R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #1021
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70 View Post
Hey Cherry, you send in your membership app yet?
Mail man has not arrive yet ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #1022
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreameracer View Post
is the 17.5 that much slower than a 27 turn, 4 cell and 6 cell ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
on road, no...

off road.. a bit....
how much slower is it in offroad? just curious before i go out and buy new 17.5s for any bigger races i may attend. currently have a pair of 13.5s, and sold my 6.5 and 7.5 since to race brushless now i don't need to race mod.

at our local track the 13.5 sintered was running exactly like a 19turn brushed [both 241 seconds & 67 laps] so i agree that the 13.5 is like a 19 turn brushed in oval, just curious how close the 17.5 is.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #1023
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
how much slower is it in offroad? just curious before i go out and buy new 17.5s for any bigger races i may attend. currently have a pair of 13.5s, and sold my 6.5 and 7.5 since to race brushless now i don't need to race mod.

at our local track the 13.5 sintered was running exactly like a 19turn brushed [both 241 seconds & 67 laps] so i agree that the 13.5 is like a 19 turn brushed in oval, just curious how close the 17.5 is.
really not much... our local club runs 13.5 here in the stock class and I honestly think its too much for the thinking we want to slow this down. If you want to run ROAR events in stock, you'll need that 17.5 in 2008.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #1024
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Nah.... way too much pressure.... and how can that job be fun?
Dare we mention..... Monica Lewinski???
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #1025
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

Quote:
really not much... our local club runs 13.5 here in the stock class and I honestly think its too much for the thinking we want to slow this down. If you want to run ROAR events in stock, you'll need that 17.5 in 2008.
i agree the 13.5 is more then stock on high traction tracks. will there still be a class for the 17.5 in 2009? will the 17.5/27t and 13.5/19t classes stay? i also feel the 10.5 is alittle hotter then a 19turn brushed on a bigger track.

sorry for the questions just trying to figure out what i need to do this rookie will keep his 13.5s for superstock if the 17.5 isn't here to stay
Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #1026
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capelracer View Post
Dare we mention..... Monica Lewinski???
ok, and how would THAT be fun ....???
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #1027
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Just run mod and then you don't have to worry about what motor you bring to the track.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #1028
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
its my fault.. I got him going... I fed the cat.

He messaged me the membership is in the mail today. ROAR Admin will contact me when its received.
*Correction Dawn*- You fed the troll!!!

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #1029
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
....If you want to run ROAR events in stock, you'll need that 17.5 in 2008.
OR 27T if you want to have a shot at a win at TC.

Any takers this ruling just put the squeeze on the 17.5 for "competing" in sedan?? As for slowing down stock, it will only slow down the people running it.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #1030
Tech Fanatic

Vern, If the racer is good enough to invest $100's of dollars in brushed equipment just to have an advantage in 27T stock over the 17.5 guy I think that racer is in the wrong racing class. In reality, no matter the physical advantage the car still needs a good driver to stay up front. If the driver is good enough to exploit the adavantages of the 17.5 with setup and driving skill I believe he is racing in a class beneeth his skill. Those hotshoes need to bump up to a faster class.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #1031
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Vern, If the racer is good enough to invest $100's of dollars in brushed equipment just to have an advantage in 27T stock over the 17.5 guy I think that racer is in the wrong racing class. In reality, no matter the physical advantage the car still needs a good driver to stay up front. If the driver is good enough to exploit the adavantages of the 17.5 with setup and driving skill I believe he is racing in a class beneeth his skill. Those hotshoes need to bump up to a faster class.

BINGO! And how many actually have competed with a 17.5 in TC already to really say there is a major advantage for the aveage 27T.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #1032
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Vern, If the racer is good enough to invest $100's of dollars in brushed equipment just to have an advantage in 27T stock over the 17.5 guy I think that racer is in the wrong racing class.
Brushed equipment is going for pennies on the dollar...many are wondering what to do with it all.... and people putting excessive money toward an edge has been going on forever and will continue.

So your comment further proves my point....competitive 17.5's will not exist on the upper levels of ROAR competition.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #1033
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
B...competitive 17.5's will not exist on the upper levels of ROAR competition.
Anyone remember when the Midnight or Slot Machine were the latest and greatest? Now they are arcaicly slow and still the CO-27 is 27 turns, 22awg. The 17.5 is only an infant, allow the class to mature and I'll bet 12-18 months from now they will be faster than at least the current brushed motor.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #1034
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The 17.5's are pretty new and they'll get faster just like the ROAR 91 motors got faster. I think you'll see entire clubs go brushless in stock because it's cheaper in the long run and not because it's faster.

All of the guys that just want more speed can simply move up to a faster class.
Unregistered, killingtime, miller tyme

On the first point, my understanding is that to make brushless motors faster you can achieve performance gains in two ways; 1 by altering the rotor, 2 by altering the speed control timing. Since ROAR seems interested in not allowing changes in the rotors for the "Stock" class that would put the attention on the software. This gets ugly fast as the technology there becomes very arcane. Just ask a model railroad guy about DCC. Not to mention you are now adding more gear including most likely a laptop to every pit box.

On the second point, if it was difficult for ROAR to effectively eliminate brushed motors, imagine how hard it is for track owners. These folks have to pay rent and cannot afford to turn away a paying racer because they want to run brushed. Yes brushless is a better solution for them but they need help in making that point. 'ROAR legal' is a great excuse for them to say "hey if you want to race anywhere else you'll need to do this as well."

On the last point, If that were happening Mod would be a very healthy class. 'Nuf said.
Thugs Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #1035
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
Agreed. ROAR apparently constructed the classes based on the premise that there are a lot of racers out there who still have a bunch of 27T and 19T motors and want to get some use out of them before they switch over to BL. If 13.5 replaces brushed stock and mod becomes a more robust class (without 19T) at regional and national events in 2009, it will be worth it. Having only two classes at big races will allow people to compete against a larger pool of racers and it might raise the number of entries because racers would likely have to take less time off work in order to attend one of them.
Leodis,
I would be fine with this but my understanding is this is not what ROAR has decided. My understanding is that in 2009 13.5 will become the 19t class with 19t no longer allowed. Thus leaving three classes, 27t/17.5, 13.5 and Mod. Dawn, am I wrong? I think two classes would be a very good thing given the state of racing currently, but I don't think that is what has been proposed.
Thugs Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote