R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #1681
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this i making want to get my old traxxas car out and put it back together. but noone close to where im at . oh well. guess i just keep racing off road.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #1682
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo View Post
it's called evolution. Masami and marc R never complained about the bodies.
...because they're racing in classes where the whole point is to go as fast as possible without exception. There is also another point to VTA which goes way over your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo View Post
Ok you win. have it your way. nobody runs this class in my area anyway.
Then why are you here busting our balls about it? You don't have anything better to do than flame people on topics you're not even involved in? Typical troll. Go away.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #1683
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

and to think all I did was post a picture of my car body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
See? It's ok because his other cars are really ugly, too!

This is called Trans Am peer pressure and harassment. All future spray bombs and no-detail paint jobs are subjected to same or worse treatment. Public humiliation is likely and enjoyed by all. Stonings are optional. All rights reserved.
wouldn't be the first time it's a good thing I know and race with most of you. I think I owe you all a good hack next time I put it on the track... and you'll never know the difference from my regular driving.... give them the pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
To each his own....but man what a waste of good lexan.....
hmmm that's what everybody says about all my bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
Nash's paint scheme isn't that far off of vintage... it just looks like a color blind attempt at the Donohue Javelin.
did I say I was blind well close if I take my glasses off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySocko View Post
I'll just have to take the Firebird down to Nash's track and put a whoopin' on him. That'll get him in line with the rules.

Just kidding Robert.
your killing me socko If I had that firebird front end I would paint one up proper I just figured it's a camaro so why waste time painting it. I want my bird back... rip 92 v6 5 speed
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow — never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long — you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #1684
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
wouldn't be the first time it's a good thing I know and race with most of you. I think I owe you all a good hack next time I put it on the track... and you'll never know the difference from my regular driving.... give them the pimp
You'd fit right in here in Illinois. Chrome shoehorn...
Old 07-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #1685
Tech Elite

ran with a few of you guys up in dekalb at IRP back in 2005 I think. and a couple times over the years in Carbondale also. I got Eli to punt Drew Ellis in a heat race to bump him out of the "A" and me to stay in the "A" at a club race... that's where "sorry about your luck Drew" came from it's cool when you can get someone else to punt for you....
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow — never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long — you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:43 AM   #1686
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im not a fan of the classic vintage paint jobs. I dont really like the Touring car bodies with the crazy graphics either. I like the HPI vintage shells painted up like resto-mod muscle cars, so thats the way I paint them. Thats how they show up to race. My car shows up like this except I do use the HPI wheels and tires. The paint is not so vintage and I have a carbon fiber hood.

I know you have your rules and if I ever wanted to go to a large sanctioned event, then I would probably bear the expense of making a car conform to the letter. Around here its more a matter of wether or not Tommy wants my entry fee.

I know you are going for a certain look and my car doesnt quite fall into that category, but this or something like it, is what I will run until my local track refuses my entry. Frankly as long as I am compliant in chassis,and power train, and use a cosmetic or very small wing and any HPI d-compound tire. I think I should be left alone.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #1687
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Im not a fan of the classic vintage paint jobs.
Actually, I like the Cuda body a lot

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 07-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #1688
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Around here its more a matter of wether or not Tommy wants my entry fee.

I know you are going for a certain look and my car doesnt quite fall into that category, but this or something like it, is what I will run until my local track refuses my entry. Frankly as long as I am compliant in chassis,and power train, and use a cosmetic or very small wing and any HPI d-compound tire. I think I should be left alone.
That's too bad you feel this way. Unfortunately, it's that attitude that is killing every other class of R/C out there. It permeates through racing like a wild virus, and it really hurts the good classes, as a whole.

Track owners can do whatever they want, but in the long run, it will only hurt them if they haven't figured that out already. When the class looses it's look and feel, as well as the true point of the formula, then the widespread appeal fades and disappears completely. Then what you are left with is a class just like the rest—boring, bland and uninteresting.

If I were the track owner, I wouldn't let you run under your own made-up rules. I'd turn your one race entry away at the sake of keeping the class strong and inviting to new racers and old ones looking for something they used to have. Or, I'd tell you that you had to have numbers, and you had to have a period-correct paint job, or you had to have the proper wheels and tires to run in the class. Unfortunately, many track owners are focused on keeping the lights on for that weekend, and not keeping the track open long-term, and most won't make that choice.

If everyone can't follow the given rules, then all you have is chaos, and that benefits no one.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #1689
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I finally got to run my VTA yesturday at the East Coast Touring Car Championships at Jackson R/C Raceway, NJ. WHAT A BLAST!

We had both brushed and bl, which made for some interesting battles on that track layout. For the last 4 minutes, there was more yelling and cheering during our main than any of the others. Something about the pace of the races that builds suspense better than the typical TC races. And holly close ass finish! Most of us were on the same lap for the first few minutes. three of us went to the last couple minutes on the same lap, battling door to door. The 1st and 2nd place cars were still battling with 20 seconds to go after 8 minutes of door banging. We definitely got our money's worth!

Big thanks to Ray Murray of South Jersey Cost Controlled Racing for raising VTA awareness in the MD/DE/PA/NJ/NY/CT area. He's got a travelling race circuit going for VTA that goes to everything from big trophy races (like this one) to classic car shows. He's got a mailing list in this thread for anyone who'd like to run VTA on the east coast.

Another big thanks to those of you who've built the rules for this class. It works. That's all that matters. Thank you. I'm getting pictures from the event as soon as possible.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #1690
Tech Elite

Thanks Greg, and congratz on your vintage win!!!

Greg was right on point when he said that the vintage main got the most cheering near the end of the 8 minute main! It was a classic Ford vs. Chevy battle, and had the crowd cheering for their favorite!

We did run the track backwards for the mains, and looked like that challenge in itself, made for the most fun of the event!

Here are some pics of our first USVTA race....enJoy

We only had seven vintage cars, but considering this was a Saturday race, and 90 minutes from my area, that was pretty good!

(Sundays are a better draw for racing around here)
Old 07-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #1691
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
I have a large stack of the original HPI meatball number sheets here and you can have a few for free. All I ask is that you cover postage, as I have already had a few envelopes returned to me on my own postage dime.

PM me with your e-mail address and I will get a few sheets out on Monday to anyone who wants them. Postage has been under $1 for the large envelopes, but generally varies depending on location in the U.S. $1 via PayPal should cover it anywhere in the country. I'll drop you a PP invoice to the e-mail provided so I'll have all of your mailing info, too.

doug

Doug - you got a PM
Old 07-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #1692
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I finally got to run my VTA yesturday at the East Coast Touring Car Championships at Jackson R/C Raceway, NJ. WHAT A BLAST!

We had both brushed and bl, which made for some interesting battles on that track layout. For the last 4 minutes, there was more yelling and cheering during our main than any of the others. Something about the pace of the races that builds suspense better than the typical TC races. And holly close ass finish! Most of us were on the same lap for the first few minutes. three of us went to the last couple minutes on the same lap, battling door to door. The 1st and 2nd place cars were still battling with 20 seconds to go after 8 minutes of door banging. We definitely got our money's worth!

Big thanks to Ray Murray of South Jersey Cost Controlled Racing for raising VTA awareness in the MD/DE/PA/NJ/NY/CT area. He's got a travelling race circuit going for VTA that goes to everything from big trophy races (like this one) to classic car shows. He's got a mailing list in this thread for anyone who'd like to run VTA on the east coast.

Another big thanks to those of you who've built the rules for this class. It works. That's all that matters. Thank you. I'm getting pictures from the event as soon as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Murray View Post
Thanks Greg, and congratz on your vintage win!!!

Greg was right on point when he said that the vintage main got the most cheering near the end of the 8 minute main! It was a classic Ford vs. Chevy battle, and had the crowd cheering for their favorite!

We did run the track backwards for the mains, and looked like that challenge in itself, made for the most fun of the event!

Here are some pics of our first USVTA race....enJoy

We only had seven vintage cars, but considering this was a Saturday race, and 90 minutes from my area, that was pretty good!

(Sundays are a better draw for racing around here)
MAN!! I AM SOOO FREAKIN' BUMMED THAT I MISSED THIS RACE

Well, I'll get my "vengence" at the Demo at Bob's on Aug 2nd
Old 07-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #1693
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ok, here's my paint job. Don't laugh too hard. Never painted one and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and my hand isn't as steady.

Learned a few things, like next time hold the body over white paper, not a light when looking for over spray. Also, test fit pieces when laying out paint lines- that's why the lower rear quarter looks that way.

Anyway here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-tran-am-rc-002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-tran-am-rc-003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-tran-am-rc-006.jpg  
Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #1694
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

anyone know where I can look for a sticker sheet of just the "go fast" stickers? My Pegasus body didnt come with any at all and I dont need the number circles right now cause mine are painted on. But would like some of the manufacturer stickers for the fenders.

Also does anyone have any USVTA stickers? car size and tool box size?

On a side not wheres the line of the "Period correct paint job"? Like mine for example follows the "lines" but has the marbling in it to make it personal to me. If I was to build a T/A car it would look like what Ive got to run. But someone else may not see it that way. Just curious.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 07-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #1695

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Is there a cheaper way to try trans am? I would like to try it but am not willing to fork out the at least $100 for body, tires, motor, rims, etc. for something I may not like.
Closed Thread