spot on the side of the car. Or of any numbers at all. I respect the effort you have put in to making this class equal across the board, but I dont think you should have the right to be the paint job and sticker Nazi.

Touring cars all look the same, and have those stupid looking wheels. I think this class is catching on because the cars look like, well cars. Its also a break from the blistering fast pace of the TC class. Its something for the newer racer to get into without facing the wolves. But you could have picked a differrent tire to be spec. You could have chosen different shells. You could have made this class anything different than touring and it would have still been successful.

I can live with the power plant rules. Even the wheel and tire rule although HPI makes the same compound in a regular sized tire. Body rules fine, but when you tell me you would turn me away because I dont have a number on the side of my car, or a pack of Holley STP stickers. Well thats when your attitude is messing up the class.

"It is highly preferred that bodies are detailed in race type livery in periodcorrect
paint schemes. Fluorescent colors, wild graphics, chromes and non-period correct paint schemes are frowned upon. All cars should have a number on the hood, both doors and trunklid."

Preference assumes a real or imagined "choice" between alternatives.

A frown is a facial expression used to indicate displeasure, or disapproval. It is a far cry from a disqualification.

Should indicates a reccomendation, not a requirement.

All I did was say the way I would have it, if I could. You go off and give me credit for wrecking the hobby. Im not running by my own rules. Im running within the parameters set by your official USVTA rules. At least I was until now.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #1715
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium View Post
ok, so let me get this straight... a guy shows up with a completely legal powertrain/motor/battery/body/tire/wheel combo, but if he has no # on his car, and a 1-color paint scheme, you wouldnt let him run? interesting... i suppose you have enough in the class, and dont need any more.
that will be the quickest way to kill a class, not changing power combos every few months.

and before anyone asks, we have run this class here, and i enjoy it immensely. i have a Panther Pink Cuda with the AAR stripes, and a silver over black Camaro, both with numbers on them.

i dont mean anything by the statements, other than from my previous experience with race directing, you can very easily "spec" your way out of a class... we had an "open oval" class, mainly applying to the bodies, running either 19T or 10.5 brushless, mainly full of TC3s and 4s. a few guys show up with TA05s, run a few more laps, then its decided the class is "shaft drive only". guess how many run the class now? -0-.
Uh...a couple questions.

1) Who said "no 1-color paint jobs? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no one" as there were a lot of single color paint jobs "in the day". Just nothing fluorescent.

2) Are you REALLY going to compare requiring someone to put numbers on their car with a situation where someone invested in a chassis and THEN are told they can't run it, that they have to invest in something else? To quote Samuel L. Jackson, "...not the same ballpark? Not even the same <fricken> league." That is an extremist argument at best...you may have a future in talk radio.

A HUGE part of the appeal to this class for the folks who created it and MOST who have adopted it is the visual aspect, something that has been sorely lacking in RC for some time. In fact I saw someone above mention about bringing back the rule requiring a driver figure--I remember when that was a ROAR requirement. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I know Andrew at HPI was talking about doing a vac driver/interior tray at one point...

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 07-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #1716
Tech Adept

You are seriously tripping. This is obviously not 'racing', if numbers and paint colors are SO important, and fast guys have to be penalized for being a good driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
That's too bad you feel this way. Unfortunately, it's that attitude that is killing every other class of R/C out there. It permeates through racing like a wild virus, and it really hurts the good classes, as a whole.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #1717
Tech Adept

