R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #1546
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hi guys-
A few of us in our club are getting a T/A class together. In the interest of getting it going as a fun and relatively cheap class we're deviating from the established rules a bit and I'm looking for opinions. The handful of us kicking it off basically want to use older touring cars we have around (TC3, TB-02, TT-01) and the same 6-cell packs or small lipos we run in our other race cars to avoid having to get a bunch of new stuff. The correct bodies/wheels/tires are a must though.

We're going to mandate the Tamiya black can Sport Tuned and perhaps a spec FDR to keep things cheap, at a reasonable pace, and closely matched.

Thoughts? FDR recommendations? We race on prepped asphalt with a technical infield.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #1547
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you have all this old stuff, run some old stock motors. Break down your 6-cell packs to 4, and then race. That way you're using the same technology as everyone else.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
Old 07-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #1548
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
We also looked VERY hard at Silver Can for our Vintage TA class here, unfortunately they absolutely won't work in some TC chassis. I know for fact they won't in TC3/TC4 and very likely other. Has to do with the funky "projection" off the nose of the motor at the output shaft. Tamiya cars (and 1/12 chassis) don't fit tightly in that area so they work...TC's tend to not have clearance on their motor mounts. I was all set to test one when we were doing our testing sessions over the summer until I went to bolt it up.
...I assume that this means that a Tamiya black can Sport Tuned won't fit a TC3 either? I believe the can is basically identical.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #1549
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Would you guys mind giving some input on a radio selection?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZT7&P=0

Also as far as lipos, do I really need a 5000mah pack for the Vintage Class?

I've been reading that people are only using 2000mah out of pack during a 8 minute run on hoter motors. Would there be any advantage with a 5000 vs say a 3800 or 4200?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #1550
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Best deal for a lipo right now is the 3250 Core RC lipo from nexus racing its only $50 and its ROAR legal

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 07-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #1551
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
...I assume that this means that a Tamiya black can Sport Tuned won't fit a TC3 either? I believe the can is basically identical.
Yeah, same can, different wind

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #1552
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

I've been reading that people are only using 2000mah out of pack during a 8 minute run on hoter motors. Would there be any advantage with a 5000 vs say a 3800 or 4200?
The only possible advantage would be that the pack would have a higher voltage over a longer period of time with 5000 vs 3200 or whatever.

You are not going to need that much run time. The lipos are much closer to rated capacity than NImh. A 3800 would be plenty.

As noted above, that core lipo from Nexus racing would be a sweet deal.

Also, the Novak XBR BL ESC is 129.00 at tower, good deal.
LRP AI BL ESC is ****$85**** at tower, crazy deal!! The pro version, $115..

Either of those ESCs would work great for this type of racing at very reasonable prices.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #1553
Tech Elite

Quote:

I run that radio and love it. Maybe it doesn't do the crazy stuff that the radios with the giant screen and keyboard do, but it does plenty and for a lot less $. It's worth it for the convenience of 2.4GHz alone. I run 4 different cars with mine -- it's got a 10-model memory. Additional receivers run about $90, but deals can be found.

On the lipo question, I just run the Orion 3200 packs in my 27T touring car and silver-can mini. After a 5-minute race the mini pack reads 8V and the TC pack about 7.6V. I also just tried a $35 Yeah Racing 3200 lipo yesterday and it worked great.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #1554
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Since that was posted I ran VTA at a facility (SIR--Seattle Indoor Raceway) that runs LiPo / Silver Can as their VTA spec. I bit of Dremel work on the motor mount opened it up enough to get a silver can motor in the TC3/TC4 mount though it is THIN on the top now. Should be fine.

I ran LiPo / silver can the first day I was there, then ran my 4-cell / Stock spec car the second day I was there. I was surprised at how close they ran, I figured the LiPo / Silver Can would be faster.

Quote:

Danny at SMC has been finding that the higher mah LiPos have a wee bit more avg voltage and a wee bit less IR and that this seems to be the nature of the chemistry. I would add that this is probably not a big issue in VTA, or really anywhere unless you're an elite driver looking for the last milli-joule of energy and able to actually use it. For me the diciding factor was that my cars are heavy enough that I don't need to add weight, so the lighter battery (less mah, less goop, less weight) would be better and bought the SMC 4000mah packs. The percentage the 5000mah weighs more was a lot more than the percentage improvement in avg voltage and IR. As has been pointed out, the avg voltage difference REALLY pales because you aren't (usually) really using anywhere near the capacity of these batteries, even at 8 minutes in VTA. I run off-road with an FT T4 with a 10.5 brushless on my 4000mah packs and after more than 15 minutes it only took 2400mah to top it up. I KNOW it'll do 20 and likely close to 25 minutes.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #1555
Tech Master

Thanks again for all the input.

It appears I went the wrong way on buying my equipment.

I thought, spend more on car and just use old ESC & charger, stock motor with some cheap nicads, until I can upgrade those

Unfortunately, I already purchased the T2 008 and it arrived today. Haven't opened yet.

Anyway, thanks again, some of the cheaper alternatives you guys have pointed out, might still allow me to get this all together.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #1556
Tech Champion

I guarantee you can find someone at your local track with some used Nimh batteries you can break down to 4 cells. What charger do you have?

You could also try something like a Hurricane's "satchel" of cells. 12 cells for $80, so that's about $27 a pack.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #1557
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The only possible advantage would be that the pack would have a higher voltage over a longer period of time with 5000 vs 3200 or whatever.

You are not going to need that much run time. The lipos are much closer to rated capacity than NImh. A 3800 would be plenty.

As noted above, that core lipo from Nexus racing would be a sweet deal.

Also, the Novak XBR BL ESC is 129.00 at tower, good deal.
LRP AI BL ESC is ****$85**** at tower, crazy deal!! The pro version, $115..

Either of those ESCs would work great for this type of racing at very reasonable prices.

Rob, the cut off switches I'm finding online are in the $20's, so in your opinion
for another 20 is it worth getting it built in with the Novak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I guarantee you can find someone at your local track with some used Nimh batteries you can break down to 4 cells. What charger do you have?

You could also try something like a Hurricane's "satchel" of cells. 12 cells for $80, so that's about $27 a pack.
My charger is the problem, so if I need to spend any additional money except for the packs, might as well just go lipo right off the bat
Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #1558
Tech Champion

If you go lipo, yeah, the cutoff is worth it in the Novak.

I only ask about the charger since some will be ok for Nimh. Still, if you can do the lipo, it will be worth it in the long run.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #1559
Tech Master

Is this a good deal,
Team Orion 3600 Carbon edition for $89
Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #1560
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

What Temp. are the 21.5 coming off the track at?
Thank you for the info
Dave
Closed Thread