R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #1006
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Default

You guys could just run li//bl w/ 20 minute mains. I mean, drop a 8kmah lipo & a motor of your choice in there & away you go. I mean, you won't be able to run a 2.5 turn motor, but you can make it w/ a gtb 5.5 which is plenty fast for most racers. Not to mention it is still faster then a nitro is. Better yet run a 4kmah lipo & a gtb 10.5 in a pan car. If people want to see electric grow then they need to run longer mains & support ease of maintanance. With on road it seams as though it is always the same amount of run no matter how fast you go. Since the consensus is that most people want to run 19 turn & stock then these two classes would be great for on roads growth.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #1007
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
I'll be looking for it.

and, charging a lipo at 1 amp per 1000 mah is recommended.. anything more is just, silly. Read the general information document on the website... explains it pretty well...
Dawn I charge @ just bit higher amp rate ..
Why ?

Not cus it is silly !

Only have 2 Carbon battery`s and it charges faster this way...
Been doing so for over three months now.....
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #1008
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Dawn I charge @ just bit higher amp rate ..
Why ?

Not cus it is silly !

Only have 2 Carbon battery`s and it charges faster this way...
Been doing so for over three months now.....

silly to go past the recommended..... this is how problems are started and all the talk of how unsafe Lipos are.....

if people really do follow the rules/guidelines... the charging sacks and hard cases wouldn't be necessary..
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #1009
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I disagree, hard cases and charging bunkers are good for reasons well beyond user negligence.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #1010
Tech Regular
 
xtreameracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xtreameracer
Default

is the 17.5 that much slower than a 27 turn, 4 cell and 6 cell ?
xtreameracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #1011
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
silly to go past the recommended..... this is how problems are started and all the talk of how unsafe Lipos are.....

if people really do follow the rules/guidelines... the charging sacks and hard cases wouldn't be necessary..
If I were risking a fire and a explosion I would agree with you ..

Fact
All I`m risking is losing some capacity(run time)...
No fire...
No bang ....

No danger ....
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #1012
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
If I were risking a fire and a explosion I would agree with you ..

Fact
All I`m risking is losing some capacity(run time)...
No fire...
No bang ....

No danger ....
That's not necessarily true. It's irresponsible to pass if off as fact.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #1013
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
silly to go past the recommended..... this is how problems are started and all the talk of how unsafe Lipos are.....

if people really do follow the rules/guidelines... the charging sacks and hard cases wouldn't be necessary..
A little information, at CEFX (Josh's track) pretty much the entire crowd has gone brushless and most run LIPO. Several of us messed around with 4, 5, and 6 amp charging with the SMC 5000 packs. Nobody could tell the difference in performance. Since it didn't mean anything for speed all of us have gone back to 5 amp=1c. It really was no problem getting charged even with only one pack.
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #1014
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreameracer View Post
is the 17.5 that much slower than a 27 turn, 4 cell and 6 cell ?
on road, no...

off road.. a bit....
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #1015
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
That's not necessarily true. It's irresponsible to pass if off as fact.
You must not know the facts.....
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #1016
PDM
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Dawn I charge @ just bit higher amp rate ..
Why ?

Not cus it is silly !

Only have 2 Carbon battery`s and it charges faster this way...
Been doing so for over three months now.....
Wild Cherry, I never tryed, but if you charge your lipo at 2C you will not reduce the charge time by half, problably it will short the normal 1 hour by 10 or 15 minutes, depending of how much you have discharged the battery before, isn't it?

And for sure you will reduced the number of cicles the pack will accept.

Ok, no problem of fires, but I think you loose more then what you get.

The best way to reduce the charging time is having a bigger battery in capacity and don't charge it completly. Let us assume that driving 7 minutes you spend 3000mah of your cell. If your cell is 5000mah, at 5A you will need 36 minutes to put back those 3000mah, and your cells will last longer.

I believe in time there will be cells that will not be afected by 2C charge rate, but for now as far as I know, they are.

P.S. these number are not 100% exact. To put back those 3000mah could take more or less time depending of how empty the pack is. But I hope this gives an idea.
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #1017
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

PDM

I charge @ 4.2 amp rather than the suggested 3.2 amp rate...


I charge faster, a dump Carbon 3200 in about 50 min

rather than normal 65 min...

I already have been doing so for many cycles (est150 + cycles)...


I`v have research the facts , just a loss of capacity sooner is the result ......

Ps , even after 150 cycles , no loss of runtime yet ....
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #1018
Tech Master
 
Tempest2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 1,590
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

isn't this a B/L motor discussion not the I want to overcharge my lipo debate???
can we take up a collection to get wild cherry his own forum so he can ramble in there?
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #1019
Tech Master
 
timmay70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,701
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
PDM

I charge @ 4.2 amp rather than the suggested 3.2 amp rate...


I charge faster, a dump Carbon 3200 in about 50 min

rather than normal 65 min...

I already have been doing so for many cycles (est150 + cycles)...


I`v have research the facts , just a loss of capacity sooner is the result ......

Ps , even after 150 cycles , no loss of runtime yet ....
Hey Cherry, you send in your membership app yet?
__________________
Speed Merchant Rev7, Tekin, TQ Racing (wire), Team Tamale
RC Excitement - Buy where you race, support your local tracks.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #1020
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post
isn't this a B/L motor discussion not the I want to overcharge my lipo debate???
can we take up a collection to get wild cherry his own forum so he can ramble in there?

its my fault.. I got him going... I fed the cat.

He messaged me the membership is in the mail today. ROAR Admin will contact me when its received.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roar Brushless motor debate thread. *Chrominator* Electric Off-Road 173 01-18-2008 10:52 AM
New ROAR rules Rfury Georgia Racing 9 01-16-2008 12:58 PM
Roar Rules rollagen Nitro On-Road 1 08-06-2007 06:04 PM
? on ROAR rules gator Electric On-Road 2 11-23-2002 12:13 AM
ROAR rules LooseCannon Nitro On-Road 18 09-08-2002 11:03 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:43 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net