R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ROAR moves into the future

ROAR #105242

Last edited by timmay70; 01-02-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: duplicate thread.
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I agree
Goggles Paesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Yes, ROAR is moving into the future....

and then...?

Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was just poking fun at the news portion of the ROAR site being pre-dated. After I made the thread I noticed Mason already started a thread...

BTW, congrats Carl.

Dawn, one can only hope. Now how about the new approvals so I can start getting ready for the carpet nats...
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

not untill they finnaly approve Lipo packs for 1/10 TC racing...when is this finally going to happen? When will meetings take place to set the rules?
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite

oh, the date thing... so I'm ahead a bit... looking to the future.... I have no idea how I managed to think today was the 3rd. OH well....

To answer questions:

our first meeting of 2008 to complete the 2008 rules is Jan. 12th - 14th. Yep, a bit late... c'mon... I just got this job 2 weeks ago... LOL

Lipo - yes, they will be approved. We will have limitations and we are referring to Ling Tong specifically for advise.

BL's - yes, the rules are opening up a bit for 10.5, 13.5, 17.5... whatever .5.... as for running with brushed... I'm against doing that in the stock classes but not 19T or as we have had, modified. We will discuss that at our meeting.

We extended the battery approval of 4600's ONLY to 12/31/07. I know IB, EP and EnerG cells were submitted and I'm waiting just like you guys to see if they passed the inspection as per the rules.

Motors? Nobody asking about motors?

Pipes/Mufflers: I would love to get an approval system going for mufflers..... we have one... not sure why we don't use it. Finding out.

Class committee's: all full and teams are working hard already...

Hope I answered the questions... these are the things I've been asked recently.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
oh, the date thing... so I'm ahead a bit... looking to the future.... I have no idea how I managed to think today was the 3rd. OH well....

To answer questions:

our first meeting of 2008 to complete the 2008 rules is Jan. 12th - 14th. Yep, a bit late... c'mon... I just got this job 2 weeks ago... LOL

Lipo - yes, they will be approved. We will have limitations and we are referring to Ling Tong specifically for advise.

BL's - yes, the rules are opening up a bit for 10.5, 13.5, 17.5... whatever .5.... as for running with brushed... I'm against doing that in the stock classes but not 19T or as we have had, modified. We will discuss that at our meeting.

We extended the battery approval of 4600's ONLY to 12/31/07. I know IB, EP and EnerG cells were submitted and I'm waiting just like you guys to see if they passed the inspection as per the rules.

Pipes/Mufflers: I would love to get an approval system going for mufflers..... we have one... not sure why we don't use it. Finding out.

There is one more "item" that I feel needs to be addressed.....

An official ROAR membership forum......
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

People like Dawn make me want to sign up for a ROAR membership. no attitude, no doubletalk, nothing like that. just straight honesty.

I like the idea that you will approve lipos and brushless because that means people like me who don't have a ton of money can get into racing.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
But Dawn, don't you realize that many clubs/people have already begun to adopt the 13.5 as the new "STOCK" motor?

I know, as do most others, that a 13.5 will give the racer faster laptimes than a 27T, but at our LHS we have had some of the closest racing I've ever seen using the the 13.5.

Oh well, I think what we'll end up with is 27T for "STOCK" sanctioned ROAR race events, but 13.5 for "Club" Stock racing. Maybe you could come up with a hybrid rule set, one for club racing, one for race events.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

To answer questions:

on the behalf of the south,west,east and north corners of the usa i thank u for this news.just about time for me to race touring again
trackpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #11

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

good to hear. poor folks wont have to put their lathes and a couple arms out just to mask fact of having BL in their car at a club race for fear of ridicule.

damn if i'll buy another sub-C cell again. perhaps for my mom's electric sweeper vac, but not for these.

happy new year. RAAWWWRRR!!!

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
But Dawn, don't you realize that many clubs/people have already begun to adopt the 13.5 as the new "STOCK" motor?
Yes. I have heard this. It happens at the track my husband and I own as well.

ROAR racing will promote and provide fair competitive events to all its members. If this means allowing two motors run against eachother in a single race, how is that fair?

Club racing MUST be handled differently. We encourage clubs to 'bend' the rules a bit.. this is where research and development comes from... this is how YOU the member and the guy buying the product learns what you need to tell ROAR about the competitive rules.

With that said, I see no reason at levels above state competitions to KNOWINGLY allow racing that is unfair to one person over another. Brushed stock and the supposed brushless stock are not comparable - at least not that I have seen and nobody has done much to change my mind about that.

You should be able to attend any ROAR event and know exactly where you stand and what product you have can be used or not. That is fair. Thats what the rules for the past 40 years have been building and will continue building.

(sorry, platform box put out and I stepped right up... LOL)

Please, understand... BL Stock and Brushed Stock cannot run together. Something has to give... either a class in racing (19T?) to give way to new technology and still continue the fairness in racing ROAR stands by and will stand by as long as I'm an administrator of the rule book.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
People like Dawn make me want to sign up for a ROAR membership. no attitude, no doubletalk, nothing like that. just straight honesty.

I like the idea that you will approve lipos and brushless because that means people like me who don't have a ton of money can get into racing.

www.roarracing.com

click 'join'

mail in the membership form and come race with us!!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
Tech Elite

i think they can run together, just in a different combination. The big difference is the torque curve. If we can get something toned down towards the 27t's - we at the local level could call it somewhat fair. Maybe the R&D at Novak or one of the other Manufs. are reading. We know the field isn't quite even let's just get it that way. Between wind, wiresize, gap, etc, there must be a solution.
are the guys worried about sales in a stock motor specification market? stock motors are suppose to be the same. If you want more power step up to one of the other 2 levels.

anyways 2 cents. Good to see the membership stepping up. Thanks Ling
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

It seems like we are thinking about 13.5 vrs brushed backwards. New and or budget racers should have the option to run brushed locally which they do (many RTRs are brushed), but the nationals are for the best of the best. Brushless would make much more sense as the only motor for nationals to keep things fair.

The only reason I can see why we keep brushed motors for nationals is finacial. Handout brushed motors are a great way for the host track to recoupe some race expenses.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote