R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to David Butts
Default F1 and Indy cars

I'm sure this has already been hashed out somewhere or beaten to death on here but I've always been a sucker for open wheeled racers.

The one thing I like about the new breed of these cars, Corally and Hyperdrive to name a couple, Is their simplicity, Basically narrow pan cars with permanent nose and rear wings.

Is there a consesus as to whether they may make it or not as a viable class this go around?

I never raced the old Tamiya and HPI cars but I sold a lot of the Tamiyas when I was in the business. Parts were a nightmare to get even for a shop. The couple distributors we used were always out of the most needed front end parts.

The newer cars all use the tried and proven Associated style parts and with that comes ease of maintenance.

There is a F1 class at the Birds next month and I'm looking forward to seeing them. Actually I'm hoping this boosts interest in pancars in general, I love touring cars too but man o man are they getting pricey and complicated. Bring on the 190 or 200mm direct drive TC's and many people will be happy.

Ofcourse I'll be using the awesome RC4LESS foam tires if I pick one up.(unashamed plug)

Isnt it ironic that todays touring cars are the F1's of the r/c world and that F1 cars are a simple throwback platform?

From way up yonder in Middleburg
David Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love these http://www.rcindycars.com/. I too wish these were more main stream. I really like the idea of the Indy oval chassis that rcindy cars has.

Chad O

Staggered F/X body painting
Stagger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Tech Champion

The F1 cars were very popular when everyone ran a Tamiya F102/F103 chassis. They were inexpensive and the bodies were realistic. I still remember the day someone came down with one of the HPI formula cars. Basically he kicked everyone's butt. The next week only one person showed up with an F1 car, the guy with the HPI.

As soon as the class went from just having fun to serious competition, it was dead.

Today there is a small segment of racers who still race these cars, and the cars available today are great. Because they're open wheel thay are more prone to damage, and that keeps some people out. It's good to see people are willing to keep this class alive, but I doubt it will ever see promince like it did.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Tech Champion

F1 cars seem to always go away and come back in cycles. Seems to follow Tamiya's production cycle for the most part. It is really quite a shame because it is such s cool class.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Well I think F1 is beginning to become more popular again, at least that is how it seems to me. In the post-shui era we now have plenty of competition and not to mention the Lewis Hamilton craze. I'd really like to see some F1 action at the clubs around me, but I think the interest is just not there.
Colin F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Tech Champion

I agree...F1 is more popular now then ever. I'm really quite surprised Tamiya hasn't taken advantage of this time and started producing F1 cars again.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

jiml,

I remember that type of deal too with the HPI F1's. They were an AWESOME car, but in NO WAY did they fit within the spirit of the F1 rules of that day...

I also remember when the TC rules were very similar (Tamiya and Kyosho type cars) Is TOURING heading down the same path that the F1 cars went???
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

If Champ car and irl would merge, that would increase interest in open wheel rc, but hell will freeze over first.
magerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i really hope this class picks up again. I have been racing this class here in GA for the past 2 years in the F1 All-star Tour. Theres about 12 of us in this tour every year. Range of all the cars from old to new. Cant wait to get to the Birds this year and race my new ride in the DEMO. Hope this really helps.

HotShot RC / Nexus Racing
Xray T2 '009 w/Exotek Chassis, BMI DB12rr, Tamiya F104X1
Team Durango DEX210
ChadRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by magerp View Post
If Champ car and irl would merge, that would increase interest in open wheel rc, but hell will freeze over first.
Yeah...back before they split the class was much more popular.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Man, I COMPLETELY stopped following Indy cars when they split. That just completely killed it for me. That's alright though, my primary interest has always been F1 and now its better than ever!

The reason I got back into RC is because I wanted to race in an F1 class but there is very little out there.
Colin F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:50 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
jiml,

I remember that type of deal too with the HPI F1's. They were an AWESOME car, but in NO WAY did they fit within the spirit of the F1 rules of that day...

I also remember when the TC rules were very similar (Tamiya and Kyosho type cars) Is TOURING heading down the same path that the F1 cars went???
YES!!! I remember when the Tamiya touring cars first came out. Many of the lower level racers switched from 1/12 (the only indoor on road class at the time) to the new cars to escape the very high level of competition that 1/12 had become. But so many people switched over that 1/12 began to suffer, and racers, who are always looking for competition, also switched over.

Now with the price of some electric touring cars exceeding $400, many of the casual racers are going away from TC. Some into nitro, some into 1/12, some into off road, and some into other things (mostly helicopters). And as much as the technology of modern day TC's is incredible, it's also pushing some people out.

And not for nothing, with the price of a 1/12 car rapidly approaching $300, we need to keep an eye on that as well.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have been racing the Hyperdrive F1 car for about 2 years now and it has been very durable. As it any t-plate car that you gonna run on fast road course track I would suggest getting a spring steel t-plate. The bad thing about this class is the support and the way companies make the cars. Car makers try to mak the car look like a real F1 car which is good if your into a replica but bad if you really wanna race cause most of the time the front ends are junk i.e. the old HPI car. A friend of mine actually cut the front plate off a pan car and mounted it to his chassis so he could have he associated front end, much better for him. I agree that touring car companis are pricing themselves right out of the market, I for one have just about give up on touring because of it. I do get some support from different companies and even with that its hard sometimes. I have much respect for the private guys who run fast and like to see them win. I think no matter what we move to to be fast a little cheaper companies are still gonna increase the price of that class and we will be right back where we were. I don't know about you guys but I usually spend about $60 just to go racing by the time you get gas to get to the track and drive an hour or two then the entry fee and then dinner on the way home not to mention if you wad up the car in a pipe. Then you have the cost of parts to really win nothing at the end of the day. You just got to love racing to do it.
myspace.com/ballisticwhiplash01
COOPER MOTORSPORTS
HD-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote