Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Xray T1R or Xray T1 evo 2? >

Xray T1R or Xray T1 evo 2?

Old 06-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Should i get the Xray T1R or Xray T1 Evo 2?
Old 06-13-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

alot of the guys like the t1r chassis. But like the parts from the evo2. I think it is cheaper to get an evo2 and then a t1r chassis then a t1r and then evo2 parts.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default second that

I would second that....I have both cars.....If you plan on buying 1, I would by the evo2 and then get the chassis later as an experiment. It would however depend on what type of racing you are doing. If you are outside then I would lean towards the Raycer....indoors on carpet I would lean towards the evo2 and you can experiment later. It would cost you much more to experiment in the other direction. that is just my .02
Old 06-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I plan to race both indoors and outdoors. and I don't really want to buy both so can u just reccommend one plz. which has better handling and which is faster. to make it simple which is best overall
Old 06-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

The T1R is fast on carpet, end of story. It also doesn't need alot of hop-ups. At what stage in the hobby are you, the evo2 although it's Hudy's top of the line car, may be a bitch to setup if you don't know how to set it up a car.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by fatdoggy
The T1R is fast on carpet, end of story. It also doesn't need alot of hop-ups. At what stage in the hobby are you, the evo2 although it's Hudy's top of the line car, may be a bitch to setup if you don't know how to set it up a car.
I concur with fatdoggy's comments....

Personally I would get the T1R and spend the spare cash on some batteries or an Xray complete spring set.
The T1R is a fantastic car and I honestly find it better than my old Xray Evo 2. After a few minor tweaks to the out of the box set up my T1R hooked up extremely well outdoors and immediately had me pulling better times than my Evo 2. I put this down to the ease of set up and the "C" hub front end. I don't think my Evo 2 was ever set up to perfection, but it was not from lack of trying or lack of knowledge. I just never got it perfect.

Just my 2 cents worth

Steevo
Old 06-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

I agree with Steevo and Fatdoggy, I know a lot of people who were racing the evo2 and when the t1R came out and one of the factory drivers started racing it in place of his evo2 and said it was way smoother and easier to drive. I guess other people had to try, now most people who used to be racing evo2's are racing t1R's just because how much easier to drive they are, and they also say if a t1R is not set up for the track well it will handle better than a stiffer chassis car because the T1R has a flexable chassis. There are also many die hard tc3 fans who have switched to the T1R. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default raycer

I think that all of your comments are valid except that the raycer has yet to be tested on a very high bite carpet track. I am talking about a condition such as the indoor champs in cleveland or the snowbirds. The car may be too flexible under those conditions. I do think that it is easier to drive. If your racing on carpet, I dont think it is as simple as just buy the raycer...I think that is yet to be seen. There are a couple of really good drivers running evo2 and raycer kits in the cinci area.....I know that they have been impressed with the raycer but have yet to commit to one as "the car". I dont think you can go wrong with the raycer but there are some conditions that it may not be the best choice for.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm a beginner but i am willing to spend as much as need for a good car.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

I've seen one run at "The Track" in MD. The track is a medium sized high bite carpet track and the T1R that I saw was dam fast. Granted I havn't seen one run in the hands of sponsored drivers(against the evo2) at a big event with "extremely high grip carpet" but like I said above, the one I saw was fast on carpet. If push came to shove you could just buy the graphite chassis (and upper deck if needed) and you'd be set. But I doubt that would be necessary since most people don't run on carpet that has extreme grip.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 06-15-2003 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

The T1R is becoming very popular at our indoor carpet track as one of X-Ray's sponsored drivers is based here. He runs it now and likes it a lot. The availability of his expertise is a factor behind other drivers getting the kit. If I were in the market for a belt car I would get one.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

coolrcdad, if you are refering to Travis Shreven, let him know Neil said hi.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Wink

Jonesr,

Juraj Hudy did run the T1R at the Snowbirds and did pretty well. He obviously is not the top driver in the country and with that said he did pretty good.... I have been told that Travis Schreven built a T1R and on his battery and he turned faster laps than he ever had with his EVO2 at his home carpet track in Washington state......

Me personally: I am getting ready to build up a brand new EVO2 to compare my T1R. From what I remember of my last EVO2 I "THINK" I like it better, but I am going to build one for the real test....

I can say that in mod I liked the front pillow ball better. Car holds a lot better in high speed on power sweepers...

Both cars have me confused Is the EVO2 worth all of the extra money is the real question??????? ~
Old 06-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Default Thanks Rob

I am glad that Rob put his .02 in because he is one of the guys I was speaking of. I think I was correct in saying that he likes the car but is still up in the air as to which is better. I will say it again....either car would not be a major mistake.....if you have the cash it may be more econmical to buy the evo 2 and then back fit to the raycer....it would cost more to buy the raycer and go to the evo 2 chassis. I do like both cars!
Old 06-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I know Travis Schreven and he said that the car is much smoother and easier to drive. I do believe he has turned faster laps with the T1R than he ever did with the evo2. I would get the T1R mostly because lots of people are having great success with it and it's also much cheeper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.