apexspeed, we have already had the numbers discussion on our local thread.
Half the guys that have invested in this class got really pissed off when someone said diqualified for lack of numbers. If half the guys quit, that would leave about 3 or 4 cars. yes, enough to race but not what it could be.
I have run tc for just over a year. i hate the wheels, i hate the body. but i have figured out that to be competitive with areo and traction that this is what is best. I went to the first t/a race, those guys where having a blast.
i went out and got 3 bodies, 4 set's of tires and 2 motor's so i to could have some fun. then came disqualified. then came usvta rules change, car's should have to car's must have number's.
In our area racer's are hit and miss, our track owner can't afford to turn disqualify someone. if he did, that one could probably take have the other's with him. (local track close's due to none support). personally i don't care about the numbers paint, or even power plant's, as said earlier in thread. i want to have fun. I can't pay bills playing with r/c cars, therefore this is a hobby (Fun) for me. you my friend say that others are killing this class.
look in the mirror brother, class killing started there. if i had to deal with this in T/C. I would quit r/c all together. George Davis, Marietta, Ga.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #1718
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Who is forcing you guys to run the USVTA rules? If you don't like the rules don't use them. If the racers at your track have an issue with getting numbers or like a wild paintjob on their 'Cuda, then as a group, speak to your Race Director and ask to have the rules changed or at least voted upon. If the numbers issue is as rampant as you make it out to be then it should be no problem getting this rule amended.

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #1719
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Wow... this has turned ugly... please stop.

I think what is killing RC Racing is internet forums.

IMO I like the USVTA rules verbatim including the suggestions and recommendations. But that is only my opinion.

If the LHS, racetrack or club needs to deviate from the "official" rules, make exceptions or addendums, so be it. Do it and keep the racers racing. But I don't think it is necessary to initiate a debate on the internet for all to see.

This is just what I think; flame me if you must... I have thick skin.
Or better yet... send a PM. Then the whole world doesn't have to see all the complaining.

Last edited by slakr; 07-21-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #1720
Tech Champion

The way the rules are worded, there is room for the racer not to use the numbers. Locally some of us are running without them. Others really like the complete VTA look. The thing is we all like the look of the cars so much that we are going and painting up new shells after just a few scratches. Whether you like numers or not. The same people who used to drive a TC until the shell came apart. So basically our local race looks like a VTA where a couple guys pulled in off the street and raced.

We are racing and we are happy down here in Georgia, stickers or not.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #1721
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini g View Post
apexspeed, we have already had the numbers discussion on our local thread.
Half the guys that have invested in this class got really pissed off when someone said diqualified for lack of numbers. If half the guys quit, that would leave about 3 or 4 cars.
I saw the results of that discussion yesterday...lets just say there will be a car running out there next weekend with 4 different numbers on it just to make somebody happy lol

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #1722
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
lets just say there will be a car running out there next weekend with 4 different numbers on it just to make somebody happy lol
Reminds me of the Bears QB McMahon when they told him he couldn't wear a headband with the Nike symbol on it, so he wore one with the NFL commissioners name on it.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #1723
Tech Adept

hey mike, slakr, I don't have a problem with the rule's at all. i like this class a lot. My problem starts with people accusing other's of killing a class and flamming them. I speak my peace on forum and get thing's worked out here. instead of at track where the new people are. Most new people don't know about this forum. When i go to track, it's about fun and being around other's that enjoy r/c. I am all for talking smack, that just add's to the fun. but the tone of some, does not sound like smack to me. It sounds like a dictatorship, my way or the highway. apexspeed has done a great job promting this class.
hat's off for that, but this class is just starting. I know that rules have to be in place from the begining to get it on it's feet. that's kool, kick back a year and watch this baby grow, then next year inforce rule's period.

George,
Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #1724
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Well first time im disqualified for a paint job or something non-critical like that is the last time ill darken that track. end of story. So not only would you lose that days race fee...you lose it every to every other weekend for years to come....adds up. and im not the only person with this way of thinking when it comes to running a toy car around a track.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #1725
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakr View Post
Wow... this has turned ugly... please stop.

I think what is killing RC Racing is internet forums.

IMO I like the USVTA rules verbatim including the suggestions and recommendations. But that is only my opinion.

If the LHS, racetrack or club needs to deviate from the "official" rules, make exceptions or addendums, so be it. Do it and keep the racers racing. But I don't think it is necessary to initiate a debate on the internet for all to see.

This is just what I think; flame me if you must... I have thick skin.
I agree with you completley. You cant hear tone of voice on a forum and so its easy to feel attacked. Then you feel like you have to defend yourself.

Doug I am sorry if you feel like I crapped on your class. In the end I would run the stickers if it was that or not running, but I wouldnt be happy about it. I also would probably run a straight black car, with no thought for the paint job at all. Just that and the number.