Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Does anyone know how to wire a 240 V AC to 12V DC power supply? >

Does anyone know how to wire a 240 V AC to 12V DC power supply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know how to wire a 240 V AC to 12V DC power supply?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sure about that?? Is just any piece of plastic rated for the voltage at hand? Is it enought suppress an arc?
Finger safe has nothing to do with arc suppression. At 240V pretty much any plastic will do the job. If you really want to be safe, use Lexan.

If people are really this scared of electricity, sell you RC's and take up knitting! You shouldn't be playing with this stuff anyway.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
This shows the cheap PC power cord before cutting the end and what it looks like after.

This shows the install.

Mate Sparky

WHERE IS YOUR IP RATING FOR THIS APPLICANCE.
WHERE IS YOUR INSULATION TO THE AC TERMINALS
NOT TO MENTION AUST APPROVALS
IS THE SECONDLY ISOLATED FROM THE PRIMARY SIDE
IS THE EARTH BONDED TO NEG OR FLOATING

EVERYBODY DO NOT RISK IT THIS IS DEADLY

HOW WOULD YOU TELL SOMEONES WIFE, MOTHER, CHILD IF SOMEONE DIED!!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tone it down, Swappy.

People understand the hazards when doing any DIY projects.

There is nothing mytsical or magicial about working with A/C. If a person does not understand the dynamics or dangers of A/C they should just leave it up to those who do and are more than willing to prevent a accident by ignorance.

For the reasons above, I took my powersupply from my tire turer box took some pictures to show what an ideal simple wireing job should look like without going over the top. This is to prevent accidents.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Your inlet plug is female What do you plug it into??? Something with live pins!!

Supply Systems vary around the world .
US can't even agree on one voltage.

We in Australia have A Common earthing system not Floating
Our Neutral is bonded to earth.

Cable Colours change all over the world. Red black green,Brown Blue yellow/green, White Blue Green, white black Green,brown white blue

In AU it takes 4 years to become a sparkie unlike the UK or some US states.
and as such our ticket is accepted in most countries around the world.

I agree most level headed people will be fine with the Supply
But it takes only 1 nutter, 1 teenager who thinks it is wired ok to Kill someone.Who knows how to test insulation, polarity, continuity.

Try setting up two units side by side What Voltage can you get between
the cases earth to earth, what current can flow. Do you know how little can
kill you???

Doing this since 1973 Think Safe, Think Wise, Think Smart, Think ALIVE.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Swamp Rat;4299271]Your inlet plug is female What do you plug it into??? Something with live pins!!

You are looking at it wrong that is the plug he cuts off, the other end has prongs to stick n the outlet.

Supply Systems vary around the world .
US can't even agree on one voltage.

Nope, we have used 120/240 for 70+ years.

We in Australia have A Common earthing system not Floating
Our Neutral is bonded to earth.

Wrong again!!! All main panels have the neutral and ground bonded

Cable Colours change all over the world. Red black green,Brown Blue yellow/green, White Blue Green, white black Green,brown white blue

You make a carrer out of being wrong, Colours are the same all around the world. Blue is blue, red is red, water is wet and ice is cold.

In AU it takes 4 years to become a sparkie unlike the UK or some US states.
and as such our ticket is accepted in most countries around the world.

Our laws vary slightly state to state but most require 1000hours of apprentice work to be able to take the license test (We use tests to see how smart someone is instead of time). We use tickets for movies and sporting events.

I agree most level headed people will be fine with the Supply
But it takes only 1 nutter, 1 teenager who thinks it is wired ok to Kill someone.Who knows how to test insulation, polarity, continuity.

Once agian we use that as natural selection. If you are so stupid that let your 5 year old wander around unsupervised or go around shoving your fingers in everything, don't be surprised if you don't live a long healty life.

Try setting up two units side by side What Voltage can you get between
the cases earth to earth, what current can flow. Do you know how little can
kill you???

Doing this since 1973 Think Safe, Think Wise, Think Smart, Think ALIVE.

Yes Very little can kill you , that is why you treat electricity with respect but not fear. You say you have been "doing this since 1973" do you mean prentending to be a electrician or your full time job as a worry wart?? QUOTE]

Last edited by Stallard; 03-27-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stallard
Your inlet plug is female What do you plug it into??? Something with live pins!!

You are looking at it wrong that is the plug he cuts off, the other end has prongs to stick n the outlet.

His pictures do give the impression you need a male - male cord to make that work.... Not good, especially when you are showing people how its done. Why would you even show that end??
Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
Ummm no LOL. They are not interchangable, they are color coded and are polarized. The neutral is actually a longer/taller slot. (for the last....fifty years)
And the left hole is not always the hot! I fact it rarely ever is. Only place I have "had" to make it on the left was in hospitals. They want there grounds up.

