R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #1051
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugs Bunny View Post
AdrianM,
I'm not a new racer. Read post 450 bottom of page 15. Does your claim possess anything but speculation as a foundation. I understand brushless fairly well and barring the changes I suggested earlier I know of no other dramatic improvements.
No speculation, I just have worked in the r/c industry for the last 7 years and I have friends at just about every company. I usually hear about stuff weeks or months before anyone gets a sniff of it online. They tell me stuff all the time because I never tell anyone.

Sometimes I will make somewhat vague and prophetic posts that don't say anything specific but generally suggest racers should look at this or that....I suggest paying attention to those

Convikt - Everyone has known that 17.5 was the future for some time. What they didn't know was the wording of the rules in detail. New ROAR legal motors from everyone will start appearing in a few weeks.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #1052
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
I don't know about the offroad side electric. But a slow freight train can be fun, but a FAST freight train is EVEN MORE fun lol please keep spec mod 10.5.. I also have way to many 10.5's to go buy a buncha 13.5's just to keep running specmod next season (2009).
RX7, just wondering, do you have a bunch of 10.5s for different cars? Everyone here locally was running 1 13.5 all summer long last year without having to change. Unless you are running multiple cars I dont understand the need for more than 1 possible 2 so you have a back up 13.5 or 10.5 motors.
tarheelquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #1053
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelquality View Post
RX7, just wondering, do you have a bunch of 10.5s for different cars? Everyone here locally was running 1 13.5 all summer long last year without having to change. Unless you are running multiple cars I dont understand the need for more than 1 possible 2 so you have a back up 13.5 or 10.5 motors.
I have more electric rc cars than I really should, Carpet foam 10.5 car, carpet rubber 10.5 car, asphalt rubber 10.5 car... two orions, and one novak. The 10.5 carpet motor also gets swapped to offroad cars somtimes(novak motor doesn't have vent holes for dirt to find)

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #1054
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Thug and Vern...you are both obviously new racers. All I can say is chill out and just watch what happens. Maybe not for the carpet nats but certainly for the asphalt nats 17.5 will be as fast or faster than 27T BR.
I guess we will have to "see what happens" as you say....I'll be sure to bookmark your post.

Funny ROAR would try to sell this as "slowing down stock" when the motors as you insinuate will be "just as fast or faster then stock....someone is wrong here aren't they? Personally with the limit on rotors I dont see that happening..we shall see.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #1055
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
I guess we will have to "see what happens" as you say....I'll be sure to bookmark your post.

Funny ROAR would try to sell this as "slowing down stock" when the motors as you insinuate will be "just as fast or faster then stock....someone is wrong here aren't they? Personally with the limit on rotors I dont see that happening..we shall see.
21.5 will be the perfect motor for entry level.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #1056
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
21.5 will be the perfect motor for entry level.
So Rick, whats the perfect motor for spec mod? lol

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #1057
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post

A very knowledgeable friend at a brushless motor company told me that rotor diameter is one seat on the 20 seat teeter totter of brushless motor performance. There are A LOT of things a motor manufacturer can do to improve motor performance.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #1058
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just as an aside, some guys were testing 4 cell Trans Am sedan cars with 17.5 and 27t motors last week at the track. They wanted to see if 17.5 would be a good alternative to 27t brush motors for the class. Granted, this is 4 cell vs. the usual 6 cell, but the 17.5 was faster when they hit gear ratios lower than 4.0 final. They decided to limit the gear at 4.0, as it's a fun spec type class, but the 17.5 wound up being faster on lap time when geared properly.

I suggest you all get some small spurs/large pinions, and get to work

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #1059
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys, it will be just a matter of time before the 17.5 is blowing away the best 27 turn stock motors.....they just need time to evolve now that there is rules.....not many were willing to shove to much into development of them until they knew they would be legal to race with.......now that they are, the flood gates are open....

Many people misunderstand brushless...........its not as different as brushed as you would think.........many things still apply, just in a different way. Just like a brushed motor, there are many things engineers can tinker with to increase performance......just give them some time....

From what I have seen of a 17.5 in onroad, it hangs just fine with a 27t motor........gearing is the big deal that racers need to figure out with them......in offroad, I have been told they are a little slower.........which is probably good, since offroad stock go so fast, the numbers for it and mod have been dwindling around the country.......

Just be patient...........it's amazing to me, that the LIPO and Brushless fanatics finally get to be legal, yet some of them still complain.......just can it and race.........you can complain when the next savior of RC product comes along and you want it legalized ASAP.......

Later EddieO
Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #1060
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
So Rick, whats the perfect motor for spec mod? lol
Not that you mention it, LRP is releasing an 8.5 and 9.5 "stock spec" motor that is built to the same ROAR rules used for 13.5 and 17.5. So if a track wanted to run a spec or limited modified class, these motors would be a perfect choice.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #1061
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I run 10.5 in my Cyclone in club races against brushed 19turns and the racing is very close. I don't agree with running 13.5 as the 19turn in 2009. We have 2 drivers who were fighting for first the last race, and one was brushed , the other brushless. I don't think any changes need to be made to the spec mod class.
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #1062
Tech Fanatic

Default new roar brushless rule

hey all: Does this new roar rule mean that companies that now only make brushed motors like team brood,putnam,Ea,banzai and others will start offering brushless or do you see new brushless only companies like speed passion starting up and the brushed only companies will "die off" so to speak?P.S. as AdrianM has said "lets let the new roar rule on brushless technology work it self out before we make a final judgement on it" Amen to that. Thanks for the info
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #1063
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski

B-Man, I'd predict you'll see both. The Feiago is available on an OEM level, so there's nothing stopping brushed companies from applying a label- question is, at this point, do they want to? (meaning, is it any good?)

I would venture to guess many companies have been in "wait and see" mode, as IMO brushless (and LiPo for that matter) had the cart before the horse- where racers bought motors & batteries long before there ever was any ruling on either of them from ROAR, etc.

Now that the announcements have been made, I'm sure you'll see a lot of new product announcements soon from a lot of people.
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #1064
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
Does this new roar rule mean that companies that now only make brushed motors like team brood,putnam,Ea,banzai and others will
Remember these guys don't make motors or even spec there own requirements or features, There only buying bulk from one of the mainstream manufactures and tune them to their desire and place there label.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #1065
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Last edited by syndr0me; 01-21-2008 at 01:03 PM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote