Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #1696
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post

Also does anyone have any USVTA stickers? car size and tool box size?
contact wallstreet here on RCTech
Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #1697
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
Is there a cheaper way to try trans am? I would like to try it but am not willing to fork out the at least $100 for body, tires, motor, rims, etc. for something I may not like.
The short answer would be "when have you EVER gotten to try a new class (with your own equipment) for anywhere NEARLY as low as a $100 investment?" I sure as hell can't think of where that might have been.

The more involved answer would be that there is no solution but to spend SOME money, how much depends on what you've already got. This class was really (originally) designed around what most racers had in their junk drawer.

You've GOT to have (or have access to) the proper wheels and tires, anything else and you STILL won't know whether you like it or not. You also need to come up with a compliant power package, though with the current 549 options available now you should be able to come up with something. If you've got NiMH batteries left, break 6-cells into 4-cell packs--this class is PERFECT for packs that have lost their "edge" for competitive 1/12 or TC racing. Surely you (or a buddy) have an old brushed speedo and a ROAR Stock motor sitting in a box somewhere?

The only area where I'd say there's some "wiggle room" for a new driver would be that, in our club at least, I'd allow someone to pull the wing off one of their TC bodies and see what they thought--for ONE race. It would look like ass out there, but the driving experience would be close enough as long as they're running a compliant power package and the correct wheels and tires. At least this sort of allowance saves you the $25 for a body up front.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #1698
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Yeah your not going to find any class you can spend less then this with using all your own stuff. I was totally against on road racing personally before finding this class. Hell if you dont like it resell the stuff or change motor, boddy and wheels to run another class. sell what you dont use. its really not a lose lose situation if you dont like it really. this class is growing alot it seems. few speed bumps along the way but when arent they there?
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #1699
Tech Adept

Flying Monkey, our friends at Traxxas have a "decal sheet, racing sponsors" pn2514. It cost $3.00 at my lhs and is pretty close size wise for 1/10th, and a lot of the names were around at the time of TA.
Laterz,Bob
Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #1700
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi nut View Post
Flying Monkey, our friends at Traxxas have a "decal sheet, racing sponsors" pn2514. It cost $3.00 at my lhs and is pretty close size wise for 1/10th, and a lot of the names were around at the time of TA.
Laterz,Bob
yup thats exactly what i was looking for..thank you.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #1701
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Is there a cheaper way to try trans am? I would like to try it but am not willing to fork out the at least $100 for body, tires, motor, rims, etc. for something I may not like.

If you hang out and watch, someone might offer you to try theirs. My buddy put a spare together to have as a loner.

You could also try dropping a battery pack down to a 4 cell and try to run with the VTA group. Running in a pack of three or four, banging doors, and no one crashing for 5 minutes is very fun.

There's also such a demand for the VTA stuff, if you bought it and wanted to unload it, you should make out pretty well.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Do it and you'll love it.

www.summitrcraceway.com
Old 07-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #1702
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Ok, here's my paint job. Don't laugh too hard. Never painted one and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and my hand isn't as steady.

Learned a few things, like next time hold the body over white paper, not a light when looking for over spray. Also, test fit pieces when laying out paint lines- that's why the lower rear quarter looks that way.

Anyway here it is.
Pretty good for your first one now go have fun
I played to rough with my "WOODY" and it broke!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #1703
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Spend $400 on a plane ticket and fly out here -- I'll let you race mine to try it out.

Seriously though, if your local club is anything like ours you should be able to find someone willing to let you have a go with their car.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #1704
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah your not going to find any class you can spend less then this with using all your own stuff. I was totally against on road racing personally before finding this class. Hell if you dont like it resell the stuff or change motor, boddy and wheels to run another class. sell what you dont use. its really not a lose lose situation if you dont like it really. this class is growing alot it seems. few speed bumps along the way but when arent they there?

ditto..we ran our Trans am class today and had 25+ entries...we had alot of fun...I didnt win but with A,B,&C mains who cares about winning...I hope everybody had a great time and cya in 2weeks....dont 4 get Music City Championship is coming up.....

also most power plants are 17.5bl or 27b..and 6 cell of 7.4 lipo..and in 90 degree heat...can you say go down 5 teeth on the pinion...cya
Old 07-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #1705
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
anyone know where I can look for a sticker sheet of just the "go fast" stickers? My Pegasus body didnt come with any at all and I dont need the number circles right now cause mine are painted on. But would like some of the manufacturer stickers for the fenders.

Also does anyone have any USVTA stickers? car size and tool box size?

On a side not wheres the line of the "Period correct paint job"? Like mine for example follows the "lines" but has the marbling in it to make it personal to me. If I was to build a T/A car it would look like what Ive got to run. But someone else may not see it that way. Just curious.
Check out the decal section on mcallister rc bodys website. They have a cool fender decal sheet with all the msd.ect.ect type stickers
Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #1706
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

If anyone is intrested i have full sheets of USVTA stickers, and half sheets of USVTA number balls that are pre numbered and also include a few USVTA logos as well

The full sheet is $10 shipped and the half sheet is $5 shipped

If you are intrested in the number sheets please let me know what numbers as i have most numbers from 1 to 80 .... and currently have 1 of each number sheet for now.

Also these stickers are a great quality sticker and are diecut also . These are top notch quality. Please PM me if your intrested

** i will edit this post and add pictures... i am currently having issues uploading them **
Old 07-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #1707
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to dodgeboy Send a message via Yahoo to dodgeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Ok, here's my paint job. Don't laugh too hard. Never painted one and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and my hand isn't as steady.

Learned a few things, like next time hold the body over white paper, not a light when looking for over spray. Also, test fit pieces when laying out paint lines- that's why the lower rear quarter looks that way.

Anyway here it is.
Hey there I think you did a great job painting it
Pm or email for info
Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #1708

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

this is what kills every movement. people whine and want special treatment or exceptions when they cant except the status quo. if u dont like it, then fine, move on. but honestly i havent been runnin however, as said above, you go and watch and see where the really fun, relaxed racing and folks havin a good time lies. well lets just say its not in 'sedan'.

spend time running, not biatchin.

R
Old 07-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #1709
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to dodgeboy Send a message via Yahoo to dodgeboy

if any one is in the area and wants to come out and run Saturday Aug 2 feel free

BOBS HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
67 S Broadway
Pitman NJ 08071
[email protected]
Pm or email for info
Old 07-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #1710
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post

spend time running, not biatchin.

R
this hobby is about runnin the rc cars......not bitching about them?
Brooksphotodesign.net
Closed Thread