Like I said everyone thinks they are an electrician. LOL
They are non polarised, they are alternating circuit. Plug in your DVD player, TV, hair dryer, or any electrical jack to a wall socket, left right or right left, why it still works ?

edit : however, for a professional electrical wiring job, a proper wiring arrangement should be done before powering every each of electrical outlet in a house, for. examples: left hole is always for Hot wire, right hole is always for Neutral, and middle hole is always for Ground.

Last edited by asw7576; 03-27-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

They are non polarised, they are alternating circuit. Plug in your DVD player, TV, hair dryer, or any electrical jack to a wall socket, left right or right left, why it still works ?
These are items that don't need a ground reference to work, although my DVD player and VCR are polarized with a ground terminal. Hair dryers usually have a plastic case and there is no need for ground reference. The motors in them are usually dc motors so the line voltage is just rectified and then put to the motor. the rectification takes care of the polarity, just think absolute value. Other items that only have two prongs will sometimes have one prong larger than the other which provides polarity reversal protection. The best way to build ALL AC electric devices is with 3-wire power with the ground tied to the case. This way if the hot was to short to the case, the ground would protect the user.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Take a close look at the photo again while reading the caption

There are two cords. You can tell by the differences in the outside diameter of the cord.

I was showing which end to cut off, then what it should look like after in the same picture.

I thank you all for your criticism, but I will stand that what I have shown is safe. This would be the same as going to the hardware store and buying a pigtail cable for $10 that already has the terminals installed. My cost for the cord was free and the terminals about $0.40. If anyone needs cords for projects, most likely a computer repair shop can supply a few freebies since there are always extras from repairs and recycling.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

His pictures do give the impression you need a male - male cord to make that work.... Not good, especially when you are showing people how its done. Why would you even show that end??
It is all in the captions. Next time I'll just make a damn slideshow with audio for http://www.instructables.com
Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trailranger
It is all in the captions. Next time I'll just make a damn slideshow with audio for http://www.instructables.com
LOL!!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

I didn't say "shows". You have to remember who you are dealing with. Somebody asked "how do I wire this"..... and there is people that are saying it doesn't matter.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asw7576
WOW!! All those appliances I have do have do have polarized plugs on them, (not all do) even the stupid two wire cord on it is polarized/identified. I can tell you just looking at the cord which "should" be the neutral... your house.. who knows No matter what, the receptical "is" polarized

Originally Posted by asw7576
edit : however, for a professional electrical wiring job, a proper wiring arrangement should be done before powering every each of electrical outlet in a house, for. examples: left hole is always for Hot wire, right hole is always for Neutral, and middle hole is always for Ground.
Don't know were you are getting your example from... but its wrong! Has nothing to do with right or left! If it was installed with the ground down (like most), and installed by a "qualified person", the hot will be on the right. Your house?????? toss a coin...sounds like every one could be different.

You might want to invest in one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polarity-Tester-...QQcmdZViewItem

here's another
http://www.idealindustries.com/produ..._e-z_check.jsp

Hey, you can drive a car without brakes.... it'll work.. but the end result is about the same as your electrical advise.

Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt!

Its not hard... but I know where all the nightmares (and late night calls) I encounter come from.

If its installed correctly.. here is how it should be
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone know how to wire a 240 V AC to 12V DC power supply?-art.-200.9.jpg   Does anyone know how to wire a 240 V AC to 12V DC power supply?-gfci.jpg   Does anyone know how to wire a 240 V AC to 12V DC power supply?-gfci-ii.jpg   Does anyone know how to wire a 240 V AC to 12V DC power supply?-gfci-iii.jpg  

Last edited by Ed Anderson; 03-27-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Where the hot is depends on how the outlet is oriented. However, the standard is the neutral side will have silver screws for terminations, the hot gold/brass colored. Ground is green. (USA) Local code and/or "tradition" determines how the outlets are mounted, for example in Chicago, they are usually horizontal, with the hot side up, and ground to the right. Orientation should never be used to determine what's what, as some goof could have wired it wrong anyway.

Also, the neutral is the bonded conductor, which means it's tied to the ground at the panel. Yeah, some stuff works connected backwards, but not everything.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

$16 for a 3-wire circut tester!!!! That is outragous. Hardware stores carry those where I live for $5 and trust me they are well worth it.

When I was buying a home two-years ago I carried one of those in my pocket and everytime I looked at a house I would randomly choose an outlet in a room to test. I also looked for circut breakers not fuse boxes ina home. I used that info and my home-inspection report to knock off another $2000 on the home I bought. The only outlet that was wrong was the new ground fault outlets that were installed over the sinks by the previous remodel job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.